Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

241 - 260 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Looking good. Just wondering if you're going to do a disc brake conversion.
At first I was but now I think I will just go for whatever is the cheapest option. This will never be loaded down enough to the point I wish I had more stopping power. Plus with the manual transmission I can always engine brake.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
I have been working on the bronco but getting that windshield frame was driving me crazy due to some shifting while the firewall was cut out. I have off work tomorrow so hopefully I will get it right and start working on the firewall.

In other news, I ordered a turbo(Holset hx30 super) so obviously I am looking for a little extra power than stock but I don't plan on getting crazy. Also ordered a 31"(overall) width and 12" tall that is 4" thick. So that should be plenty big enough for some extra power.

The windshield frame was making me mad so I wanted to work on something else. So I decided to work on motor mounts. The old ones I made were not pretty and I just wasn't happy with them. They were made from the ones that came on the engine when I removed them from the NPR. I decided to remake them and turned out much better. I might reinforce them a little more but you get the picture. It was very tight fit.

Here's a little fabrication trick I'll pass along, when need to make a bend in thicker metal. You cut through most of the way through then put the part in a vise and can either use a hammer or bend it by hand if cut it enough. Then once you get it where you want it you weld up the cuts you made.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I had an exrtemely hard time with getting all the door gaps and hood gaps but I finally got it. Body lines are lined up very nicely and there is no rachet straps hold anything. Sweet success tonight. The hood is attached to the original two places from the stock cowl points with a new plate around them. It's not fully welded yet but that's the easy part. I'm not going to weld it until I get the firewall in so it will have enough reinforcement to minimize distortion. I'm starting to see the light and the end of the tunnel for the body work anyway. Then I can get on the easier stuff soon.

My hx30 super came in today :cool:
Gonna try to get 200 horse or more.

This weekend I will hopefully get the passenger striker panel on and get it to latch,maybe even get some of the firewall put together.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Looking good. All the pictures are working now. Like the jack stands. If they'll hold up your house they should support most anything.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Didn't get to work on the bronco as much as I wanted to this weekend. My brother needed help with his project. That's alright, he's me plenty of times. I did get the passenger striker panel welded in along with the inner rear fender. Pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
That door has a really nice fit. Need a rocker panel and that side will look complete or is the firewall the next area to attack.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Been neglecting the Bronco a little. Work has me working night shift. 930-6am. Been really hard getting used to.

Today I worked on getting the wheel well moved and turned out good. Took 2 try's which was really annoying. I was using plumb bob and I didn't have the vehicle level so it was off more than an inch the first time. I don't know what I was thinking.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Well I'm getting back on the horse again, pun intended. I worked on the passenger side floor support and remade my inner rocker panel. My other inner rocker before this one was fine except when I went to put on inside support for the floor it interfered with one of the body mounts so it wouldn't work. When I remade the inner rocker I beefed it up to 1/8" thick steel because that's where thes bodies fold.

241 - 260 of 312 Posts