Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I building a 65 chevy 4 door pick up with a 5.9 setting on a 3500 chevy
chassis, Its got a nv4500 5 speed and 3.42 dana 80.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is cool! Did you graft 2 cabs together to make the 4door. The rear section looks like a 60-63 model with the knee-knocker doors. I thought about building a 52 with two cabs grafted together.
Bob B.

·
Registered
66 Posts
im not a chevy guy, but ford also had a truck like this in the 60s it was a special order thing like for railroads and county trucks. ford started it back in the 50s? so chevy proly had the same thing going on .

·
Registered
915 Posts
Now that is just awesome. I am a classic chevy fan through and through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry to take so long to get back to you on my 4 door pickup
the body is part of 2 pickups,with the top off of a suburban, on the bed
i used a 95 chevy long bed (6" shorter) for the inside, suburban uppers and
pick up lower sides, I also used the suburban tail gate. on the doors, I made
a mold of the doors (65) and put the top of the 61 door post, the reason for
the fiberglass doors is because I can't find any rust free doors.
I just got it driving, It looks like it will get about 20mpg around town. I've got
a #6 plate in it.

65 crew

·
Registered
915 Posts
More pictures???

That sounds like quite a project. Keep us up to date as you finish it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
any pictures or tech info on conversion?clearance issues or problems? i have a 65 1ton on 73-91 frame now bbc.need to go diesel for mpg.

·
Registered
915 Posts
any pictures or tech info on conversion?clearance issues or problems? i have a 65 1ton on 73-91 frame now bbc.need to go diesel for mpg.
With that frame your will be alot like my conversion. I detailed it in a thread over in the build section. Your firewall and front clearance will be different, but the frame mods will be the biggest challenge most likely. Those old trucks are pretty deep with alot of room....I would think as much as the original body to the frame you are using.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kewl beans dude! One of my favorite vehicles EVER was a '64 Chevy SWB Bump Side!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
With that frame your will be alot like my conversion. I detailed it in a thread over in the build section. Your firewall and front clearance will be different, but the frame mods will be the biggest challenge most likely. Those old trucks are pretty deep with alot of room....I would think as much as the original body to the frame you are using.
The frame I used is a 4wd 1 ton 95 chevy, I removed the cv joints on the
frount and moved the rear crossmember forward about 4". the support bearing
was in the stock location. I relocated the body mounts to fit the 65 body.
the motor will fit if you put it back to the firewall, I put mine a little close, it
doesn't hit but I only have about 3/8". I used a 95 dodge radiator support, radiator, and intercooler. It was close. I've driven it about 400 miles now and
it's still getting just a little over 20mpg.
I post some more shots after thanksgiving.

65 crew
94 ram 2500 (5.9 cummins 326,000 miles)
90 chevy 1500 (3.9 cummins 5 speed)
48 chevy suburban (5.3 vortec(?? what was I thinking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw3cZxkfFk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also looking in to a 49-52 4 door pickup, I was going to use a 3/4 ton panel to get the top to look like it should. in fact I may do it later, i have the
3/4 ton panel and a few extra doors. if you notice form the picture it would use the panel sides for the bed.

65 crew
53pu.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you change the front suspension to handle the added weight? Looks cool.
How is the ride. I have a '64 3/4 ton lwb and a '91 w250 cummins. I'm going to do a body swap. :rasta:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you change the front suspension to handle the added weight? Looks cool.
How is the ride. I have a '64 3/4 ton lwb and a '91 w250 cummins. I'm going to do a body swap. :rasta:
I used a 95 chevy 1 ton extended cab frame, It fit the way I wanted, I thank you will find the D250 frount end 78" wide out side the tires, the fenders on the 65 are 73" that would make the tires stick out to far

good luck
65 crew cab 12v 5.9 nv4500
48 suburban 5.3 vortec
99 dodge 1500 3.9 cummins nv3500

·
Registered
24 Posts
im not a chevy guy, but ford also had a truck like this in the 60s it was a special order thing like for railroads and county trucks. ford started it back in the 50s? so chevy proly had the same thing going on .
I saw one of those once a few years ago but didnt have the room to take it. The guy ended up junking it two days later. I felt terrible....!

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice truck

I building a 65 chevy 4 door pick up with a 5.9 setting on a 3500 chevy
chassis, Its got a nv4500 5 speed and 3.42 dana 80.
where did you find that truck ive been looking for one do you know where there are any other one or would you sell yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Project!! I saw it before it was complete I bought a 2wd NV4500 out of a 1 ton chevy from you a couple of years ago, You inspired me from this build and a couple other 4bt projects you had. I'll swing past with my 85 Crew Cab 6BT swap when I finish it.

Thanks
Dan T

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Project!! I saw it before it was complete I bought a 2wd NV4500 out of a 1 ton chevy from you a couple of years ago, You inspired me from this build and a couple other 4bt projects you had. I'll swing past with my 85 Crew Cab 6BT swap when I finish it.

Thanks
Dan T
Concur with DanT. Here Here, pass the Beer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts