Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Brad, that is probably OK, got to watch once in a while, though.
Will do. In the pic it does look closer than it actually is. I do need more clearance between that crossmember and the power steering return line or reroute it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Worked on getting the intercooler mounted this weekend and the radiator will have brackets that will come off the same tube. Still need to make little gussets and mount a few other things to the fenders which I think I should be able to have done by Wednesday night hopefully.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Finally got the radiator mounted up. It's mounted on the same one inch tube that the intercooler is mounted on.
I broke down and ordered a aftermarket steering column. After looking closely at mine I decided not to use it. I went with a Flaming River stubby. It's only like 17 inches long so only the steering shaft will go through the firewall which will also keep me plenty of distance away from the exhaust/turbo. I don't know what the next thing I'm going to focus on. might just stay on the front and start making the wheel wells. I got parts for the shifters on the way soon too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
So these are brakes from a 2014 Cadillac CTS V. The rotors measure 13.6" in diameter and the calipers are 4 piston Brembo's. It's a lot of machining but I think it will be worth it. The front brake parts only come out to approximately $400 total. The rear brakes I will probably just stick to the factory drum brakes. The prices are the current Rockauto amounts with these part numbers. Should be pretty cool.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Started working on the caliper brackets. Cut out of 3/8" cold rolled steel. Rough cut out "Blinky" and "Boba Fett" with the plasma cutter :D Took like an hour and half to get that bore out to 4.090" Fits pretty nice in there. Tomorrow maybe some holes will be drilled. I'm not smart enough to measure that bolt pattern on the knuckles so I plan on just cheating with a transfer punch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Worked on Blinky some more tonight. Got the hole pattern drilled and outside milled nicely. Since the caliper bracket ended up almost flush with the caliper there will be another plate that is going to bolt on between the caliper and caliper bracket. This has been more work than I thought it would be. I feel like everything is happening so slow but I'm not a machinist. Someone who knows more about machining I feel like could do this in half the time or less. The first shows the transfer punch and how I clamped it together to get the perfect pattern to drill, pretty nifty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
When I started working on the other plate for the part of the caliper bracket that the caliper would bolt to I realized that I was not comfortable with amount of meat that would be attaching it to the first piece I made. The contour of the bracket matches contour of the knuckles. I was pretty mad about that but that's the name of the game sometimes when making stuff. So my idea now is to make it out a single thicker plate instead of it being two piece design. Here's where I'm at now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Now, that's definitely a bit more beefy.
I needed at 3/8" plate and it needed to be offset approximately 3/8" so I got a 7" x 7" piece of 1" that will be mostly milled away. So it won't be much thicker than the stock 3/8" thickness if any.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts