Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know what you're thinking, the 4bt is the easy answer because the truck is a half ton axle setup ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Well, that is true, however, I was wanting some information on how much more work is needed to make a 6bt fit. I was originally going to buy a 4BT from CA Truck Parts in Opa-Locka, FL since they have videos of their engines running so I could see the amount they smoked and the noises they made. I called to order a specific engine on their website, have it shipped and they said I could make an offer on it. So I told them I would call tomorrow after I asked my instructor at school if I could have it shipped to school since they have a forklift which knocked $125 off shipping. I called the next day and made a counter offer but stated that that particular engine had been sold but the hade 5 more just like it and I could order it any way I wanted, but I would have to make a $250 deposit in order for them to make a video showing one of them running. They said that they would refund if I wasn't interested in any of them but like a lawyer, they will probably come up with a reason not to refund the full amount. So I have held off on that route. I looked for new 4BT crate engines for $6000 but they are the newer style and do not come with the vacuum pump, power steering pump, alternator or bell housing.

There are a few 6BT's or whole first gens for less than that in my area so I was looking to go with a 6 instead of a 4. I want to use a ZF5 trans since I have a Ford transfer case in the pickup already. I know the 6bt is 1100 lbs and all but will the firewall need to be modified? Will the dodge radiator fit in the ford? Any other little things that need to be taken into account?

Looking to use the truck mainly as a commuter.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good to see another guy from NC on here. A few questions. What power level are you planning? A bone stock 6bt is 160 HP and 400 lb ft torque. Those numbers were the same for VE and P pump models, both non intercooled and intercooled. A intercooler is a very desirable item. Is this going to be just a daily driver or something special? A F150 drive train is not the strongest when you plop an 1100 engine in there along with its torque. That's about 450 lbs heavier than a 460 Ford. Main issues may be getting springs for the extra weight and the probable damage to the front differential if 4 wheeling is in the picture. The dana 44 is a decent axle but not unbreakable and we've had guys break them with 4bt's. One big question is will everything fit? I believe it should with not too much modification. Engine compartments on that series of trucks started getting bigger. May require some grille plastic grinding or grille support brace mod to get the intercooler in there. The Ford diesel 7.3 IC is popular to use in Fords. May be easier than trying to fit the Dodge type. I have one in case you need measurements. As for the radiator, you might consider the Ford diesel unit or possibly retro fit the Dodge. You mention using the ZF, but which one? There are 4 possibles. The S5-42 and S5-47 came in 3 different bellhousings. The ideal one would be the one that came behind the 7.3 F250/350. It had the best gear ratios for a diesel. To adapt it will cost you in the $1500-2000 range. I know because I have the adapter setup. You can get the SB Ford unit but it uses a small clutch and may not be great behind a 6bt. Both those transmissions should bolt right up to your transfer case. The other options are the S6 650 and S6 750 which came with the 7.3 and 6.0 diesels. Those two have different output shafts and would require a different transfer case or an adapter. They are also bigger and may require some transmission tunnel mods. Your rear axle is a 9" Ford which can be fairly strong. We just normally think on 3/4 ton axles with the 6bt. The Ford sterling rear would probably bolt right up but that would leave the front to be worked out. You'd also now have 8 lug wheels. Lots of things to consider. The main reason most look to the 6bt is cost. 4bt's are getting more scarce plus they are a bit noisier. Noise insulation would be one of your things to do. Would likely be custom since OEM Ford diesel insulation is probably long gone. I have a '90 diesel and wanted to replace the under hood insulation but it's no longer available and no one has reproduced it. Another issue will be engine mounts. There may be pre-made mounts available. You may also have to move the transfer case which will require new drive shafts and mounting. Like I said, lots to consider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts