Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Doing a very nice job there. Engine even has the optional vacuum pump. Those are quite rare anymore. I see a starter spacer lying on your front tire. Is that from the OEM Cummins mount or for the Dodge. The reason I asked is there was a member looking for one of those for the Ford/GM OEM 4bt adapter.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Very Nice. I can appreciate your comment about the lack of a garage. I don't have one either. Anyway, may I ask where you sourced your leaf springs. Are they an after market vendor or from a local spring shop?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doing a very nice job there. Engine even has the optional vacuum pump. Those are quite rare anymore. I see a starter spacer lying on your front tire. Is that from the OEM Cummins mount or for the Dodge. The reason I asked is there was a member looking for one of those for the Ford/GM OEM 4bt adapter.
They sure are i ended up putting the spacer on the starter since i went the ford route with m5r2 5 speed behind the 4bt it came along with the starter originally
It originally had a t19 behind it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Nice. I can appreciate your comment about the lack of a garage. I don't have one either. Anyway, may I ask where you sourced your leaf springs. Are they an after market vendor or from a local spring shop?
All one can do is hope and pray for good weather.
The leaf springs i bought were aftermarket they are tough country 6 inch leaf spring all around no blocks sourced them through 4 wheel parts locally

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Digging your build man, keep us updated
Sure thing man, windows are coming in next to get the interior sealed up. Just waiting for them to arrive to get them on to start the install on seats,gauges, and more!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks! How are you liking your rig with the 4bt i was a bit in doubt if i had made the right choice with mine.
I'm liking my build much better since adding some performance parts. Initially was under powered, but, I was just happy that it was on the road under it's own power. I later swapped out the H1C turbo for the HX30W turbo. Added 3200 rpm governor spring and M3 fuel pin and turned up the fuel screw 2 full turns. The mods really woke up the engine. That being said, it also increased EGTs substantially. So, adding an intercooler is my Spring project. Granted, it's no Hellcat. But, the 4bt moves this heavy Ramcharger fairly well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm liking my build much better since adding some performance parts. Initially was under powered, but, I was just happy that it was on the road under it's own power. I later swapped out the H1C turbo for the HX30W turbo. Added 3200 rpm governor spring and M3 fuel pin and turned up the fuel screw 2 full turns. The mods really woke up the engine. That being said, it also increased EGTs substantially. So, adding an intercooler is my Spring project. Granted, it's no Hellcat. But, the 4bt moves this heavy Ramcharger fairly well.
Thats great to hear im debating weather to put a intercooler since everything is off at the moment. Currently only has a 3200 gov spring and fuel pin. Havent had much seat time just a 8 mile drive to and from to get the exhaust down pipe welded up engine seemed pretty happy, but after the 4inch exhaust & turbine muffler installed engine felt so much better , and sounds darn good!
But havent gotten to see what the engine needs and wants till i get my gauges and electrical installed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats great to hear im debating weather to put a intercooler since everything is off at the moment. Currently only has a 3200 gov spring and fuel pin. Havent had much seat time just a 8 mile drive to and from to get the exhaust down pipe welded up engine seemed pretty happy, but after the 4inch exhaust & turbine muffler installed engine felt so much better , and sounds darn good!
But havent gotten to see what the engine needs and wants till i get my gauges and electrical installed.
What turbo is on there now? If it's the standard H1C, you probably won't need an intercooler. Having a Pyro (EGT) gauge will tell you if an intercooler is needed. If you have to cut into the core support for the intercooler, it will be easier while everything is off. If installing a hotter turbo, an intercooler will definitely help keep the EGTs down. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The basic rule is anything over the base 105 HP needs an intercooler regardless of what turbo it has. More power generally means more fuel and higher boost which makes more heat. Your engine appears to be a CPL767 that was used in Ford E350 vans. That tilted exhaust manifold is sort of a clue. Like J10Mike said, if the power stays stock you probably don't need one, but might think about the future. May want more power and now would be a good time to fit the intercooler. You have a small H1C turbo that has a large turbine housing and you won't be getting any huge boost numbers from that even if you turn up the fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[
What turbo is on there now? If it's the standard H1C, you probably won't need an intercooler. Having a Pyro (EGT) gauge will tell you if an intercooler is needed. If you have to cut into the core support for the intercooler, it will be easier while everything is off. If installing a hotter turbo, an intercooler will definitely help keep the EGTs down. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
It has the h1c it came with just dont know what type of intercooler ill go with in the future. What intercooler will you be going with for your rig? i kind of want to go with something that will fit between the core support were the radiator bolts up to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The basic rule is anything over the base 105 HP needs an intercooler regardless of what turbo it has. More power generally means more fuel and higher boost which makes more heat. Your engine appears to be a CPL767 that was used in Ford E350 vans. That tilted exhaust manifold is sort of a clue. Like J10Mike said, if the power stays stock you probably don't need one, but might think about the future. May want more power and now would be a good time to fit the intercooler. You have a small H1C turbo that has a large turbine housing and you won't be getting any huge boost numbers from that even if you turn up the fuel.
It has crossed my mind alot of times believe me. i just need to get my project on the road and see how the engine performs. To better suit it to my needs but your right more power will be great I appreciate the knowledge! Just on a budget to get the whole thing painted up and assembled and on the road. once thats done power upgrades will sure be next!

·
Registered
444 Posts
It has crossed my mind alot of times believe me. i just need to get my project on the road and see how the engine performs. To better suit it to my needs but your right more power will be great I appreciate the knowledge! Just on a budget to get the whole thing painted up and assembled and on the road. once thats done power upgrades will sure be next!
That's exactly how I did it. I just wanted to get my project on the road and worry about performance upgrades at a later date. But, it was after finally having it on the road, that I realized...I NEED MORE POWER. LOL.
As for intercoolers, I've got two. Right after I bought a universal intercooler, I came across a Dodge factory intercooler for 91.5 thru 93 trucks for cheap on CL. So, I bought that one too. If the factory intercooler doesn't work, then the universal intercooler is going in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts