Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently found a deal locally on an NV4500 from a 1996 Dodge Ram 4X4 which has launched me into my project. Unfortunately it wasn't a 5.9L Cummins donor vehicle though, so it has the V8 bell-housing currently. That also means it is the "standard duty" rated version as well, what Wikipedia calls the DDP order code instead of the DDX order code. I've not been able to see any difference in ratings for torque or GVWR though. Anyone have numbers of DDP versus DDX NV4500 transmissions?

I found a link that says:
Code:
Rated GVW:	14,500 lbs.
Torque Rating	450 Foot Pounds of Torque
But it does not specify if that is for all variants.

NV4500-input-side.jpg NV4500-output-side.jpg

I'm pulling out the V8 302 that had aftermarket EFI.

Tomorrow I pickup the 4BT I found locally. It was pulled from a bread van, like so many are.

I'm planning on keeping the Dana 20 transfer case.

More pictures to come, and notes as I go.

Great information here from others that gave me the courage to even attempt this! (I'm talking most specifically about Dbteak!) I'm glad to be here and document my journey!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Cool bud, keep the old Fords alive!

Lot of bronco builds on here and some good guys that will be willing to help. (As long as you provide lots of pics.) Gotta feed the animals around here.:beer:

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I brought home my 4BT today. It was a good day.

100_1029.jpg

All tied up like a present!

Apparently one of the tie-down's tried to let go on the way home but BARELY stayed fastened . . . 100_1032.jpg

Successfully unloaded from the trailer . . . 100_1039.jpg

Now then does anyone know off-hand what this sensor (or wired thing) used to be? 100_1046.jpg

It didn't survive the trip. I'll be researching in the meantime, but I am very new to Cummins engines. It's the thing with the blue fastener and light blue cut wire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, well after a quick search that had a drawing for a 6BT it would seem the damaged sensor is the temperature sensor. Anyone care to confirm my research?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's what it is.

Reactions: BonezTheGoon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thats the one I'm using for my temp sensor. IIRC there's one at the front of the block as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yeah it did look to me like there was more than one temperature sending unit, which is what caused me to doubt myself in assessing what it was I was seeing. Never heard of two temperature sending units before. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sadly the only photographic update is that the 4BT is now (somewhat un-evenly) mounted to the engine stand.

I'm slowly collecting parts needed online. Also slowly gathering knowledge as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm really not sure how else to find out about this as I have been searching a lot and not coming up with any answers. I was told that the v-belt driven device in the top right corner of the engine (as viewed from the front of the vehicle, though top left as viewed in this photo) was a vacuum pump for the brakes on the donor vehicle. What isn't clear to me is why there are hoses connecting it to the engine block? Is this to share lubricant with the engine, perhaps? Is this not the vacuum pump I was told that it is? Here is the best picture of the hoses I currently have . . .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the as yet unidentified part has RE 3048 on it, which seems to be sold at some crazy website I can't link here because I don't have enough posts yet. Until after this one, which I will try to follow-up with a link . . .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've yet to confirm but I found this tidbit of information, from this site, that might be useful to any or all planning on mating an NV4500 to your Cummins B series engines.

Quoted and preserved here should the source go away as many pages on the internet do.

Code:
NV4500 installs:
An NV4500 from a diesel powered application works the best for 4BTs. You will need the flywheel and flywheel housing from a dodge 5.9 diesel truck. If you have an NV4500 from a gas powered application you will need to turn the front bearing retainer down to 1.414" to allow the throw out bearing to fit properly. We will also need to know if the input shaft is 1.125" or 1.25" as well as the inside diameter of the flywheel center hole. If you wish to use a 241OR t-case, you will need to change the output shaft on your dodge NV4500 to a 23 spline and change your 5th gear.
I found an exploded view of the NV4500 and confirmed that part is indeed different between the V8 and the 5.9 models from Dodge. I opted to just buy the correct version instead of machining mine down. Maybe I'll do that with mine after the installation as a "spare" but probably not. I did call a local Dodge dealership and they wanted ~$200 for the replacement front bearing retainer. I found it online for about $45 shipped. I'll post pictures of the two when the new one comes in.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yes its a vacuum pump. Ford van repowers used them. Yes those are oil lines to lube and drain the pump.

You can retain this design-nothing wrong with it. Or remove it and go with a hydroboost system for power brakes with a simpler design. Unless you are running vacuum operated wipers there is nothing on an Early Bronco that uses vacuum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cost just keeps climbing! I'm sure you have all been there already!

My front bearing retainer came in for the NV4500, and if anything it is LONGER not shorter so I am not sure what the write-up I quoted was talking about turning it. However it did illustrate another unfortunate fact, which is that my input shaft is the 1-1/8"-10 spline version instead of what the throw-out bearing for the Dodge 6BT needs which is the 1-1/4"-10 spline.

I just ordered the replacement part so that I will have all parts at the front of the NV4500 like what was stock on a Dodge 6BT.

This weekend I'll be doing the KDP fix, cleaning the engine, hopefully painting, and an even more lofty hope maybe even strip the Bronco down to the frame.

Here is a shot of the front of the NV4500. Oddly the clutch plate fits "pretty well" on the smaller sized input shaft since the spline count is the same. So I really didn't realize until I was comparing the front bearing retainers that the input shaft was too small.

More pictures to come as I progress slowly . . .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe I have all the parts to mate the NV4500 to the Dana 20, but I haven't gotten anywhere near verifying that to be true. I ordered the adapter kit from Advance Adapters and it "looks good" so far.

My NV4500 is going to be quite the Frankenstein transmission when I am done with it given it will have the input of the Heavy Duty Dodge version and the output of the light duty Dodge version. Oh well it will work for my application!

I'll post many pictures and details as I actually start moving on things here soon. I love to take pictures and I love to document things online for others to benefit from, because I appreciate it when others do the same and save me the time and money of learning things "the hard way"!!!

1 - 20 of 187 Posts