Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Yes, F100today's build is one of those in a class most of us can't reach. It has definite drool factor. I admire guys with such talent. I'm not one of them. I can imagine something but don't have the magic or the tools to make it a reality.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Got new intercooler and it’s going to fit much nicer than the donor one. Need to just trim the grill a little and it’s good. I’ll order some aluminum 3” tubing and start making up the intercooler piping. It feels nice to start seeing it come together, but so much to do still. Keep on keeping on.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Went at the intercooler piping. Went through my pile of aluminum tubing and found some pieces to get started. Actually had all but one piece, a 45 degree is all I need to finish. Cut pipe with a band saw and then sand the ends with a DA sander. Used the bead roller to lip the ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Anyone know what turbo blanket fits a HY30w. Can’t find much if on the turbo, I think it’s a T28 flange. Also if got any technical data sheet would help too. Thanks

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Did you mean HY30W or HX30W? Irregardless, they don't actually make one specifically for those turbos. Seems there was a member trying to get a number of people signed up to have some custom made. Other option would be have the turbine housing ceramic coated and possibly also the exhaust manifold. Not a cheap option. Might cost $600 or more for both depending on what grade of ceramic is used.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Did you mean HY30W or HX30W? Irregardless, they don't actually make one specifically for those turbos. Seems there was a member trying to get a number of people signed up to have some custom made. Other option would be have the turbine housing ceramic coated and possibly also the exhaust manifold. Not a cheap option. Might cost $600 or more for both depending on what grade of ceramic is used.
HY30W. I’ll order a T28 blanket with a waste gate cutout and wrap the rest and see how that goes. Found a service manual from Holeset, just no technical data on the thing.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
The HY30W isn't a very common turbo on most swaps. Seems like that one came on the ISB 3.9 engines and had a 42mm inducer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Putting some wiring together. Getting a small distribution center made up for the ECM and TCM. Convoluted tubing works great and cost efficient. In future I might put together a new harness and set up with DR25, but not a track car nor a show truck. Maybe when I go through the setup of a aftermarket ECM I will go down that route.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Guess what, more wire. I’ll be wiring awhile. Made a bezel plate for a switch panel to fit in dash. Added LED warning lights and such to switch panel. Got a new NSBU for the Allison as when buzzing out the switch for the starter relay I found it NG. Made a little aluminum bracket for the engine bay distribution Block. I’m going to need to put batteries in the bed. Will need to order some cable. Been pricing it out and think I’m just going to go 4/0, and never worry about voltage drop to starter. Got to eat to keep going too. Marinated some lamb and through it on the kabob machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Have been searching for a trans dipstick for this Allison. The industrial dipstick will not work(it ugly), also tried multiple stock ones from other models. Finally order a Lokar for a 4L80E, 36 inch long firewall mount. I took the flexible tube apart(braided PTFE hose) and cut 2 inches off. Put back together and measured it against the industrial one and well now I have a dipstick. Perfect. Just need to get a p cushion clamp and another item off the list. Wish Lokar would just make one. I’m sure the Chevy guys would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
4/0 cable ought to be sufficient for most things that walk, crawl, or fly. LOL. That's a seriously big wire. 4/0 welding cable is a little over $4 per foot so not super expensive. Welding cable is often a lot more flexible than battery cables due to the fine strands. Wire and Cable shows that has 2054 strands of I believe 30 ga wire. Here's a link. https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/4-0-welding-cable-class-k.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeScldqW5AIV9Y5bCh2HoAw8EAQYAyABEgLIX_D_BwE

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
4/0 cable ought to be sufficient for most things that walk, crawl, or fly. LOL. That's a seriously big wire. 4/0 welding cable is a little over $4 per foot so not super expensive. Welding cable is often a lot more flexible than battery cables due to the fine strands. Wire and Cable shows that has 2054 strands of I believe 30 ga wire. Here's a link. https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/4-0-welding-cable-class-k.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeScldqW5AIV9Y5bCh2HoAw8EAQYAyABEgLIX_D_BwE
Actually I took some 2/0 I have and ran it. Thought I had an issue with cable size. I later thought maybe it’s the starter. Well, it was the starter. So I’m actually running 2/0 for the cable. Thanks for the link. They actually have some good pricing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Anyone know what the service brake signal is used for within the ECM? From what I see it’s just used for cruise control, to cut it out. I just don’t want to rig it up if that’s all that it is for. Plus I don’t have another switch contact that is normally closed. I guess I could set up relays off the brake switch if I need to with an 87A contact on a Bosch. Only other use for the signal I can think of would be idle control or cutting power while brake is pressed (basically preventing burnouts).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
So if anyone is interested. The brake switch is used for cruise control and idle controls. It is needed if anyone else is running a common rail. Found a switch from painless wiring that will work. Part number 80176. Also found same switch at Napa, Part #: MPE SL186SB. A lot of LS swap guys are using this switch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So I can’t figure out this new formatting of forum. Anyways got truck running and maybe post things later if I can figure out how to upload a video.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts