Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting Old Blue up for sale guys. 1970 Ford F250 crewcab.
Didn’t think I ever would but life’s been coming at me pretty fast the last couple of years and she’s just been sitting more and more. I was planning on passing her down to my son but it turns out this next generation has a few concerns about something called “Global warming” and would rather drive a Prius than Blue.
Been in Diesel Power mag twice.
Mechanically 100% solid. Running a single Hx30. Ve pump was rebuilt within in the last 2k, has Denny T stage 2 pin. 40hp injectors from Pensacola Diesel. I believe I still have two new ones to go with the sale as I bought a set for a 6bt. KDP fixed. Hydroboost brakes from POL.
Truck has 108k. Bought the truck with 78k and installed the 4bt which had 120k on her at the time. Runs like a sewing machine, starts on half a crank every time. EGT’s run very cool, hard to get over 900*. Been over 10 years since I finished and can’t remember half the stuff I’ve done to her. Ask any questions if you’re interested.
Trans is an M5R2 and was rebuilt a few years ago with Luk 11” Gold clutch. Flywheel resurfaced. New bearings and synchros. Rear main seal replaced at that time.
Newer things that I can remember: radiator, starter, alternator, tailgate, fiberglass hood from AutoFab with hood pins, Fluidampr,
Paint and body are rough. I was running out of money near the end of the build and went cheap on paint and its showing. New hood and tailgate are flat black and not color matched. Drip rails have the usual rust issues, been fighting for years. Auto door locks are wearing out and work sporadically. Need be replaced. Gas gauge doesn’t work, never has. 2 tanks, 20 gal (I think) in cab and 10 gal under bed.
Most of the work was done by Autofab in Santee who specializes is older model Ford desert runners. I-beams, radius arms and king pins were taken out of a newer model E350 Ambulance. Cab was off frame, body mounts were replaced. I have lots of pics of that if anyone is interested.
1st pics are when it was just finished. Truck is ready to go anywhere. Needs paint and bodywork only. These swaps can get VERY expensive, all the mechanical has been done here and just needs someone to bring back the pretty. We all know the cost of good 4bt runner, figure the cost of the vehicle its going into and all that goes into mating them. Imagine how much that will cost and then double it.

Asking $12,000
Thanks,
Dave

As it stand now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Putting Old Blue up for sale guys. 1970 Ford F250 crewcab.
Didn’t think I ever would but life’s been coming at me pretty fast the last couple of years and she’s just been sitting more and more. I was planning on passing her down to my son but it turns out this next generation has a few concerns about something called “Global warming” and would rather drive a Prius than Blue.
Been in Diesel Power mag twice.
Mechanically 100% solid. Running a single Hx30. Ve pump was rebuilt within in the last 2k, has Denny T stage 2 pin. 40hp injectors from Pensacola Diesel. I believe I still have two new ones to go with the sale as I bought a set for a 6bt. KDP fixed. Hydroboost brakes from POL.
Truck has 108k. Bought the truck with 78k and installed the 4bt which had 120k on her at the time. Runs like a sewing machine, starts on half a crank every time. EGT’s run very cool, hard to get over 900*. Been over 10 years since I finished and can’t remember half the stuff I’ve done to her. Ask any questions if you’re interested.
Trans is an M5R2 and was rebuilt a few years ago with Luk 11” Gold clutch. Flywheel resurfaced. New bearings and synchros. Rear main seal replaced at that time.
Newer things that I can remember: radiator, starter, alternator, tailgate, fiberglass hood from AutoFab with hood pins, Fluidampr,
Paint and body are rough. I was running out of money near the end of the build and went cheap on paint and its showing. New hood and tailgate are flat black and not color matched. Drip rails have the usual rust issues, been fighting for years. Auto door locks are wearing out and work sporadically. Need be replaced. Gas gauge doesn’t work, never has. 2 tanks, 20 gal (I think) in cab and 10 gal under bed.
Most of the work was done by Autofab in Santee who specializes is older model Ford desert runners. I-beams, radius arms and king pins were taken out of a newer model E350 Ambulance. Cab was off frame, body mounts were replaced. I have lots of pics of that if anyone is interested.
1st pics are when it was just finished. Truck is ready to go anywhere. Needs paint and bodywork only. These swaps can get VERY expensive, all the mechanical has been done here and just needs someone to bring back the pretty. We all know the cost of good 4bt runner, figure the cost of the vehicle its going into and all that goes into mating them. Imagine how much that will cost and then double it.

Asking $12,000
Thanks,
Dave

As it stand now.

