Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this truck up recently from a guy who lost interest in the project.

He bought the rough truck, took the body off, cleaned and boxed in the frame.
Built an all new rear suspension and replaced the front end with Mustang II suspension.
Full airbag system.
Dual Optima batteries.
Dual Viair compressors.
Has an NV4500 manual trans.
Hydraulic clutch
Power Brakes
Power steering via 88 T-bird PS rack.
Intercooler
Home made fuel and air tank.
Custom fabbed piping.
Brand new front and rear glass with rubber installed.
Brand new remaining pre-tinted glass yet to be installed.

When I got it the high pressure line to the power steering pump was blown off. He told me that in advance.
Fixed the line.
Apparently the spool and spring in the PS pump was left out after he modified the tank to clear the P7100 injection pump. So no pressure regulation. I reinstalled the line not knowing.
Took it for a ride. Steering worked for about a half mile around my neighborhood but then quit. Line didn't blow off.

I sourced a new custom PS pump from PSC that uses a remote reservoir. Pump specifically spec'd for the rack pressure (1200 psi). With the remote reservoir I took care of the interference issue.
Replaced the rack with a brand new, not rebuilt unit from Speedway. I assumed the old rack got blown out from the unregulated pressure.
Steering is perfect now.

To do:
Just replaced the door latch mechanisms on both sides with repro units. Doors work perfect.
Bought the door window weatherstripping and misc parts to install the remaining glass. Still need a few more pieces.
Window regulator spring broken. Have to see if I can get just the springs. I think they are available.
Truck did not come with hood hinges. It was pinned on. I didn't like it so I bought the used hinge and spring assemblies on ebay. Working on that.
Airbag control has some issues. Need to go over the wiring and air lines. I think a check valve is missing and one solenoid isn't wired right.

This thing goes down the road beautifully. The 125 hp is more than enough to push this thing down the road. You can feel the torque.

20190906_203625.jpg

20190929_185814.jpg

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Very nice. By the way, the engine in bone stock form should be 130 HP. With minor tuning your could easily get to 200 HP. You are right that the high torque of these engines shows you don't have to have huge HP numbers.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
That swap looks great. Fits like a glove. I like the the cowl modification for the exhaust "stack." You may want to add an air filter setup to your TO DO list. Do you know what gears you are running in the rear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of the gears yet. Trans first is somewhat of a granny low. I start in second.
Yes definitely an air cleaner in the works.
Label on the motor says 125HP. Motor was built in 98 and remanufactured in 2009. Runs great.
Bought a set of used hood hinges. Got the hood on yesterday.

20190901_181400.jpg

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Now that's cool. Forget the parking brake, just dump the air bags! Do you have enough reserve air in the tank to allow you right back to ride height after an extreme dump?
Yes, the NV4500 has the granny low and overdrive. Should work well with the 4BT.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Which injection pump does that engine have? All the P3000 and P7100 pump engines were 130 HP. Could your's possibly be an A series pump? Model # on the pump would start PESP4A and a P pump would be PESP4P.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which injection pump does that engine have? All the P3000 and P7100 pump engines were 130 HP. Could your's possibly be an A series pump? Model # on the pump would start PESP4A and a P pump would be PESP4P.
P7100 Label on engine says 125hp
Engine built in 98 and remanned by Cummins in 2009

labe.jpg

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If you look at your ID plate in the lower right hand corner you see the CPL # 2264. That engine has the P3000 injection pump, not the P7100. If you look on the side of the injection pump there will be an ID plate for it. The last 4 digits in the part # will begin with a 3 telling you it's a P3000. The 2 pumps look identical from the outside but they are somewhat different inside. The CPL for the P7100 road engine would have been 1839 and it was the only one. You'll also note that engine has a lower RPM setting of 2200 RPM. The road engines were 2500 RPM. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. One update you may want to do is installing a higher RPM governor spring set. Not super expensive and will help with gear shifts. The governor on that pump is the same as the P7100 so a 3000 RPM governor spring set should do fine. They also come in 4000 RPM but you shouldn't need that. If you ever felt the need for more performance you could also change the torque plate, but from what you've said that shouldn't be necessary.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
411 Posts
Sweet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts