Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·

·
Registered
667 Posts
I used that brake for everything on this truck, the firewall and trans tunnel. I used 18 gauge steel. The airbox is .060” aluminum, bends just fine.
Do you know the alloy of the .060" aluminum? Common alloys of aluminum sheet are 3003 and 5052. Thanks.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Fxsu, very nice build! I just found this thread today and read the whole build. Are you running the stock 5 speed Allison? I'm starting my second build and picked up a 6 speed from a Duramax that I hope I can make work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Hey Fxsu, very nice build! I just found this thread today and read the whole build. Are you running the stock 5 speed Allison? I'm starting my second build and picked up a 6 speed from a Duramax that I hope I can make work.
Thank you appreciate it. Yes, I am using the Allison 5 speed. It’s holding up great so far. I mainly drive 55-60 mph. Every now and then hit the interstate at 70-75 mph, rpm goes up to 2000-2100. A 6 speed would be nice, but I might just get some taller rear tires. Engine has plenty of torque to keep pushing the truck. I have been able to go WOT and shift at 3300 rpm, spins tires on 1-2 shift. Every little town I go through people love it. Took it to a show and people swarm to it, gets more looks than some high end cars. I found a dyno available couple miles away, Guy on the way to Yosemite of all places. going to see if I can run it. Should be back from work in a few more weeks. I’ll update then. Good luck on the 6 speed, hopefully you can get the TCM reprogramming done. Please post results of what you come up with. Maybe the TC210 torque converter will work off the 5 speed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Need the big Cummins decal for the back window, really makes people look. ;>)
It will be very interesting to see the dyno numbers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 6-speed bolted to my ISB170 but haven't started on the wiring yet. I read the Allison swap guide thread and think I can make it work but just haven't started on that part yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will be very interested in how you make out. Your using the stock Duramax TCM?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
After longs months of way to much work and then giving time to the family, I got to play with the truck again. Got a water/methanol kit for my birthday and it really helps this engine pull on the top end. Pulls to 90 mph real good now. Still hoping to get to the dyno one day, but work is just not letting down. Always a good thing to have more work than none at all, feeds the hotrod addiction.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Speaking off addiction, a few gems found there way to my yard.
1961 C10
1979 C10 heavy half ton shortbed chassis. And trying to snag a 70 El Camino, maybe.

Now I just need to find another Diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
After longs months of way to much work and then giving time to the family, I got to play with the truck again. Got a water/methanol kit for my birthday and it really helps this engine pull on the top end. Pulls to 90 mph real good now. Still hoping to get to the dyno one day, but work is just not letting down. Always a good thing to have more work than none at all, feeds the hotrod addiction.
What size spray nozzle are you running?
I added a system to my Dakota a few years ago and never noticed any change even when towing. Looks like the same tank and pump but different label.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
What size spray nozzle are you running?
I added a system to my Dakota a few years ago and never noticed any change even when towing. Looks like the same tank and pump but different label.
I have a 375 ml/min nozzle in. I am using a progressive controller. I just got another solenoid so I will install a dual shot next. I think the 375 is a little much at lower boost levels. With the dual shot I will start with a 175 ml/min on progressive starting at 12 psi and 100% at 20 psi, then hit a power nozzle 100 ml/min at 25psi. Hopefully get to the dyno one day, but just been to busy. Attached is a nozzle selection chart from nitrous express website. I’m using the 200 hp recommendation, but not sure if this chart is for gasoline engines or diesel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Does anyone know why a Allison would start make a grinding noise. Then when I apply throttle while driving the trans makes a horrendous squeal around 2000 rpms and will not accelerate as it once has. I think my transmission is smoked.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does anyone know why a Allison would start make a grinding noise. Then when I apply throttle while driving the trans makes a horrendous squeal around 2000 rpms and will not accelerate as it once has. I think my transmission is smoked.
Oh no! Maybe time for that 6 speed or the ZF 8 speed!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Since truck is down, I got irritated and cleaned it up a bit

factory ugliness

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
After- Cleaned up ugliness. Used a HD30 bulkhead connector. Moved TCM behind glovebox.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very nice!

141 - 160 of 171 Posts