Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I've located a welder that thinks he might be able to modify the Dodge starter flange on the starter that successfully started the 4BT at the shop (outside of my Bronco). If we can get that to work then any replacement starter I need in the future I can swap my custom flange over to. I hope all goes to plan!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Yeah I see in that thread both the starter flange and the adapter plate were modified. I think I'm going to have to do both as well. Given that once "clocked" the way I need the stock adapter plate around 12 o'clock will not be accessible anymore. I got a suggestion that I think is great to instead add a stud to the adapter plate for that spot using the stock starter flange placement in a non-stock location on the adapter plate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or you can get a second gen Dodge (Denso) 12v starter for $25 at a junkyard, toss a set of HD contacts into it, and enjoy that gear reduction music.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
Or you can get a second gen Dodge (Denso) 12v starter for $25 at a junkyard, toss a set of HD contacts into it, and enjoy that gear reduction music.
I already have a 2nd Gen Dodge starter -- brand new. The challenge is that even though it was tested and works with my motor, adapter plate, and flywheel OUTSIDE of my vehicle it simply does not fit once the motor was mounted into the frame.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts