Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
As far as I know there are no adapters available for the Scout transmissions of that era.

At any rate the Ford T-19 is the cheapest and easiest to adapt to the Scout Dana 18/20 transfer case. You can use junkyard parts, the parts are OEM for various different vehicle manufactures you just have to figure out which ones to cobble together.

I am in the middle of my build using a 65 4cly Scout. I have worked out most of the details, and am currently fabricating suspension, motor and trany mounts, some of this is done, some just plans…

I am using a Dodge NV4500 with all dodge clutch parts.

Transfer case might be a Bronco Dana 20, if I can not get a Dodge 29splline NP205 input for reasonable price. With the Bronco Dana 20 it is one of the shortest trany/ transfer case combos of the dodge nv4500 variety, but the output shaft may be a little weak for the 4bt. Plus the adapter is around $400 (ouch!!)

The front frame cross member will fit in it's original spot if you shift the motor back a little, the front face of my 4BT is just behind the vertical plane defined by the front axle tube, should be good for overall balance. I am going to mount my radiator and possible intercooler in front of the original radiator bulkhead.

I ran into problems with the bell housing and starter clearances with the firewall; I am using a 1" jeep cj8 body lift (the one piece body bushings) and some slight trimming of the firewall above the gas pedal to accommodate the starter.

Exhaust is a problem to fit, so I am planning to run it similar to the stock 4cly (outside the frame rail) with a custom exhaust manifold. The original rear mounted turbo would not work because the Dodge bell housing takes up almost the entire firewall transmission tunnel. No exhaust pipe clearances.

I have also got front and rear axles and steering setup from an 88 Wagoneer (3.31 Dana 44s, front is a drivers drop). The Wagoneer axles are only about two or three inches wider than the original scout axles and the front spring pad spacing will work as is, if the spring mounts are moved to the inside of the frame rail instead of outside. I am also using front Wagoneer leaf springs, front and rear with rear Jeep CJ hangers and shackles, for now I am planning on keeping it SUA

Dana 44s could be a little week but it is more of a daily driver and trail vehicle then a rock crawler.

The steering will be a standard GM Saginaw setup, and the brakes will be of the GM variety as well (all from the Wagoneer).

Don’t tell the Scout guys I am using so much Jeep parts, they would not like it to much ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.