Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I've been working on my 1973 IH Travelette for a few years now, at first it was just a standby hauler until I got some money together. Now it's down to the frame and the thirsty 345 V8 has made way for a 1980 6.354 Perkins mated to an IH T-34 OD trans.
I know my way around a diesel, but I really don't know much about the Perkins other than it has a good reputation.
The paperwork I got with it says it's a 120 hp model, and originally put in a 1966 IH Travelette.
I'll be posting pictures of my little adventure and asking questions as well.
I'm waiting for the cab to come back from a friend of mine who is an excellent bodyman, and I'm working the fussy bits like mounting the AC compressor and power steering pump as the truck it came out of didn't have these things.

Anyone know where I can find a hydro pump that mounts the jackshaft on the side of the engine? That would make the old piston-type AC compressor a lot easier to find space for.

In the meantime I'll start working on posting some pictures.
028.jpg 029.jpg S5005794.jpg

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Nice project, looks like the Macaw is claiming it for his own:)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I'll bet. I just lost my Double Yellow Head after 34 years, they're a lot of fun...........

·
Registered
704 Posts
sweet truck i have the same front end. except for the perkins i am using a Cat cant wait to see what you do to her

·
Registered
239 Posts
That makes at least three of us IH guys with similar trucks. I have a 72 Travelette with the long fleetside factory bed similar to this truck:

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Bo185/P1010264.jpg

Mine is all apart too. I'm using a donor plain jane t-ette out of the high desert to rebuild my rusty original.

I knew there was a diesel engine option on IH pickups back then but I thought it was for Australia only. I bet there were very few of those built.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I knew there was a diesel engine option on IH pickups back then but I thought it was for Australia only.
jeep had many export-only diesel versions, but IH used to have all its versions available in the local market... btw what surprises me is that there was a perkins instead of a nissan sd33 available for this truck...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
jeep had many export-only diesel versions, but IH used to have all its versions available in the local market... btw what surprises me is that there was a perkins instead of a nissan sd33 available for this truck...
The Perkins was a special order option in the 1960's IH full sized truck. Full sized IH truck production ended in 1975. The Nissan sd33 (naturally aspirated)came as an option in the Scout II in the late 1970's. These engines were initially sourced from Chrysler, which had distribution rights to the Nissan diesel engine. After a couple of years, they switched to the sd33T (turbocharged) for a tittle more power. Scout II production ended in 1980.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts