Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

281 - 300 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Getting close now. The turbo flange is not welded on yet. I wanted to make sure the steering shaft is going to clear which I'm pretty sure it will.

Also can someone tell me if the HX30 Super has alignment pins in it that need to be taken out?

Awesome work Brad!!

No alignment pins in the Super HX30w.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Looking good. As Johnny said, no alignment pins there. The compressor outlet on that one is different than the stock HX30W. It is the same as an HX35W. The oil inlet is different too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Well I officially started working on the Bronco again. I pretty mad about the older pics in previous post being ruined but I can probably go back and fix it later so anybody who wants to catch up can do so. I will be uploading straight to the site from now on.

I no joke laid under the Bronco for 2 hours trying to decide where I should route the exhaust. I almost went with outside the frame rail on the driver side. I may add rock sliders later though so that wouldn't really be as tucked up under the truck like I would like. There is no room with front driveshaft to go inside the frame rails on the drivers side. So that basically only left the passenger side with crossover pipe going over the bellhousing. I have enough of the exhaust done now to start working on the firewall tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you’re back on it. I think we started about the same time, just got mine driveable early December. Still a lot of little things to do though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Glad you’re back on it. I think we started about the same time, just got mine driveable early December. Still a lot of little things to do though. View attachment 127051
I looked to see if you have a build thread for your Bronco and I didn't see anything. Do you have one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have enough photos to make one. I’ll see if I can put something up next week. I put the heavy valve springs in, 3200 gov spring, Hx30w, and the top loader imposter (overdrive) transmission, and Dakota digital gauge. I’m about to put sound deadening material in it since the turbo is deafening when I push it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Decided to mount the driver's seat so I could where my feet will end up. Nothing super fancy, the back is just some 3/16" angle iron that I drilled and tapped for rear side of the seat. I'll reinforce them to make sure they don't bent out their correct position later. The seats I settle on were from Tom's Bronco parts. My initial impressions with these seats are pretty good. I like the extremely durable material they wrap these in, it's a really tough denim like cloth that maybe water resistant. And no I'm not referring to my trash bag seat covers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
I finished the driver's side floor pan supports this weekend. I don't know if I have said this in a previous post but my plan is to most of the floor be bolted in. I want to make sure every piece of metal gets coated thoroughly. So in areas if I welded the two panels in there would that little bit of area between the two pieces of metals that wouldn't be covered. So my floor panels are going to be painted separate of the body. Will also give access to the areas above the framerails and fuel tank.
I went to test fit the steering column. Pretty sure I was going have to add two extra u joints in the steering shaft and buy a different steering column but decided to modify the manifold to angle the turbo up a little so I could make the straight column work . So I cut off the outlet of manifold and milled it flat to get a good baseline. Ended up angling the turbo more towards the engine as well angling it lengthwise which brought vertically higher at the back of the turbo. Should decent clearance around the exhaust which also had to be redone. Aiming to have the firewall done in less than a week.
Also got the remaining parts to hang the rest of the exhaust

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Firewall is all tacked in now. Did some small finish welds here and there but didn't want it getting too hot and distorted. Some the area by the turbo has to cut off flush but I won't be able to do that until the engine is out. Next week or so I will mount the front clip and start mounting the radiator and intercooler. Last pic is to give you the idea on the way I'm going to mount the front clip.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Only have had a little bit of time to work on the Bronco today. Took off the steering box and ground of the front body mounts. They were very rusty and needed more work than just fabricating my own. Also put the fenders and grill on to see how I want to run my tubes to support the front clip and the radiator/intercooler.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
After looking at the hood latch mechanism I don't think I have room for it in the stock location. I'm going to probably do two separate ones on the corners of the hood. So ground the spot welds which required some serious finessing with a grinder. I think it came out pretty good.
Next I wanted to tackle the passenger side fender support tube. The tube is under the fender so the only place you'll see the tube is near the grill. So far it's just tacked together and will make it so it bolts on to the body and the frame. One part of the tube needed a 10* bend. So instead of trying bend it in the correct orientation to the other bend I just sliced 90% way through the tube and pushed the cut together and tacked it for now.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Bottom pulley on front of engine looks close to crossmember, as rubber mounts sag they might hit, are you going to cut out a place for clearance?

Ed in CO.

281 - 300 of 312 Posts