Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I just heard back from the shop. Apparently the flywheel I have is part number 3942798. Can anyone confirm that 3906613 is actually the part I need? Also anyone know a good source on the cheap? So far all I have found is $800 shipped for part number 3906613. Also can anyone confirm that part number 3906613 will fit in the bellhousing I have? I'm fairly certain the bellhousing and clutch I have came with the flywheel I have installed currently.

Would it be better/cheaper to try and swap out the adapter plate and starter to fit the flywheel, bellhousing, and clutch combo I currently have?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
After doing more research it appears that my clutch won't work with the Cummins to Ford flywheel which would cause a cascading disaster going toward my transmission. I've already purchased a new engine adapter part 3912184 that I'm hopeful is compatible with my current flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing. I'll keep the thread posted on how that goes. It does mean that I will still have to purchase a new starter as well. I think for my project this is "the right" direction to head at this point. Boy oh boy the things I'm learning the "hard way" $$$$$$$!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I think I'm a bit confused here. You have an adapter plate 3912184. That is spec'd for the 89-93 Dodge. That one will work with the NV4500 but it is thinner. You will need a special bellhousing for the NV4500 to match that adapter plate. Advance adapters has that for $420. The Ford starters won't work with that plate. You need a Dodge starter for that one. That adapter plate was used with the Getrag transmissions. Your flywheel 3942798 is for the NV4500. You have unmatched parts which is going to cost you more money. You're best bet is probably to find the correct block adapter for the NV4500. I believe that part # is 3923045 which would be a lot cheaper than that bellhousing adapter. You need a starter for a '94-02 Dodge Cummins to match that. Hopefully, then everything will match up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I think I'm a bit confused here. You have an adapter plate 3912184. That is spec'd for the 89-93 Dodge. That one will work with the NV4500 but it is thinner. You will need a special bellhousing for the NV4500 to match that adapter plate. Advance adapters has that for $420. The Ford starters won't work with that plate. You need a Dodge starter for that one. That adapter plate was used with the Getrag transmissions. Your flywheel 3942798 is for the NV4500. You have unmatched parts which is going to cost you more money. You're best bet is probably to find the correct block adapter for the NV4500. I believe that part # is 3923045 which would be a lot cheaper than that bellhousing adapter. You need a starter for a '94-02 Dodge Cummins to match that. Hopefully, then everything will match up.
I think I am more confused than you. I already have mated everything together all the way back to my Dana 20 transfer case before realizing I needed to rebuild the motor due to thrust-bearing parts in the stock oil pan. Just this week thinking everything was coming together finally the shop that did the rebuild tried to start it up. The starter does not work with the flywheel. Are you telling me that you think with the adapter plate I have a Dodge Cummins starter will bolt up and work with the flywheel I have? Because the Ford starter bolted right up to the adapter plate but doesn't work with the flywheel. Are you saying that the Ford 7.3L starter and the Dodge Cummins starter have identical bolt patterns?

To be clear other than issues with the starter all other parts were working together. Flywheel, bellhousing, clutch, NV4500, Advance Adapter to Dana 20, and Dana 20.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
OK, I was able to contact the seller and changed the order to the 3923045 part instead. Hopefully things work!! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Just not sure the Ford starter will work with the Dodge NV4500 adapter plate. It does work with the Ford Cummins adapter plate for sure. The bendix may not extend far enough to engage the flywheel. Here's what the OEM '94-02 starter looks like that came on the Dodge. That is a Denso model and prices range in the $300 area. You can find cheaper aftermarket or rebuilt units in the under $100 range. Just some advice. I've replace the starter on my 7.3 diesel 3 times. The first 2 were rebuilt units that were cheap. The last one was a brand new one that cost over $300. It cranks 10 times better than either of the rebuilt ones did. Hated to spend that much on a starter but it is just vastly superior to what I had before.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I think I finally am on the "same page" as you -- after a bit of misunderstanding. My new plan is to forsake the 7.3L Ford starter (maybe I'll list it here, but probably not due to shipping costs) given it is "brand new" at least, that is, never ever used though a year old.

Thanks to your help and the confirmation of the vendor I think I'll be getting the correct engine adapter for the rest of my drive train and then I'll just have to get the starter to match.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Just found out the latest parts fit and worked! They were able to run the motor and verify it runs well! I'm scheduled to pick it up on Monday of next week so expect more pictures after that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Well as it turns out the starter that works with my new adapter plate and flywheel hits the frame of my Bronco once the motor is mounted back in the frame. Is anyone aware of an alternative starter that has the correct gear/teeth and bolt pattern that is a lower profile or has the "motor" part of the starter rotated to be more around 12 o'clock?

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Well as it turns out the starter that works with my new adapter plate and flywheel hits the frame of my Bronco once the motor is mounted back in the frame. Is anyone aware of an alternative starter that has the correct gear/teeth and bolt pattern that is a lower profile or has the "motor" part of the starter rotated to be more around 12 o'clock?
Someone on this site has "rotated" the starter because of clearance problems, it has been done. He used round stock, drill and tapped for the starter bolts, then bored the adapter plate for the new location and welded in place.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
It doesn't look to me like modifying the adapter plate is going to be very realistic in my case given how drastic the rotation is I would need. I'm highly considering modifying my frame instead. I'm open to suggestions of any kind at this point. I've reached out to "The Mean Green" vendor regarding their starter that claims to be "1/3 smaller than stock" to see if they can send me a diagram with dimensions. I've yet to hear back from them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I've not heard back from the Mean Green vendor. Does anyone have one for the 6BT that cares to comment on size or provide measurements?

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
It doesn't look to me like modifying the adapter plate is going to be very realistic in my case given how drastic the rotation is I would need. I'm highly considering modifying my frame instead. I'm open to suggestions of any kind at this point. I've reached out to "The Mean Green" vendor regarding their starter that claims to be "1/3 smaller than stock" to see if they can send me a diagram with dimensions. I've yet to hear back from them.
Could you post a pic of the interference with the starter and frame?

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Several members as well as myself have used the 7.3 starter in a narrow frame https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Ford-7-3L-7-3-Diesel-F150-F250-F350-F450-Pickup-94-95-96-97-98-99-00/362002017213?hash=item5449006bbd:g:EvYAAOSwywRaEGSP:rk:26:pf:0 I wasnt willing to notch my frame. Yes its a tooth short and I lopped the spare ear off, never had an issue.
Yes, I had the 7.3 starter installed with the Ford adapter plate which wouldn't interface with the Dodge 6BT Flywheel. Are you saying you successfully used the 7.3L starter with a Dodge adapter plate and flywheel?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Could you post a pic of the interference with the starter and frame?
Sadly I cannot realistically capture a picture by myself of the issue. I'll see if I can get someone to try and capture some pictures while I hold the starter roughly in place. Essentially if I orient the large "off-shoot" motor part at roughly 12 o'clock I can get the starter seated properly with the adapter plate. Then I tried to rotate it clock-wise so all three bolt holes would line up but it runs into the frame before the bolt holes align.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
This is the best picture I have at the moment (starter not pictured though)

In page five of this thread there is a picture of the Dodge starter. If you look at the bolt holes you can see that the motor sits roughly around 3 o'clock for my adapter plate pushing right against the frame.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Yes, I had the 7.3 starter installed with the Ford adapter plate which wouldn't interface with the Dodge 6BT Flywheel. Are you saying you successfully used the 7.3L starter with a Dodge adapter plate and flywheel?
Apologize, I'm thinking ford sb bell housing. But now I would like to know that answer out of curiosity as well. I am away from home working for a month or so and will check it out.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts