Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1948 Ford F1 with a 226 flathead 6 cylinder with a 4 speed T8 spur box/crash box transmission. Motor blew up. I have a Cummins 4bt motor in my shed for years now. My truck has been a farm truck all its life, and I love the unsynchronized 4 speed. Great for what I use the truck for, and I love the Cummins motors.. with that being said, can you swap in a Cummins 4bt with the t8 crash box 4 speed? I'm aware of all the modifications itd take to put the 4bt in, just wondering if the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, is available for that trans? Keep in mind this truck is a farm truck. Never sees speeds over 45 mph. Is it possible? Am I crazy? Give me your opinions!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a 1948 Ford F1 with a 226 flathead 6 cylinder with a 4 speed T8 spur box/crash box transmission. Motor blew up. I have a Cummins 4bt motor in my shed for years now. My truck has been a farm truck all its life, and I love the unsynchronized 4 speed. Great for what I use the truck for, and I love the Cummins motors.. with that being said, can you swap in a Cummins 4bt with the t8 crash box 4 speed? I'm aware of all the modifications itd take to put the 4bt in, just wondering if the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, is available for that trans? Keep in mind this truck is a farm truck. Never sees speeds over 45 mph. Is it possible? Am I crazy? Give me your opinions!! Thanks!
Somewhere in the around 1960-1965, the mounting pattern (i.e, boltholes in the transmission where it bolted to the bellhousing) for the Ford truck transmission. Start with this research. Then you have to worry about the input shaft length. I no longer remember the details, 30 years ago I stuffed a chevy small block V-8 into a 1959 Ford F250 and retained the Ford 4 speed manual transmission.

Consider a complete Ford/Cummins set from a 1980's bread van (adapter plate, flywheel, bellhousing, hydraulic slave cylinder, etc). You will need to buy everything. This package was engineered bolt up to the 4bt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to see another old ford truck owner here. I am currently trying to fit a ISB 170 into a 1952 F3. My biggest concern for you keeping the trans is I believe the torque of the 4bt will make short work of the trans. Unless you do just plan on driving around the farm and don't need the power for anything.

·
Registered
10,922 Posts
Does the 4bt you have in the shed have the Ford flywheel and adapter plate? The stock Ford transmission on those engine would have been either the T19 or a few had the NP435. Both those are extremely durable and might cost you less than adapting the T8 to a modern engine.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The NP-540 series is a 5 speed, looks just like a 435, just one more shift rail, which would give closer ratios.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts