Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last June when my Early Bronco build was interrupted by prostate cancer surgery, I found this site. (I'm cured, get that PSA checked boys!!!) At his point I had a newly rebuilt 289 on the frame along with a NP-435/Dana20/9" 3.50 drive train. The more I read the more I wanted a 4BT in the Bronco. Pictures attached. And so the story starts.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1971 Bronco 4BT Build - Found an Engine

In mid June after some searching I found a guy in Kansas selling 4BTs from step vans. He had already put one in a 1986 Chevy 4WD pickup. The engine he had was a 1995 Cummins reman with about 86,000 miles on it. It was a good price and close enough for me to go get it. The pictures show the engine when we unloaded it in front of my shop.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1971 Bronco 4BT Build - Painting the Engine

A couple of pictures after the engine was cleaned and painted. I also replaced a few of the gaskets and seals where there were signs of leakage.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
The motor looks great man!! Nice and cleaaaaan!

·
Registered
224 Posts
getting a power steering box to go along with that pump? looks clean, was seeing if you were going auto so i could ask how you're hooking it up to the converter, but you're manual... looking forward to seeing your progress, im doing the same in a couple weeks in my 70.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks great!

I have "shop envy". :grinpimp:

·
Registered
145 Posts
You did a very nice job! What did you do with the rusty engine pieces? (like the timing gear cover) Did you sand blast it? What engine prep and painting tips do you have to share? Its always nice to see people who take pride in their conversion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts