Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You're 100% going to have to weld that tube into the center section. The plug welds you're cutting away are the only thing holding the axle tube into the center section.

Subscribed. Been a while since I've seen a cruiser 4bt swap posted up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep, once I got the section off I realized I’d only have a couple plugs holding driver side on.
I cut two full inches off that side to give me some room for the bead between the mild tube and ductile housing because there isn’t much/any real estate on DS to begin with.

I hope to get these sand blasted in the next couple days and was wondering if anyone had used Steel-it before or if you have a different product you’d recommend? I’m inclined to only rattle paint things except the tub, frame, engine, and trans.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've used steel-it. I like it, but it's expensive. The big advantage is that you can weld through it.

Weld-through primer and any enamel topcoat is just as good as steel-it from a protective standpoint, but you have to remove the top coat to weld. All depends what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
You read my post right. I’m mostly interested in weld-thru coatings and would top coat later if needed. Steel-It saves that step so the cost is worth it to me. I’ll pick up a can or two of Steel-It. Thanks!!

Got my bell housing, some bolts, and shift fork from Goat. Thanks a ton!! (Be aware that shipping can take an interesting path during these times. My parts disappeared for a week because they were bundled on a pallet bound for the west coast and they didn’t explicitly track any one particular package in there?!? But a little prodding of the shipping company from myself and Goat got things settled quickly.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Been busy with other stuff, but managed to get both axles stripped and prepped for sandblasting tomorrow. Got a couple cans of Steel It in black so I can paint to avoid flash rust.

These axles are a tad rough. This is a lot of work!

AA also sent me my NV4500 and the Atlas is due in a couple months. Should all be good timing. I want to get the axles done so I can move to prepping the frame. I have to strip and clean up all the old Chevy mounting locations and do some extreme de-uglification thanks to the PO. Then I can hang the engine and drivetrain to match up with the new axles. All that with body on. After that I’ll tack it all and pull it apart for the finish paint and 4BT rebuild. Then back together. I’m thinking it could take two years.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts