Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any thoughts on how easy this may or may-not be? my old 800 has the original 4-cyl 196 and tranny in it at the moment, but i want to go diesel. someone on another bulletin suggested the 4BT, so here i am.

i'm looking at a total restore job anyway, so why not go diesel, right?

i guess i need to know what the chances are of the 4BT matching up to my tranny (possibly with an adapter?) -- or which tranny would be best for it, if mine won't match-up.

i'll take any advice i can get about any of this job. i'm trying to do it smart the first time around.

thanks for the help...

-garrett

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are at least a couple of us on here doing the swap. Each unique to the parts we chose and the way we wanted to go. The way I did mine:

I have a 65 body on a 69 chassis. The V8 chassis and the 4 cyl chassis and body are different. The V8 has a different front crossmember and front bulkhead. I welded in a new crossmember to match the position of the V8 crossmember then cut out the 4 cyl one. I obtained a V8 bulkhead and cut out the 4 cyl bulkhead. This provided plenty of room for the 4BT. I originally did this to fit a Chevy V8.

I doubt the original tranny is up to the job. I'm using a Chevy NV4500 with a Chevy 205 transfer case. I'm using all Dodge parts to bolt the tranny up to the Cummins. Had to change the tranny input shaft to the Dodge version. I also had to clearance the firewall just bit to fit the starter.

69 800 chassis, 65 body, 78 scout power steering box, hydroboost brakes, 78 scout front dana 44, 69 scout rear dana 44, cummins 4bt, Chevy NV4500, Chevy 205, 2 inch lift, 33's

I allready had the NV4500/205 combo from my previous small block setup. I used Dodge parts because I had no adapter and the Dodge was the easiest to source.

I currently run 4.10's and will see how that is for a while. If I don't like the ratio I will swap in a rear dana 60 with 3.54's

Perhaps others will chime in with how they did it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as I know there are no adapters available for the Scout transmissions of that era.

At any rate the Ford T-19 is the cheapest and easiest to adapt to the Scout Dana 18/20 transfer case. You can use junkyard parts, the parts are OEM for various different vehicle manufactures you just have to figure out which ones to cobble together.

I am in the middle of my build using a 65 4cly Scout. I have worked out most of the details, and am currently fabricating suspension, motor and trany mounts, some of this is done, some just plans…

I am using a Dodge NV4500 with all dodge clutch parts.

Transfer case might be a Bronco Dana 20, if I can not get a Dodge 29splline NP205 input for reasonable price. With the Bronco Dana 20 it is one of the shortest trany/ transfer case combos of the dodge nv4500 variety, but the output shaft may be a little weak for the 4bt. Plus the adapter is around $400 (ouch!!)

The front frame cross member will fit in it's original spot if you shift the motor back a little, the front face of my 4BT is just behind the vertical plane defined by the front axle tube, should be good for overall balance. I am going to mount my radiator and possible intercooler in front of the original radiator bulkhead.

I ran into problems with the bell housing and starter clearances with the firewall; I am using a 1" jeep cj8 body lift (the one piece body bushings) and some slight trimming of the firewall above the gas pedal to accommodate the starter.

Exhaust is a problem to fit, so I am planning to run it similar to the stock 4cly (outside the frame rail) with a custom exhaust manifold. The original rear mounted turbo would not work because the Dodge bell housing takes up almost the entire firewall transmission tunnel. No exhaust pipe clearances.

I have also got front and rear axles and steering setup from an 88 Wagoneer (3.31 Dana 44s, front is a drivers drop). The Wagoneer axles are only about two or three inches wider than the original scout axles and the front spring pad spacing will work as is, if the spring mounts are moved to the inside of the frame rail instead of outside. I am also using front Wagoneer leaf springs, front and rear with rear Jeep CJ hangers and shackles, for now I am planning on keeping it SUA

Dana 44s could be a little week but it is more of a daily driver and trail vehicle then a rock crawler.

The steering will be a standard GM Saginaw setup, and the brakes will be of the GM variety as well (all from the Wagoneer).

Don’t tell the Scout guys I am using so much Jeep parts, they would not like it to much ;)

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Welcome to the Scout/Cummins club!
You'll need D44's front and rear at a minumin, good for street and carefull wheeling. A automatic would be easier on the drivetrain and prevent the sudden shock loads of a manual. After breaking a few things I've learned what to do and not to do.
Make sure to do lots of sound deadening.

Enjoy your build,
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dana 18 transfer case

Glad to see more posts about Scouts. I am in the middle of restoring and putting a Cummins in my 62 Scout 80. One good thing about keeping the Dana 18 is that along with being short, you can also get a Warn overdrive to go with it if you look around. I have one for my Scout and intend on using it preferably with an overdrive transmission for an extra overdrive.
Any more photos of Scout Cummins installs are always welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a buddy with one is a 1966 Scout 800 wheeling truck, its got a t-19 to a NP203/NP205 doubler, dana 60 front, dana 70 rear rear coil overs and front alcan springs, 39" Swampers. Another buddy with one in his 1936 IH C-30 buggy, SM465, Atlas, MOG 404's and 49" swampers, and another buddy with on in his 1978 Scout 2 Daily driver. I picked up a CPL858 a few years back to install in my 1976 Scout Terra but its going into my 1937 IH D-2 street rod instead. With the price of fuel anymore diesel is the way to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
65scout4bt FYI- The Dodge NP-205-29spline is a passenger side drop. 89-93 Dodge diesel 5spd only. Gas and automatics are 23 spline.

·
Registered
98 Posts
10-4...

But Ford NP205 are cheap and you can swap out inputs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts