Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes. I've got all my main pieces for my build.

1969 Ford Bronco
4bd1t
93 NV4500
NP205
Dana 44 front
Ford 9" rear converted to disc brakes
35" tires

The plan is to make this my daily driver so there will be a lot of rust prevention. I plan converting the rear 4 link and coils springs. I'm extending the wheelbase a little to help with driveline angles. I just mailed my check to Allmaras Machine for the adapter for the trans. I have a GM 205 so I need to find a Ford version and switch the internals over. I plan to make my own adapter so I can rotate the transfer case a little. I got the engine from a 87 street sweeper. Done a lot of Craigslist hunting to get all the parts for months. Here's some pics.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Too cool Brad. Look forward to this build thread. What was the frame with the dually from?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sounds like this one has some real potential, should be very interesting to see!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Too cool Brad. Look forward to this build thread. What was the frame with the dually from?
I believe he said 87 NPR street sweeper, which is where I got my 4bd1t. I am going to keep an eye on this build, looks like you have the beginnings of a great project and should be really cool when you are done.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Okay, I thought those were all his parts just sitting on the frame, I didn't realize that was the donor.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Okay, I thought those were all his parts just sitting on the frame, I didn't realize that was the donor.
You probably just hadn't had enough coffee yet and were still trying to get the sleep out of your eyes, or you were thinking about taking your RIB out on the water today and weren't paying attention (I am still jealous, great score on your part).

That is going to be a sweet Bronco when he gets it finished.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the engine out of the street sweeper frame and on a dolly. My check for the adapter was cashed so hopefully that will be on the way. Been searching craigslist for a Ford 205 transfer case and maybe found one with a extra low range on it. Going this weekend to check it out.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Let us know how the Allmaras transaction goes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Let us know how the Allmaras transaction goes.
Will do for sure!

Very exciting! I have a cummins bronco and love it!! here is a picture of my swap.
Very cool. Been thinking about paint for mine when it is done and have considered orange myself except i was thinking a little darker shade of it. Love seeing other people swaps in this body style bronco. How long have you had yours done?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Can't wait to watch it come together!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't wait to watch it come together!
You'll hopefully only have to wait until spring of next year. I would like to have this on the road then.

I wanted to find out if I was going to need to buy new gears or not. I got the front diff over off and seen the numbers 46-13 stamped on the ring gear. That means I got 3.54:1 gears. Using this gearing calculator if I run 35" tall tires I would be running 1861 RPM's at 75mph. I think that is a little low though. But then having 33" tall tires I would be at 1973 RPM's at 75mph. That sounds better to me. If anybody has some personal experience they would like to share about their gearing with a similar vehicle and engine combo please chime in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had it running and street legal about 8-10 months. I am running 3:50 ratio and 34" tires, t19 trans no overdrive. I don't have a tach but it will run 75-80 at least on the highway. Cruises great on the highway and plenty of low end torque. I am getting around 19-20 mpg. I've been out in the rocks and it climbs great also.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had it running and street legal about 8-10 months. I am running 3:50 ratio and 34" tires, t19 trans no overdrive. I don't have a tach but it will run 75-80 at least on the highway. Cruises great on the highway and plenty of low end torque. I am getting around 19-20 mpg. I've been out in the rocks and it climbs great also.
Dang that's 2600 rpm's at 75mph. That's screaming for a diesel to me. I want mine to be able to do moderate trails but not what I consider serious wheeling. Thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That calculation does add up although it doesn't sound like its screaming. I usually only run about 65-70 on the highway, but it will go faster. Well the bread truck it came out of had this same tranny and would have run the same rr's on the highway, so it should handle it fine. I would like to put in an NV4500 someday so I can have overdrive, then I should get better mpg's.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Started to do a little work today. Lift gate is definitely junk and will need to be replaced for sure. Cleaned it out and ripped out the old carpet. Cant get the drivers seat to flip forward to remove the bolts holding it in. Passenger side was extremely easy though. Got some more pics of the problem areas as well. Found out it has Shelby hood pins? The more I look at the hood the more I want to change it back to a stock one. Who knows what I will decide though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I remember correcty only the passenger front seat does the double motion with the tilt. The driver seat only the back folds forward.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts