Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Thank you so much for that info I read on here I believe that the GM adapters 3 I think in total 1 or more can have an issue mounting the rounded nose starter vs the one that looks like steps. What does that fella charge for that ring btw?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
There should be no issue on the stock starter so long as it's a true Denso design and not some clone interpretation. You'd need to contact Steve (Eggman) on the part to use a 7.3 starter. I've had him do work for me and he's very reasonable. I can tell you from experience that all the 7.3 starters you get at the auto parts stores aren't exactly equal either. The last one I bought came from Ford and it seem a lot more powerful than the cheap rebuilt units. It was also as expensive as crap too. Around $350.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Yikes ya i found one on eBay with that number you gave me. I’m just gonna pull the transmission and adapter plate and sell them. I am driving down tomorrow so I can look at it in person and see if the starter is the issue he’s saying he got it to click today said it might be a loose wire plus I’m bringing 2 good batteries just to make sure what I’m dealing with. I’ll report back ASAP I’ll need all the help and advice I can get lol ?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Yeah, bad wiring connections can always be a possible issue, both on the positive cable and the ground. Also, many times the actual starter motor isn't an issue but some of the small parts that engage it need replacing. I believe there are kits to repair those, but most usually go for a rebuilt or replacement unit. What transmission are you planning on changing to?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I am going to a Spicer 3053a I am gonna try to jump the starter if the solenoid is bad I only need it to start once to drive it home. My son and I are driving to it this morning to assess the situation. I m bringing a bunch of tools to hopefully get it to start and drive

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Good luck - As a side note, check the date code on the tires. My 1986 bread van did not have date codes on the tires - which meant that the tires were made before 1990. I drive it for about 15 months before it bit me in the ass... (Loud BANG and the tread started pealing off - It did not blow and I was able to drive it home s--l--o--w--l--y).

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Well I had a tire go bang and the front caliper locked up scraped a semi when it happened he kept driving but van is fine I’m safe and had a wrecker bring it the rest of the way home it ran really good with how long it sat. Will move it to its final resting place and I got it on a straight trade for my 82 Chevy g20 van also had tools tool box gas powered air compressor in it and a generator also got a free engine crane. The tow was 460$ but even with that still got a hell of a deal

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That was a wild ride... Glad it worked out OK.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Well guys we got the van in it’s final resting place yesterday I am now trying to figure out what route to go with the manual transmission. I found a few gm nv4500s but read on here the flywheel is hard to come by and expensive. I am going to list the Gm auto Transmission and flex plate for sale or trade. I have been looking at Eaton/fullers spicers zf5s New ventures. It’s definitely a lot of information to take in. If I can get all I need all from one source would be great. I may sell the gm adapter plate as well if I can get everything I need for close to the sale price or trade straight up.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Ok I just got my membership I have to ask what would be a fair price if had to sell the gm adapter ,flex plate and the gm475 transmission?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Wouldn't really know what kind of price to ask on those parts. Have to realize the only person wanting those adapter parts is someone installing a GM transmission on a B series Cummins and most likely a 4bt. They do have value and if you went down to Cummins to buy them new you'd spend well over $3000. Ouch. Just the flex plate, wave ring, spacer, and bolts is probably over $1000. Now that GM adapter plate from Cummins is scary. The list price is around $2200, The TH475 isn't very popular on swaps because it has no lock up torque converter or overdrive. It's just a HD 3 speed automatic. Now for your options. If you wanted to use a GM NV4500 there are a couple routes. First would be keep the adapter plate and starter you have and find the flywheel. They are out there but not real cheap. There's a resurfaced used one on ebay for $695 plus $49.67 frt. Probably a fair price. On top of that you'd spend around $50 for the bolts and a little for the pilot bearing. So around $750. So long as the transmission has the standard GM bellhousing that would all bolt up nicely. If the transmissions was a '93-94 GM that would probably be the easiest option because it was different than later ones. If the transmission was from a '95 and up model you'd have 2 options. First would be the all GM parts as with the early type. Second would be change the input shaft and retainer to the Dodge type and use the adapter plate, flywheel, bellhousing, and starter from a '94-02 Dodge Cummins. Of course you could always use the Dodge NV4500 from a '94-02 Cummins. The Spicer 3053A has been mentioned and that would be a matter of using an SAE3 adapter plate, flywheel, and starter. The Eaton units could be SAE2 or SAE3 but most of those transmissions with OD gears tend to be very pricey. They are usually 6 speeds and up. The ZF's are good transmissions. The small block Ford version would require a Ford adapter plate and flywheel. Starter is the same as the GM. Unfortunately, those parts aren't so cheap anymore but they are out there. You could use the ZF from a 7.3 Ford F250/350 which has better gear ratios and a larger clutch. Takes a bit over $1500 in parts to do that. No real cheap way out.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
How would you mount the Big block zf5? Ya I am not sure what route to take I know the transmission shifted good when I drove it did lug hard when in gear and would stall if you didn’t idler it higher. I found a Gm nv4500 not sure of the year for 450$ I also found a zf5 diesel 2wd for 175$. I’m still trying to weigh in the best route to go.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
The other thing I’m still contemplating is now I have a GM 14bolt full float and a gm dually rear end and I now have 6 19.5 wheels and 4 8 lug 16 inch gm wheels still only have a Gm 10 bolt 8 lug front which I don’t think will be enough for my needs and been searching feverishly for a D60 front.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Well I have the NV4500 all worked out now to try to find this flywheel I found one through a company hoping to find one through a private seller. I’ll have to wait and see. I’ll start a build thread as soon as I at least have the transmission here. They sent me pics of the gears all look good it’s out of a 95 2wd.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
OK. Why does the '95 GM NV4500 suck? There is some bad info floating around. It's the '93-94 GM that is different. But all the GM model will bolt to your GM adapter plate. The main differences of the early style transmission were a different bolt pattern on the front and different gear ratios.The '95 GM NV4500 should have the same case as the Dodge NV4500. If you have the GM bellhousing on it the it will bolt right up to your GM 4bt adapter plate. Here's the listing to that flywheel I mentioned. Chevrolet Gm manual flywheel to Cummins 4bt 6bt Conversion | eBay These things are not common. Only a small percentage of the the GM applications were manual transmissions. This one has been resurfaced so it's in very good condition. Although the seller shows the part # to be 3913056 it is actually 3913055. The pilot bearing for that flywheel is a number 6302. The bolts to attach it to the crank are Cummins part 3901395 (8 req) and washers part 3900269 (8 req). Those bolts are special so Cummins or Case Tractors is about the only source. A Luk clutch for that flywheel is part # 99400 for the pressure plate and # 97501 for the clutch disc. If this is a 4x4 transmission you need to be aware that the output shaft on the GM transmission is 32 spline. It you have a divorced transfer case and a 2wd transmission that won't be a factor. Not sure what your setup is.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Ok thank you for all that information I started a build thread had pics!! Yes it’s a 2wd transmission out of a 95 and a divorced np201 transfer case. Ya a lot of misinformation online I got so confused I’m on my way to get the transmission as we speak got it for 400$ If you would post all those part numbers and links in my build thread would be a huge help. Thank you for all your help so far.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Does the transmission have the bellhousing attached to it? That would be a big plus. One less part to have to dig up. Here's the write up Novak has on the transmission that you can read about it. Sort of suspected you might have a divorce transfer case. 2wd transmissions are probably a bit cheaper than the 4x4 models as well. I saw you'd started a build thread. Good to see you getting to work on it. The Novak Guide to the NV4500 Transmission

101 - 120 of 121 Posts