Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my bronco
My dad bought it when I was 5 and gave it to me when I was 15. I will be 30 next month and have decided that my birthday gift to my self will be fixing up my bronco so I can again enjoy driving it every day. I has basically sat since 2006 until a few months ago when started driving it again to pull a small trailer with a 4 wheeler. The 9 miles per gallon and worn out 400 engine made the choice to go with a 4bt easy. I am fairly new, but I am determined to bring the old bronco back to a respectful state.
I will be asking lots of questions so I hope you all can help. Especially those that have done the swap on a late 70's ford.
Stage 1
The plan is to put a dodge NV4500 5 speed manual transmission and the 4bt into the bronco.
Stage 2
Put in the hydro boost steering
Stage 3
Figure out how to get the A/C to work with the new engine.

Here are some pics of the bronco as it looks now:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome Bino, that's a nice old Bronco you have for a starting point! The Ford chassis is one of the easier swaps for the 4BT, as the front chunk is on the driver's side & away from the engine exhaust. (but I'm sure you know this already) I have not seen many with this swap, not sure how much/little lift you can get away with - what are you going to try? Will your Bronco be primarily a driver?

Oilburner

PS: I hear ya on the AC.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on a 4" lift
The bronco will mostly be used to drive back and forth from home and hunting locations.
The only trailer will be a small one to carry my 4wheeler.
I would drive it to work, but I work at a chemical plant and there is always overspray or corrosive material drifting into the parking lot
Its hard enough to keep rust off down here by the gulf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Luck with your plans! I'm very interested in seeing how it goes for you because I want to put a 4bt in my '79 Bronco, but with a c-6. I hope to start my swap in the spring, in the meantime I'm fixing everything else on the truck, looking for a donor vehicle, and trying to do research. I've found lots of info on 6bts, but like you, one of my primary goals is to get reasonable mileage from this great old truck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
cool... about the a/c: check the belting/pulleys layout and mounting brackets of the 4bt-powered ford step-vans...
He 'may' have enough width between the frame rails to use the Dodge/low mount unit, much cheaper & easier to find. There are several 70's model pickups on this site which use the same frontend, perhaps one has a compressor mounted :)
<your results may vary>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts