Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ya I have owed a couple of I 6 fords loved them ya gonna 4 barrel it I have an AVS 500cfm and gonna put the Log style exhaust manifold flows better than the EFI ones and maybe a Clifford cam a turbocharger would be cool but not sure how that would fair in a work truck and still need mileage. I know the inputs are different on the transmissions as well I’m just hoping the gears and synchros are the same.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
NP OD trans'(540 series) are awkward with a load since OD is taken from the 3rd gear position, so shifting up with a load or on a hill one must go from 2nd to direct which usually will not work, so will be stuck in the lower gear 'til top of hill.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ya I own a Bobbed Deuce with a Spicer 3053a it’s a very strong transmission as for the Poly it is dubby that because of the Polyshperical heads. It’s also dubbed the Semi Hemi.
Yeah, you're talking about the Chrysler A engine. Their good engines, but the later LA and Magnum 318 engines had better longevity.

That is definitely a cool video of a Jeep engine making that kind of power. The reason I also like the inline 6s they make there full torque very early in there RPM range and definitely wanting and OD transmission to help with mileage.
Where an engine makes full torque has nothing to do with number of cylinders or configuration. The saying "There's no replacement for displacement" has always been true, and the powerband is determined primarily by induction and head flow vs RPM as well as the cam profile. Stroke and rod/stroke ratio have an influence, but not nearly as much as induction and cam. I could build a 318 to have more torque at as low of an RPM as any 300 I6, yet would wind a bit higher and make more power. Simple physics. That said, inline 6's have a cool factor all their own, so if thats what you want I say go for it.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Withe 300 Ford engine, a ZF 5 speed is basically an bolt on. The engine has the same bellhousing as a small block Ford. No worry about how to adapt a different transmission.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
OTOH, with the Jeep I6, the NSG370 6-speed manual is a bolt-on ;)

The coolest setup would probably be the Chevy 292, which has a standard SBC/BBC bellhousing pattern that can accept any trans ever bolted to a SBC or BBC... or Duramax! That includes the best (IMHO) manual trans ever put in a ¾ and 1 ton pickup, the ZF S6-650 six speed! It's a big sucker though, so some tunnel mods may be in order, but it would be worth it :cool:

81 - 87 of 87 Posts