Have you been driving it much lately? Curious if there are any bugs from sitting? Tires must be old? Would love to fly down from Portland and drive it back with a buddy or two. Should be pretty easy to get the cash out of my HELOC :) I've never owned a cummins before.....just drooled at a guy down the street who dropped 4bt in his 72 suburban family wagon.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you been driving it much lately? Curious if there are any bugs from sitting? Tires must be old? Would love to fly down from Portland and drive it back with a buddy or two. Should be pretty easy to get the cash out of my HELOC :) I've never owned a cummins before.....just drooled at a guy down the street who dropped 4bt in his 72 suburban family wagon.
I drive it a couple times a month for fun and to keep the ve lubesd up with diesel. If the ve sits too long the orings dry out and crack, then leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive it a couple times a month for fun and to keep the ve lubesd up with diesel. If the ve sits too long the orings dry out and crack, then leak.
Any interest in the civic? As far as carbon footprint, driving an old 30mpg civic has to be better than mining for lithium to make a hybrid! Where in CA is the truck?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Nathaniel, got no use for that beaut!
Trucks in sunny San Diego.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Nathaniel, got no use for that beaut!
Trucks in sunny San Diego.
Yep, this civic beaut is an acquired taste.

Would you mind making a photo dump of the current condition of the truck? Driprail rust, frame condition/rust, rockers, etc? Would love to see more interior pics too....all the vinyl in decent shape?

Any idea of the mpg? gotta be getting close to 20mpg? This will become my daily driver at some point.

My interest is ramping up. I just got to make sure I do my due diligence before buying a plane ticket, etc. Bit of a stretch since I've never owned a diesel....I can't argue with 100% mechanical condition though.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I daily drove it for 4 years and got 22/24 mpg consistently, and that's driving like an asshole. Yeah on the pics. Give me a day.
Have you ever heard a 4bt run? It's not your average diesel, it's loud and it shakes. Full disclosure.
I love it, but for some it's annoying.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the noise/vibration heads up. Never been around a 4bt....neighbor has an 05 cummins. I'm guessing 4bt is another ball game.

I will have that noise vibration discussion tonight with the Mrs. That's part of what appeals to me about going diesel is the experience. And the other torque/mpg/longevity stuff...

10-4 on the pics.

I daily drove it for 4 years and got 22/24 mpg consistently, and that's driving like an asshole. Yeah on the pics. Give me a day.
Have you ever heard a 4bt run? It's not your average diesel, it's loud and it shakes. Full disclosure.
I love it, but for some it's annoying.
Dave

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the noise/vibration heads up. Never been around a 4bt....neighbor has an 05 cummins. I'm guessing 4bt is another ball game.

I will have that noise vibration discussion tonight with the Mrs. That's part of what appeals to me about going diesel is the experience. And the other torque/mpg/longevity stuff...

10-4 on the pics.
Listen to a 1st gen ram, very similar. An 05 is a common rail, different beast, think more like tractor.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have videos somewhere embedded in this forum of mine running down the road right after I finished my compound turbos. I'll try to find them by tomorrow am.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have videos somewhere embedded in this forum of mine running down the road right after I finished my compound turbos. I'll try to find them by tomorrow am.
My wifes rig is an 80 series land cruise with an exhaust leak...starting to sound like a tractor itself.

Compound turbos....woah. I just spent about 45 minutes reading through your threads on the build. Alot of thought and time went into this truck...I guess that's true of any swap like this, especially one that gets to daily driver status. I'm not sure I've got the balls to own every one of those decisions you made along the way with enough confidence to fix it when shit happens, which seems inevitable.

Custom job. Lots of figuring. I guess you drove it for years after the build, but how many of the months you drove it were problem free just drive the damn thing and put fuel in it?

Hats off to you and the countless hours spent sorting it out. Reading the threads cooled me off a bit. Full disclosure. Still want to see pics.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wifes rig is an 80 series land cruise with an exhaust leak...starting to sound like a tractor itself.

Compound turbos....woah. I just spent about 45 minutes reading through your threads on the build. Alot of thought and time went into this truck...I guess that's true of any swap like this, especially one that gets to daily driver status. I'm not sure I've got the balls to own every one of those decisions you made along the way with enough confidence to fix it when shit happens, which seems inevitable.

Custom job. Lots of figuring. I guess you drove it for years after the build, but how many of the months you drove it were problem free just drive the damn thing and put fuel in it?

Hats off to you and the countless hours spent sorting it out. Reading the threads cooled me off a bit. Full disclosure. Still want to see pics.
Only problem I ever had was when I was building the turbos. It was my Daily driver at the time and I was always working on a hot engine it seemed. Biggest problem was the boost leaks while I was working it out and then when the hot pipe broke. I ran out of energy with the compounds and life just got too busy too spend hours everyday on the truck so I went back to a single Hx30. Since then its just turn and go. The truck needs nothing but 12v and diesel to run forever.

But, yes you should understand that you cant just walk into napa and order parts for a 1970 F250.

I'll get more pics when I get off work.

Dave

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SOLD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts