Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ya I have owed a couple of I 6 fords loved them ya gonna 4 barrel it I have an AVS 500cfm and gonna put the Log style exhaust manifold flows better than the EFI ones and maybe a Clifford cam a turbocharger would be cool but not sure how that would fair in a work truck and still need mileage. I know the inputs are different on the transmissions as well I’m just hoping the gears and synchros are the same.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
NP OD trans'(540 series) are awkward with a load since OD is taken from the 3rd gear position, so shifting up with a load or on a hill one must go from 2nd to direct which usually will not work, so will be stuck in the lower gear 'til top of hill.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ya I own a Bobbed Deuce with a Spicer 3053a it’s a very strong transmission as for the Poly it is dubby that because of the Polyshperical heads. It’s also dubbed the Semi Hemi.
Yeah, you're talking about the Chrysler A engine. Their good engines, but the later LA and Magnum 318 engines had better longevity.

That is definitely a cool video of a Jeep engine making that kind of power. The reason I also like the inline 6s they make there full torque very early in there RPM range and definitely wanting and OD transmission to help with mileage.
Where an engine makes full torque has nothing to do with number of cylinders or configuration. The saying "There's no replacement for displacement" has always been true, and the powerband is determined primarily by induction and head flow vs RPM as well as the cam profile. Stroke and rod/stroke ratio have an influence, but not nearly as much as induction and cam. I could build a 318 to have more torque at as low of an RPM as any 300 I6, yet would wind a bit higher and make more power. Simple physics. That said, inline 6's have a cool factor all their own, so if thats what you want I say go for it.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Withe 300 Ford engine, a ZF 5 speed is basically an bolt on. The engine has the same bellhousing as a small block Ford. No worry about how to adapt a different transmission.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OTOH, with the Jeep I6, the NSG370 6-speed manual is a bolt-on ;)

The coolest setup would probably be the Chevy 292, which has a standard SBC/BBC bellhousing pattern that can accept any trans ever bolted to a SBC or BBC... or Duramax! That includes the best (IMHO) manual trans ever put in a ¾ and 1 ton pickup, the ZF S6-650 six speed! It's a big sucker though, so some tunnel mods may be in order, but it would be worth it :cool:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well guys I know it’s been a bit my truck is now home. I have a deal worked out for a Chevy P30 step van with a 4bt and a GM400 or 425 automatic transmission it need s a starter to drive it home. I’m trying to locate a cheap starter for it and trying to make sure I have the correct part number. I am wanting to put a Spicer 3053a in it and have no clue what exactly I need to do that with what bellhousing and adapter flywheel and starter will I need to swap the Chevy auto out. I wasn’t sure if the Chevy C60 stuff would work or how i should approach this.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Googling Spicer 3053a I see a SAE bellhousing. What engine / transmission is in your donor Chevy C60?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I am getting a 1974 Chevy step van p30 with a 4bt and I think a 400 auto or maybe an Allison but want to swap the auto for a stick shift for my Dodge. I will know tomorrow what trans is in it for sure. I want to swap in a Spicer 3053a but not sure what would be the easiest way to do that.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The first year of the 4bt was 1983 or 1984 (depends on what source you believe). The 4bt was installed at a later date - A common retrofit for the bread and chip companies. Turbo 400 has a Chevy bellhousing pattern and an Allison should have a SAE bellhousing pattern (subject to confirmation). Very different bellhousings - get a positive confirmation (pictures help) before expending too much effort on how to proceed. My knowledge ends at Ford bellhousings - I can not help any more...

Good luck

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Don't believe any of the P30 vans had an Allison. I think they all got the TH475 which is a slightly beefed up version of the TH400 or a few got a manual transmission. Same bellhousing bolt pattern as the TH400. As Russ mentioned, the 4b/4bt came out in '84 and was used in Case industrial applications. The road versions were probably around '87 or '88.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Ya I figured it was a retrofit need to figure out what starter to get some of the information I read was conflicting on the part numbers. So if it’s a Chevy bell pattern how would I go about swapping in the 3053a?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
My thing is what would be the best approach to swap everything over for the Spicer would I be able to use the adapter ring bellhousing and flywheel off a 366cid from a C60? Or would I have to go another route to make that happen. I own a Bobbed deuce with the Spicer so I know that trans like the back of my hand.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
.... As Russ mentioned, the 4b/4bt came out in '84 and was used in Case industrial applications. The road versions were probably around '87 or '88.
1986 CPL 727 here - Verified on Quickserve

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
A Spicer 3053A has an SAE3 bolt pattern. You'd need an SAE3 adapter on the engine along with the matching flywheel and clutch. Those are fairly common items for a B series Cummins. There are several styles engine adapters for SAE3. I believe there are 3 different starter placements. High on the passenger's side, mid point on that side, and around mid point on the driver's side. Of course you'd also need the appropriate SAE starter. Adapter 3903282 puts the starter around the 1 o'clock position on the passenger's side. That can be a problem with a low rear mounted turbo. Adapter 3904717 puts the starter at the 3 o'clock position on the passenger's side. That is probably better for a low mounted turbo but might still be an issue. Most industrial engines had the turbo in a high mounted position so the starter location wasn't an issue. I believe adapter 3925223 is the one with the turbo in the 9 o'clock position on the driver's side. You should verify these numbers with Cummins and there can quite probably be new numbers for any of these. I try not to make mistakes but it does happen sometimes. Below are photos of each of these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thank you that information maybe someone might want to trade for the plate I have. I posted in one of the starter threads I cannot find exactly what starter I need the trans is a 3 speed and is believed to be the turbo 400 or the hd variant. I am trying find a cheap as possible one as I’m not keeping the automatic transmission. Im quite confused ?‍♀

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
If you have the stock Cummins 4bt GM or Ford adapter plate they both use the same starter. Stock starter is Denso part 128000-0545. Not sure about that one you show from Amazon. Doesn't really show a part # and it's in Spanish. The cheap clones are usually in the $90 range. A genuine one I've seen priced from $165 to over $350, depending on who's selling it. There is a starter spacer 3934080 (old number 3906647) that should be on the adapter plate. If it happens to be missing you will need that for the starter teeth to properly engage the flywheel. It's kind of an expensive little devil. Around $120 or more. You can also use a Ford 7.3 starter. With that one you don't use the Cummins spacer but need a centering ring. Member Eggman has made that part for members.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts