Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres what im working with.

1975 250 chassis with a 390, c6, np203 t-case.
79 f100 cab and front clip with a flat deck

(i will post pictures soon!!)

I plan on swaping a second gen 12v engine and nv4500.
if i can get a good deal i will buy a complete dodge truck so i can swap axels, t-case, motor, tranny. and what ever else i may need.

as i am only 17 and this is one of my first trucks (ive got another 78 i6) i am going to need as much prep help as possible. my main concerns are engine mounts and the wireing for the dash (oil pressure, temp sensor, amperage, and speedo) ive heard of adapters for wireing but have not been able to find anything. aswell as engine mounts.

thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Lowell

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have been driving my '68 Highboy with the 4bt for two years now and it has been finished for just over a year and it is worth all the work,worry and money.
This is my build pics link
http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/eggman918/library/?sort=3&page=1
It is not labeled very well but the pics are good,look them over with regards to engine compartment size the 4bt is a nice fit but a bit tall,the 6 mill be a tight fit length wise I know it's been done but I would spend a LOT of time thinking and measuring...you will save time and money in the long run. It cost me more and took longer to find all the parts for the 4bt than it would have with the 6.
Welcome aboard if I can help in any way let me know,just remember time spent doing research will pay off X10 in the long run and....it will still take twice as long and cost three times what you think it will now.It is still worth it and I plan to start my next project as soon as the Wife recovers from this one.
Steve.

·
Registered
786 Posts
my main concerns are engine mounts and the wireing for the dash (oil pressure, temp sensor, amperage, and speedo) ive heard of adapters for wireing but have not been able to find anything. aswell as engine mounts.
Lowell

1. Oil pressure sending unit from the stock Ford engine adapted to the top of the oil filter housing works perfectly. Can't remember if it even needs a adapter actually. Cheap and easy O'Reilly part.

2. Temp sensor. Also stock Ford part adapted to top of head by thermostat housing is easiest way.

3. Amp meter is simple. DON'T WRITE IT LIKE A VOLT METER!!! It will burn the gauge and circuit board. Found this out the hard way. Best option is use stock writing to keep it functioning.

4. Speedo ha ha there are options to keep your stock mechanical Speedo but they are a bit pricey and a overall pain in the ass in my opinion. I used a cable x box from Abbott industries $380.

5. Engine mounts. I'm not a fan of buying one size fits all mounts. No 2 builds are alike. PM me if you would like a template of what I made.

As far as wiring goes there are many options. First consider weather you are using the stock dodge alternator or a one wire setup. What ac compressor and understand how the shutoff solenoid functions. Once those parts are all lined out and the engine is in(for test fit) then start messing with writing. Coolant and oil sensor wires will need extended. A starter solenoid wire needs ran. Ac wiring.alternater needs wires. Are you running dual batteries?

That's a lot of mumbo jumbo but more info is needed to really help you in that department. Oh and labeling all wires BEFORE pulling the gasser would help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eggman918

im from Ontario, and i have thought long and hard about the 4bt swap, but they are just so hard to find around here, and when you do find one, people want an arm and a leg for them. so i have decided to go with the 6bt because there are lots of them available and the scrap yards around here are crawling with parts for them. if ive always wanted to do a 4bt swap into a ranger with a solid front end. your truck is sweet how low long did it take you to build it right from start to finish?

Lowell Hannam

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Thanks for the kind words I started research early in 2010 and it took aprox. 2 years to get it on the road and a year and change to fine tune and get it truly ready to go anywhere.
I am still working on things on her,even when I start my next project I will still be doing upgrades to the Beast.I went through many funding setbacks during the build but I think that happens to all of us on a project of this scope/magnitude and looking back most of the slowdowns helped the overall build quality, it is easy to get myopic on things. Even at the pace I went at I got ahead of myself a few times and ended up redoing too many things to make it a better overall package...but after all it was a experimental/prototype undertaking so its all good.
Steve.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
On your current set up in the Ford is the speedo reading off the transfer case? If it is, it won't matter what transmission you use unless you change transfer cases too. Most Ford 4x4's don't read off the transmission.

·
Registered
786 Posts
On your current set up in the Ford is the speedo reading off the transfer case? If it is, it won't matter what transmission you use unless you change transfer cases too. Most Ford 4x4's don't read off the transmission.
I'll see if I can find the info but there were 2 years GM had mechanical Speedo on the np241. I believe there is also an adapter kit for 241 t case to accept mechanical Speedo cable. Been a while since I have researched this stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i believe my speedo cable is comming off the transmission.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i believe my speedo cable is comming off the transmission.
If it's 4x4 the cable would be coming off the t-case. You could use http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/50-0207--dodge-nv4500-4wd-with-23-spline-output-shaft-to-ford-np205-transfer-case/this
Too keep the stock Ford case.

Or this to use VSS signal and drive the Speedo. http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

I had a bookmark somewhere with parts for these things. I'll post them if I find them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i deffinatly will not be using the t case i have now because it is divorced and an np203, thanks for the links! this deffinatly gives me somewhere to start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys i have posted some photos to photo bucket of the truck my user name is lowellhannam i am unable to post a link until my post count is up to 10, ill get some more detailed photos of under the truck, engine bay, tranny, tcase etc.. when the weather warms up a bit. i took these photos yesturday and it was -36*C with the wind chill so thats about -33*F so i cant take photos with my gloves of for too long lol but i was able to give the truck a bit of a long needed bath.

Lowell Hannam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trying to get my post count up so i can post a link for my photo bucket account, but i have been researching for a second gen dodge parts truck with an nv4500. im finding lots around for 3-4000$$ but they all have auto trannys. if anybody knows of any good auto wreckers in canada or the USA that will sell complete trucks please let me know. i feel that it would be best to buy a complete dodge truck and swap over the axels, motor, tranny, t case, and then i can sell some other parts off it if the body is in decent shape, aswell as interior parts. please post a link for any wreckers, thanks guys!!

Lowell Hannam

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Remember that your Ford has narrower front springs so bolt in heavy front axles are uncommon and thereby expensive,I've been looking for a D60 front for my Ford for a long time and all so far have been priced as if they were made of solid silver.I starting to think it might be easier to narrow one to fit.I am running a '76 D44 now and am worried that it is the weak link in my drive train.
Steve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Remember that your Ford has narrower front springs so bolt in heavy front axles are uncommon and thereby expensive,I've been looking for a D60 front for my Ford for a long time and all so far have been priced as if they were made of solid silver.I starting to think it might be easier to narrow one to fit.I am running a '76 D44 now and am worried that it is the weak link in my drive train.
Steve.
I have found a dana 60 front end off a 77 super cab for 1500 it is pretty near complete i believe, is that about what they are worth?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That is what they are getting for them,and it would cost that at least to narrow /overhaul one. So that is the cost to do business I don't think they will be getting any cheaper :(
If that one is local or shipped for that price and solid needing only "soft parts" that is a fair price IMO.
Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts