Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I promised that I would do a thread about my F100 build so here's my start for it. I'm not going to have a lot of pictures for it today but after Christmas break I should have a bunch of pictures and you guys will understand why in a little bit. Here's a little background on the truck...

It's a 1975 F100 2WD, short wheelbase truck that originally came with a 351M and C6 automatic transmission. The truck sat for years before I got it and when I did, I initially got the 351M running but it eventually blew a head gasket and about spun a bearing while driving down I-85 from Raleigh to Charlotte. So I got it towed to my shop in Charlotte and rebuilt the bottom end using a crank kit from Advance Auto Parts. I think they didn't match the bearings correctly because the minute I lit the engine off for the first time, it started knocking really bad. So I said to hell with the 351M and my dad mentions that he had just traded a high mileage 6bt cummins for a brand new B3.3 cummins and he's always wanted to do a diesel swap into an old F100 so this was his chance. And that's how the project began...

So my dad comes up with his trailer, hauls the truck away and I don't see it again until the cummins is in it (That's why I don't currently have pictures of the install). I can explain what he did though. He used motor mounts from a 6bt to reduce the vibration that the engine produces for a more "comfortable" ride. It is straight piped with 3" exhaust and non intercooled. He modifed the SAE adapter plate that came with the engine to match the bolt patter of a Jeep NV3550 that we had laying around. So we have the NV3550 behind the b3.3 with a NP231 transfer case. I am still in the process of making more power with this engine because I'm having trouble finding information on how to turn up these motors. I have already turned the power screw in two full rotations, the star screw all the way in (2 1/2 rotations) and 2 turns in on the smoke screw but I still can't even get a haze of black smoke. At high RPM the motor makes 12-13psi boost on stock turbo but it takes a while to build up boost. I have put close to 1000 miles on the combination so I'm getting ready to set the valves and put an intercooler on it and hope that these will help produce more power.

I will have more pictures in a few weeks because over Christmas break, we are swapping in a 4X4 frame under the truck and will have to modify it again to bolt the engine in and I will be there to take pictures.

I will eventually add a link to my signature for the photo album.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Life sorta got in my way, but I may be looking for some power solutions to the same motor one of these days. I bet plenty of pump tricks will be applicable from other platforms. Do you have the rotary pump? I have the inline but with small plungers.

At 13 PSI, it should be making some decent power. That truck is prolly a good amount heavier than a Jeep though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Life sorta got in my way, but I may be looking for some power solutions to the same motor one of these days. I bet plenty of pump tricks will be applicable from other platforms. Do you have the rotary pump? I have the inline but with small plungers.

At 13 PSI, it should be making some decent power. That truck is prolly a good amount heavier than a Jeep though.
It's the rotary pump. If you really wanted to put some money into it and make some power then I think putting a P-Pump off of a 4bt onto the B3.3 would be the best solution. Or if you want computers then get the QSB3.3 which makes 25 more horseys. 13 PSI is at really high RPM so I don't try to run it out that much since I don't have a tach and I really don't want to get over 2500RPMs, but yes, it does make decent power with that amount of boost. Hopefully putting the intercooler on will help tremendously as well. The truck currently weighs about 3700lbs I believe and with the 4X4 frame going under it, it will probably raise that a couple hundred pounds. There's a guy out there that has put one of these into an old FJ60 though with no problems and that thing weighs over 2 tons.

I appreciate the props on the truck though! Going for the old "farm truck" look.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Slight aside, don't know about American Fords but else where when line boring the mains and the machine wandered they over bored the main tunnels and used oversized bearings.
If a shop did not measure the tunnel size and just fitted bearings to suit the crank you get the instant bearing rumble on start up. Think Ford actually used 2 different oversize sizes.
Saved junking blocks but a trap for anyone re- bearing a Ford engine.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackduck596, I just assume not rebuild another 351M ever again. They have the oiling problem and just plain aren't worth it to me!

Just wanted to update you guys about the progress made in the last couple of days. The B3.3 has been yanked from the old 2WD frame and mocked into the 4WD frame. We made a power steering pump bracket and lines today as well. We modified the crank pulley by adding another V section for it drive two belts so the power steering pump will have its own drive pulley. We also did small things like all new brake/fuel lines, new shocks, steering damper, bushings...etc. Pictures are to follow as soon as I can get them on my computer.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Nice truck. You mentioned putting a P pump on the B3.3. You might have a hard time doing that since I don't think there wasn't a gear housing for that pump/engine combo. The VE pump can make decent power. What is the stock turbo on that engine? If it's wastegated, you may need to adjust the opening pressure on the controller. 13 psi isn't very high boost. Would think the mid 20's or better can be possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not looked into putting a P pump onto one of these so I'm not sure on the details of it, it was just a thought. Stock turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04L-10T which everyone says is too small for driving applications. I've looked into upgrading to a 15t compressor but haven't pull the trigger yet. I don't think this engine was designed to handle much more than mid teens' boost pressure so I don't think mid 20s is reasonable without further reinforcement.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm running the TDO4L-10T from a B3.3 on my Kubota 2.2 and it runs like scat! I agree it's a bit to small for a 3.3 road motor, they were spec'ed for constant rpm. I think some are using the TDO4-19 ? I think off the Subaru WRX. They have a slightly larger exhaust housing and compressor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running the TDO4L-10T from a B3.3 on my Kubota 2.2 and it runs like scat! I agree it's a bit to small for a 3.3 road motor, they were spec'ed for constant rpm. I think some are using the TDO4-19 ? I think off the Subaru WRX. They have a slightly larger exhaust housing and compressor.
I have also heard of people running the turbos off the Subaru on these engines. You are correct that the engine is only suitable for constant RPM and has trouble spooling up and down. I'm going to guess the difference between the TDO4L-10T and the TDO4-19 is a bigger compressor wheel but I'm not sure about the exhaust housing(??). We have been looking at putting a 17T compressor wheel into the stock B3.3 turbo to see if that makes a difference but if we also need to increase the exhaust side then maybe we should be looking for another housing. I'll have to look further into that... Thanks for the information!

Pictures are coming...Eventually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some more pictures of the truck guys. Been a while since I updated the thread but we converted the truck to 4X4 by swapping frames over Christmas break so I was able to get a better picture of the setup. Here you can see the truck after a new frame (a little higher). You can see the engine/tranny/Tcase setup (B3.3, NV3550, NP231). And then you can see the engine inside the engine bay before we added the power steering pump to it. I've been driving the truck daily since then and I love this thing. Everyone always gawks at it as a drive by because they don't know what it is! One guy even asked me if it had a CAT in it haha.

EDIT: Darn, my photos are too big. Will have to resize them and try again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a stock 3.3 in my little jeep Comanche.
I think the turbo spools just fine. I can beat a lot of other vehicles off the line without boost launching or anything.
It's always got plenty of power and there's no lag or anything.
I've got another 3.3 I'll put in a 2wd Comanche and compound turbo it with some injector and fueling work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts