Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Been lurking for a while now trying to learn as much as possible before I really get started on my project. I have been in business for myself for the last 20+ years building suspension kits and frames for classic trucks. I was offered a truck of my Father-in-laws ranch about three years ago. The wheels set in motion and went to go grab it.

This thing is hammered. Not rusty, just beat to crap. The frame was broken into three pieces on the driver side and split in half on the passenger. Missing or otherwise sunbleached just about everything but it's free! Everything I own is either a standard cab pickup, early Ford Coupe or a motorcycle. Hard to take clients to lunch or whatever. So the plan is to stretch this into a crew cab and keep it as close to stock factory looking as I can.

The initial plan was a 4Bt but after a bunch of reading and cost analysis I decided to go with the new ISF3.8s3168 (maybe regret at a later date) but after seeing Bruisers Jeep conversion, talking with Cummins Tech friends, I decided to jump in with both feet and ordered one from Foton in China. It should be here in early July.

Before I committed to buying this engine I had already started on building the chassis. I was selling off old projects like my 1974 Puma (liked it, just didn't love it) My 1959 Harley Sportster and bits and bobs I had collected over the years to pay for the components to build the chassis the way I wanted. First up was getting the truck apart and the frame blasted. What a mess I got back.

Since I'm in the business, I drew up the stock frame on my Alibre' CAD program and did some mock ups with a junk '56 F100 Cab and Doors I have to determine I wanted to stretch the frame 29" for the look I wanted.

The front suspensions I use are 1987-96 Dodge Dakota 2WD. These things are rugged and they drive really well. Plus they are the correct size and capacity for these earlier trucks with a track width of 61" you can use a variety of common wheels inexpensively. They share the same ball joints as the '73-93 full size, the upper spindle is also the same up to the 3/4 ton. So the brakes are interchangeable. The extra length of the truck told me I need to do some stiffening. I fabricated a mirror boxing plate that fits inside the existing rail and widens the rail to 2.75". I also drew up and fabricated the center X-member to help carry the new loads and strengthen the chassis in beam and in torsion. I used an 80's GM Hydroboost and master cylinder and will use the stock brake pedal arm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 1968 F100 Dana 60 Semi-Float posi rear hanging out on the rack out back for years. It was in a customers 1949 International Harvester Panel Truck. He didn't want it but I knew then what a neat piece it was so I hung on to it for nearly 15 years now. It's perfect for my project here. Sadly it has seen some pretty hard use in the past, but it is rebuildable.

3.54:1 gears with a Posi-Lok differential, score!

Most of the hard parts are in good condition. The clutches and steels were junk. Axles have seen better days.

Ordered my wheels, caps and rings from Performance Plus in CA. Nice guys to deal with and free shipping. They are Wheel Vintiques 14 Series 17"X 7" 5 on 5.5" Bolt circle with a 4.5" backspace. Calipers are Wilwood D52 on a custom bracket and the rotors are StopTECH 1983 D150.

Today I received the gears, bearings, clutch packs and a new Spicer 1410 yoke. Still have to order up the rear brakes and axles. I'm still a bit in the uncommitted column on my rear suspension. But for now I think I am going to do a triangulated four bar with Bilstein Coil Overs and a pair of Firestone 9000 taper sleeve bags. I do want to pull an enclosed trailer or haul my 1963 HD Panhead around with this.

I have been reading on transmissions for this engine and am convinced to do an Allison 1000 6speed. It looks like the logical choice here. Still uncertain about the wiring, but I'm still reading.

·
Registered
11,524 Posts
Very nice work. In choosing a transmission, what bellhousing configuration is available on the ISF. If it's SAE 3 then the Allison 1000 would be a logical choice since those come mated to Cummins as well as others. Some modern Cummins even have an Allison transmission control attached to the ECM. I know the ISBe4.5 does but that engine isn't available in the US. We do see some ISBe3.9's with the Allison 1000 on occasions. This should be a really nice rig. Keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bellhousing is SAE 3

I believe you are correct about the interface. The Allison seems the perfect choice here. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to do the same powertrain in a 48 Ford F1 I built for him a while back. Trying to get him over here. He's been posting on FTE http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1382770-the-great-engine-choice-debate-gasoline-or-diesel.html

I am going to miss working on this for the next two weeks, I have the LA Roadster show to do next weekend over in Pomona, been working like a dog to get product ready. Then the following week is a fun motorcycle show and I get to ride my '57 Triumph around the hills in Silverado CA. Otherwise I'm itching to get back on this build.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Elpolacko, I have followed your builds on the hamb. Absolutely amazing. The rat rod rebuild was nothing but pure fabrication master piece. I am very excited to follow this build. I don't venture to the hamb much anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since Ryan changed the HAMB format and started clamping down on the rowdy posts and off topic stuff, I find myself there maybe once a week. Since I reintroduced my Dakota IFS kit I have been getting back into Classic Trucks. I still do a ton of 32 Ford stuff of which I'm bringing out to the Roadster show next weekend.

Maybe someday Mr Funk will get his sh** together and finish that thing. In the meanwhile I have a 51 Chevy Coupe that should be an even crazier build.

Thanks for the kudos, I appreciate it a bunch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dear ELPolacko:

Great task you have undertaken here! (I went and google your FB and you have AMAZING work there too.)

Kudos to you and also to those responsible for this superb! forum 4BTSwaps.

I´m impressed for your task ahead and the skills demonstrated. This got me thinking about a term we often see around as buzzword :idea: "open innovation". It´s amazing what can be done these days.

And is even more amazing that people share the knowledge and how-tos of that. I started doing design in Automotive industry like 15 years ago, (interior cosmetic stuff like climate controllers) and I remember a figure just for a 3D CAD license back then, was in the ball park of 15 K USD... Not counting the workstation and such. Just to get these ideas out of your mind.

Which get´s me thinking. How we can start a thread or section on "cool ideas to dream of".

One of such: How about to transform a 1000 Allison transmission to be a Hybrid like this:

( I can´t post link, google "Allison Hybrid H 40 EP and H 50 EP") if you want to look at it.

Will be extra cool to see a truck as the one you set your mind to, with a hybrid tranny to make it a Plug In for daily drive, and all the torque on a 4BT when your batteries are empty and for the once or twice a week big tow.

Again Kudos to all the free thinkers and hard workers that make this forum.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you should have kept the bolted together frame section in place. Make it like a dining room table where you can add or remove a leaf in the middle. Go regular or crew cab depending on the mood you're in.

Kidding aside- amazing work! Can't wait to see it finished! Out of curiosity, how long will it take you to build it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA!

The Father-in -law gave me the rest of his trucks and a 51 Kaiser as well as a 52 Caddilac engine sitting in a '49 Lincoln Conti. Maybe one of those projects could get turned into art....

Found an Allison 1000MH trans on Ebay, it has the parking drum on the back and I asked if it has the park pawl. Already has an SAE 3 on it. Might just work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice frame! Looks like this will be a build to follow.

From the Allison transmission brochure, there is no listed GVW or GCW for the 3000 and 4000 series. Does this mean there is no weight restriction on them?

·
Registered
11,524 Posts
BrandonMag the Allsion brochure rates the 3000 series at 80,000 lbs GVW. The 4000 series isn't rated since it's capacity is greater than anything you're allowed on the highway without a special permit. The 4000 weighs between 800-1200 lbs depending on model. They will handle more torque than semi trucks generally can produce.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Love the rendering, never seen anything like it. 4X4?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@things, two wheel drive. I'm not an off-road guy. This will be my new daily driver, mostly highway miles.

Been itching to get back on the truck, this last weekend I was at the LA Roadster Show swapmeet selling and this weekend we're headed over to Silverado CA for the Born Free show. I'm without a running Harley, so I "have" to ride my old Triumph.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great work so far! I just got a '48 F5 that I'm planning on doing a conversion. Will be watching this build with excitement! Cool Triumph too....I love the British bikes. I have a '69 BSA 650L. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts