Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
5126FE57-9737-450D-85A7-D095AE0442A9.jpg 748F3F86-E957-436B-83AA-5F27C2EDC34A.jpg 50E96330-1DF7-4E0B-B17D-882717E657D2.jpg

Finished fuel cell bracket. It will go between frame rails and mount tank in rear. I’ll take to powder coat next week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
1D5CB4D9-841B-4218-932E-BB19AC207CCB.jpg 6412C3E0-8EAF-4A35-9833-40D6C2DD2218.jpg EEEFBCC8-EFEC-4CCB-A8DC-9B3622A52343.jpg

Fuel cell in the frame. Just need to find a place for the trans cooler. Think I’ll mount under bed behind driver side on outside of frame rail.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Looking nice there. I noticed your hose fittings. Are you planning on using flexible fuel lines? On diesel, we generally see metal lines except right where they connect up at the ends. You can use the rubber type lines so long as it's diesel compatible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Looking nice there. I noticed your hose fittings. Are you planning on using flexible fuel lines? On diesel, we generally see metal lines except right where they connect up at the ends. You can use the rubber type lines so long as it's diesel compatible.
I have line that is rated. Thanks for concern

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Mount for trans cooler is mocked up. Might build an air scoop to help it out while cruising, not sure if it will be a low pressure area behind the cab in that location. Just running out of room upfront.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow!

This is an awesome build with incredible craftsmanship. Great Work, look forward to seeing it complete.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
One hour a day is better than no hour. Got enough of the tunnel done, now I can pull cab and finish firewall. Once done it’s a run to finish line. It will get exciting in about a month and half. Cheap o brake worked out ok. My OCD is killing me, don’t look at the mess. I’m working in a 20’ x 22’ garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
That transmission tunnel is looking very nice. Don't worry about a bit of clutter in the garage. We'd think you weren't human if it was spotless clean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sprayed some chassis black on firewall and hit the underside with some undercoating. Looking like it’s time to run some stainless brake line on the rolling chassis then bring it back in garage and set the cab on one last time. D846CBD9-7A41-4B87-922E-CFF37C26329C.jpg bounce

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The cab is back on and bolted down. Got the front clip mated and I need to start messing with fitting intercooler. I already have this large one out of the donor truck but I’m thinking it might just be well worth to get one that will fit better. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
With intercoolers the general rule is bigger is better. One thing I notice is you have the intercooler behind the radiator. That in normally not done. The intercooler should be out front, then ac condenser if you have one, and then the radiator. Having the radiator in front will make it less efficeient. Compressed air coming from a turbo can get quite a bit hotter than engine coolant. Under full boost you might have 300 deg F air or a tad more. That's one of the reasons those tube boots are silicone rubber.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
With intercoolers the general rule is bigger is better. One thing I notice is you have the intercooler behind the radiator. That in normally not done. The intercooler should be out front, then ac condenser if you have one, and then the radiator. Having the radiator in front will make it less efficeient. Compressed air coming from a turbo can get quite a bit hotter than engine coolant. Under full boost you might have 300 deg F air or a tad more. That's one of the reasons those tube boots are silicone rubber.
The intercooler is just sitting there for reference on its size. It will be in front of radiator. I just don’t want to go all surgical on the rad support yet. Just wondering if anyone has links to intercooler parts, end tanks, etc to see options. Otherwise I will use this Garrett one I have and start fitting it. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Went on F100today build thread of his 67 F100 and got an idea. Found a core that is 24x12x4 ~ 1152 in3. I’ll get it ordered this week. The current intercooler is 39x11x2 ~ 858 in3. F100today did an amazing job, great thread to read.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts