Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally starting. I have all my parts in order and ready to go. The goal is to be running by the time the snow flies, which for me is about Halloween.

The point of the vehicle is a toy. It will not see offroad duty. It will be my super durable 'bug out' vehicle that will be reliable, get good mileage, be fun to drive, easy to work on and unique.

I've been planning for about 2 years and have been actively working since March.

This is where I'm at right now. The Scout is bone stock and untouched. I bought a bread van with a CPL1839 in it. I pulled the motor redneck style (see the pic) and ditched the tranny and adapter. I put in a lower gasket kit and had the IP gone through, turned to 200HP and a 4000prm spring put in. I adjusted the valves, put all new hoses on and a new belt. Then I painted it. Should be good to go now.

I bought a NV4500HD in parts. I completely rebuilt it (bearings, seals, synchronizers, new top cover and shifter) and put in a new shaft and the 5th gear upgrade. I bought a 2nd gen Dodge adapter and bell housing. I installed a new eBay special flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bearings rated to 400hp.

I sourced a NP205 out of a first gen Dodge to have a pass drop case. I disassembled it and resealed it only. The bearings looked good. I did however modify the shaft while it was out for twin stick purposes.

The motor, trans and case are assembled on my garage floor and are ready to install.

As far as axles go, I had Dana 44's with 2.72's in them in the Scout. Not friendly with my application. I plan on running 32's or 33's. I junkyard sourced the identical pair out of a Scout except with 3.54's. I have almost completed going through those. I have resealed them and painted them with POR15. From what I have researched, a 4BT will not clear the front axle with a lift (Thanks scout4bta!) so I am installing a Rough Country 4" lift before I begin the swap.

There is so much great info on this site that the swap should be fairly straightforward, but please chime in as much as possible. This is my first swap, so if you see me doing something stupid, please tell me. I won't be offended.

Things that remain unresolved:

Brakes - hydroboost or not
Radiator - which to use
Motor mounts - front or mid
Oil filter - possible relocation kit
Twin stick for case - needs to be built
Air intake - I think I'll copy scout4bta's cold air setup
Driveshafts - will mod once motor installed
Exhaust - ditto

Lots of work to do, but it'll be awesome when it's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I always liked the 80 model with the square head lights. Going to be a nice ride.
I plan to go with a s10 radiator, it fits perfectly behind the core support. That way my new 3 inch thick intercooler from cxracing.com will fit and the cac piping will connect under the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
cut………

Things that remain unresolved:

Brakes - hydroboost or not
Radiator - which to use
Motor mounts - front or mid
Oil filter - possible relocation kit
Twin stick for case - needs to be built
Air intake - I think I'll copy scout4bta's cold air setup
Driveshafts - will mod once motor installed
Exhaust - ditto

Lots of work to do, but it'll be awesome when it's done.
1. Definitely go with hydroboost
2. Stock Scout radiator will do fine.
3. I'd go for mid mount if you can.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'll echo the above, I love my hydroboost and mid-mount motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Definitely go with hydroboost
2. Stock Scout radiator will do fine.
3. I'd go for mid mount if you can.
1. Okay. You'll have to talk me through it when the time comes. I'm a little intimidated by the hyrdoboost setup. The breadvan has that dumb remote mount setup for the fluid tank. Seems to be not very practical for a small vehicle application. Do you suggest a different pump with a built in tank? Also I know that I'll need a different master cylinder but do I need a different proportion valve also? I'm keeping rear drums.

2. Glad to hear about the stock radiator. I'm sure I'll just have to get creative with the hoses.

3. The mounts will be the most interesting part.

I ordered my lift yesterday so I should be able to get on that by next weekend.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I buy my Scout parts from ihpartsamerica.com and Jeff talked me into a 2.5" Rough Country with 5" shackles. He said the ride will be much better than the 4" Rough country. (Unfortunately Skyjacker is just a bit too rich for my blood) He said the actual lift will be about 3.5" so it should mimic scout4bta's fairly closely. He also sold me the proper camber shims as well. We'll see how it looks. I'll def need new bumpstops and extended brake lines but that'll be for a different day.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
1. Okay. You'll have to talk me through it when the time comes. I'm a little intimidated by the hyrdoboost setup. The breadvan has that dumb remote mount setup for the fluid tank. Seems to be not very practical for a small vehicle application. Do you suggest a different pump with a built in tank? Also I know that I'll need a different master cylinder but do I need a different proportion valve also? I'm keeping rear drums.
Because your engine has the P pump you must use a remote P/S reservoir. EBay has them plus speed shops also sell them and a lot of vehicles today have them.
I've never bothered with the proportioning valve, no problems as is.
Astro Vans are a good source for hydro boost master cylinders, disk drum setup.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
I'll take a pic of what I have at home tonight. I was hoping to use the hyrdoboost off the breadvan along with the PS pump. Let me know if you think it'll work.
By all means use what you have. If you find that the brake master is too powerful or sensitive you can change the pedal ratio or change it out later, Or go to 3/4-one ton axles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Because your engine has the P pump you must use a remote P/S reservoir. EBay has them plus speed shops also sell them and a lot of vehicles today have them.
I've never bothered with the proportioning valve, no problems as is.
Astro Vans are a good source for hydro boost master cylinders, disk drum setup.
I have been trying to Also see if I could run a combo p/s and vacuum pump but am told it would interfere with the p pump also. Looks like I will also be running a separate reservoir.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go for it!

I would locate a part number for the master cylinder in case you need to replace it in the future.

Heres a good place to start: Stepvan Brake parts
That hydro/master cylinder combo won't be too strong for my brakes? I don't have a very big working knowledge of brakes so I'm just timid.

I also saw some reservoirs on ebay that appear to bolt on to the back of my PS pump. Is that true of are my eyes playing tricks on me?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By all means use what you have. If you find that the brake master is too powerful or sensitive you can change the pedal ratio or change it out later, Or go to 3/4-one ton axles.
Just reread your previous post. Change the pedal ratio? What's that? Sorry for the stupidity.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Just reread your previous post. Change the pedal ratio? What's that? Sorry for the stupidity.
Google "brake pedal ratio"

That hydro/master cylinder combo won't be too strong for my brakes? I don't have a very big working knowledge of brakes so I'm just timid.
I also saw some reservoirs on ebay that appear to bolt on to the back of my PS pump. Is that true of are my eyes playing tricks on me?
I have no idea how the master cylinder combo will work for your application.

You may have seen a reservoir attached to the back of your PS pump, I have no idea. I do know that you cannot fit a PS pump with reservoir combo (as on the VE pumped 4B's) to a 4B that has a P pump, it's an interference fit. You can choose one or the other but not both.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts