Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lovin' it!

You can't beat those old Fords, well, actually you can, half to death, but they can take it! It looks like you're making good progress, it looks really good, can't wait to see it running!;):beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:

The cab is on!!! This is such a huge psychological motivator for me, just seeing this thing look like a truck again is helping me to keep pushing on and get it back together. I can't describe the feeling of tightening the last of the cab bolts, it was euphoric.

Back to work!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another update:

1. Here is the cab with the urethane coating finished; inside and out. Ughhh, that was a lot of work, but no more rusty for this old girl.

2. Here are the doors, fenders, and hood in the background; same thing, urethane inside and out. Should help with the sound transmission as well, to what degree exactly I am unsure, but at least the water won't be able to eat it up, and the 3/4" minus the state of Montana uses for road sand in the winter shouldn't be able to chip this stuff, I must have it 1/8" thick on the leading edges.

3. To top the urethane off, I decided on some foil back insulation pad; should help keep it warm in the winter, and keep that exhaust heat off in the summer; not to mention really cut the dB's.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
More Pics for more progress!

1. Front windshield is back in, with a new seal. (BTW, these things are a pain in the ass, if you have better things to do with your time, just take it to the pro's.)

2. Here is the inside view, I also got the floor vents, defroster ducts, and wiper assembly bolted back in.

3. Got tired of feeling like an ant under a magnifying glass, so here is the back window updated with 3m Black Chrome, dark enough to cut the heat but light enough to let me back up in the dark of winter without squinting. 35% light emission.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Made some headway on the beast, getting closer by the day. BTW, this detailed stuff is very time consuming, cleaning bolt heads, painting everything, wiring.....takes more time that it looks on paper. I'm a bit neurotic though, so I can just call it therapy. Plus, elbow deep in a dentside, what's not to love?

1. Exhaust manifold, down pipe, and exhaust turbo housing back in. Ceramic coating from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA. Word to the wise; don't put this assembly on without the wastegate on as well. Don't ask me how I learned this...:emb:

2. Vinyl floor and shifter boots in. Word to the wise; a hair dryer is a great way to get the wrinkles out from being boxed up.

3. Headliner in with Alpine goodies. Word to the wise; don't forget any wires when you are running them up the A-pillar. Pull them all at the same time cause once a couple are in, it makes it extremely difficult to pull another one up. Why must I learn the hard way?

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
nice work

very nice I know what you mean on the time consumming items cleaning bolt heads etc :D
it's like having OCD no one else will ever know or see all the detail items
but you will know and that is what counts I have the same sickness :D
look forward to seeing more

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks great.Did you get that head liner from LMC?
I got it from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard; but I believe LMC Truck is selling the exact same piece.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good deal.Those head liners are cool with the radio and speakers up high.Great for a work truck also.Nothing down low to get messed up by mud,snow,and water being splashed around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know this thread is old. Do you have any close up pics of your engine mounts? Just trying to get some ideas before I get the engine swinging on the cherry picker. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I know this thread is old. Do you have any close up pics of your engine mounts? Just trying to get some ideas before I get the engine swinging on the cherry picker. Thanks
Post #14 has a close-up of the passenger side mount I made. Basically I just made them from a piece of 4x6 rectangular tubing (5/16" thick). Cut out two 'L' shaped brackets to tie into the frame, then cut my 45 degree pieces to weld on and set the height. Scott from Tennessee Diesel Conversions hooked up the motor side mounts for me (great guy, highly recommend). When mocking it up, I just put the motor and trans into position with the engine crane and floor jacks, when it was where I wanted it I made templates from cardboard of what the mounts would look like and then transferred it to the steel. I did had to add some gussets to the driver's side mount because of the extra length (I'm using a Dodge bell-housing so the starter is on the driver side). I don't have any other good pics because my shop is too dark to get good resolution; when it warms up a bit I can get the rig outside and I'll take some much more detailed pics.

Here is some more progress I've made lately:

#1: New wiring harness from Painless going in, as well as the brain boxes for some Dakota Digital instrumentation. New fusebox too with blade fuses, it's getting harder and harder to find the medium length glass fuses so not a bad upgrade for future repairability. Also got the door hinges painted and installed; along with those i sandblasted and painted all 4 million bolt heads for the upcoming front clip. Ugh.

#2: Dash panel is finally back in, almost looks like a truck now.Trim ring on the passenger side before I put it in, that thing is a pain in the ass with the dash mounted in the truck.

#3: Dakota digital instrumentation including boost/EGT/oil temp and an aux switch panel for Fog, back-up, cargo, and auxilliary lighting. New dash pad. Also all backlighting is now LED, glovebox is upgraded to an ABS plastic unit, and the harness loomed and locked down. Fired it up and no sparks, blown fuses, or anything not working. I think that is a first for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
When you have wiring that works right it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling and it's not from the fire and smoke coming from under the dash. Great looking job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are my hero. Not kidding, excellent work. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. I have a 1979 F150 supercab 4x4 that i am planning on swapping a 4bt cummins with a np205 and either a zf5 speed or a nv4500. It is still in the planning stages, excellent work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far I love my 79.

I agree with David and install the zf. I have no trouble with my t-18/435 but having a OD will help greatly when on the highway.

My truck has been upgraded with a rear dana 60 and the dana 44 upgrade to 8-lug outers.

If you would like any information, please let me know.

Below is the link to my build thread.
What year model 60 rear did you use and where did you get the 8 lug outer swap? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you have any pictures of how you did the Np205 linkage? I haven't hooked mine up yet so I cant shift from 2 wheel to 4, winter is on its way. Mine is a 77 F150 with a 4bt hooked to a Zf-5speed married to an Np205. I imagine I could do it similar to the way you did with the NV4500.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts