Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 1962 Farmall 504 diesel tractor that has been in the family since new. This summer, it started making a hellacious knocking noise. Turns out that the dry sleeve came out of the cylinder but somehow didn't cause any catastrophic damage to the rest of the rotating assembly.

Since this engine was only used in 504's and 340's (which they didn't make very many of), parts are barely available and super expensive. Lucky for us, Leaman Tractor Parts out of Pennsylvania makes adapter plates.

Out with the old:

New:

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Can't see the other side but that appears to be a P pump engine. Going to be a hot rod tractor. The original D188 engine was around 45 HP. You'll now have 3 times that. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't see the other side but that appears to be a P pump engine. Going to be a hot rod tractor. The original D188 engine was around 45 HP. You'll now have 3 times that. Should be interesting.
Yeah it's a VE set at 125 hp. I think I'll try to turn it down to around 90ish to help the rest of the tractor live.

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
You would have probably been fine with a non turbo engine. The turbo appears to be an HX30W which made me think P pump. The stock power may be OK, but not sure how strong the clutch was on those. You might be plowing in 4th gear instead of 2nd. Get done twice as fast. LOL.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would have probably been fine with a non turbo engine. The turbo appears to be an HX30W which made me think P pump. The stock power may be OK, but not sure how strong the clutch was on those. You might be plowing in 4th gear instead of 2nd. Get done twice as fast. LOL.
I have a much beefier clutch disc and pressure plate coming. We mostly use it for PTO work, which should stand up to 100 hp pretty easy with a little work to the pto clutch. If we tried to run 90 or 100 hp through the transmission to the ground, we wouldn't have much of of a transmission or torque amplifier left.

The turbo is an HX30, I wanted it so we would have good low end torque - same reasoning behind the VE pump instead of a p-pump.

As for the non turbo option, if we wanted that, we would have just fixed the stock engine (it would have been cheaper than this swap is going to be). I am a firm believer that all engines should have turbo's and we tend to have a bit of a horsepower habit on the farm (700 hp semis, tuned up tractors, chips on combines, etc).

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
You'd probably find the transmissions and gears in these old tractors are grossly overbuilt. For your intended use you probably don't need to turn anything down. PTO probably isn't going to load it all that much. Probably could plow with it and the engine would just be loafing along. As long as you have a good HD clutch, I wouldn't be too concerned about the gears. After all, even if you plow you're only using the plows fitted to that tractor. You'd just be pulling with less effort from the engine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Man, this is so cool. Never thought I would see a tractor swap on here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think it rocks! Old man I used to know passed away a month ago, God rest him. He was planning a 4bt swap just like this for his field tractor, I`m really bummed out that I didnt get to show him my build before it was done! I would of loved to see him do this swap to.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I completely forgot about this thread.

Yes, we did finish the swap a couple of years ago. Runs great, our only complaint is that it tingles your hands if you have to run it all day. I will try to get some pictures next time we are grinding grain with it. Just about keeps up with our 4440's for PTO work.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
... I'm all over the place on reading & wanting to do some swap.
I don't even remember asking that question.
. I had wondered about putting the 4BT into several different tractors . But thanks for posting up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts