Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 jeep in pretty good shape, rough around the edge's but its not rusted out or anything. right now it has 6 inches of lift , a set of 35" tires , axles with 3.43 ( I think, close to that anyway) gearing, dana 300 transfer case , T5 transmission and a 4.2L 258 inline 6 gas that has seen its day. so I got the idea that since I love diesel's and I have a 4d55 engine sitting in my garage with no other use becasue i was stupid and scraped my 86 single cab long box 4x4 diesel ranger last spring I might as well put the engine in my jeep.

I started out measuring the input shaft of the jeeps transmission and its the perfect length, but the spline is different my trans has a 1 1/8" 10 spline shaft so I need a new clutch disk that I found on summit racing , next was the bellhousing and the hole for the input bearing retainer was to small so I got it machined out but the bolt holes are still way off, next was the throw out bearing my jeep use's a linkage setup and the ranger had a hydraulic throw out bearing that doesn't fit over the larger input shaft on my trans but summit racing has that to. I'm also going to swap the gearing to 4.88:1 becasue 3.43 with 35's is way to high, the way it is now i can do highway speeds in 4th gear if i use 5th the motor is bogged down haha.

so right now the only snag i have is the bolt holes in my bell housing are not even close to the ones on my trans, i only have 1 hole in the trans that even touches the bell housing and it only covers up half the hole. so I am wondering if its possible to get some ear's welded onto to my bellhousing? I know a guy who is a very good aluminum welder I just need to know if the aluminum a bellhousing is casted from is good enough to weld to. i thought about a adapter plate but im worried the input shaft wont be long enough to get good contact with the clutch spline and pilot bushing.

but enough with talking here are some pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am of no help on your situation. But I am interested in what you have found out because I would like to make a swap also. Thanks

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Did you save the tranny from the Ranger? Might be able to use it's bellhousing on the T-5 if it had the Toyo Koygo version.

Also, does the diesel share the same tranny pattern as the 2.9L V6? AA has a T-5 to 2.9L adapter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never kept the ranger transmission itself but I did keep the bell housing, its the one in the pics. I have it machined out to fit over the larger T5 bearing retainer now I just need to come up with a way to bolt the trans and bell housing together becasue they are not even close to matching up. I'm going to use the original ranger flywheel/pressure plate with a 8" clutch disk from summit racing with a 10 spline center to match my trans. the jeep also uses a mechanical linkage clutch while the ranger used a hydraulic throw out bearing so I will be buying a hydraulic throwout bearing to fit the T5.

Thanks cRiPpLe_rOoStEr, its not the best cj7 on the road but for an 82 its in good shape. there wasnt very much rust when I got it and its all fixed now with the exception of the drivers side rocker panel there is a spot coming threw again I have to fix.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Have you seen how dieseltim mates the Isuzu 4BD bellhousing (http://www.4bdconversions.com/) to a NV4500? Can you add 1/2" for an aluminum adapter? If you used steel 3/8" should be enough too. You could get a bronze bushing machined to replace the stock pilot bearing but stick out the extra 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just looking at pictures of the inside of a t5 and it looks like I have plenty of room to drill some holes threw the front of the case of the trans and bolt the bell housing on. I will but the bolts out threw the trans with the nuts inside the bell housing, I will use 1/2" grade 8 bolts with lock nuts so I know they wont break or come lose and become a snack for the transmission. I would us an adapter plate but my input shaft is at its limit now for length.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Where do the bolts land? If it's between the ribbing the material is pretty thin and the bolts might pull through. The T-5 was used in a bunch of makes, maybe a longer input shaft is out there. Try the Mustang or S-10 maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bolts land between the webbing. A guy I work with suggested that I get a local guy who is very good at aluminum welding to weld on some ears to my bell housing leaving a little bit more material then needed so I can bring it to a machine shop and get it the ears faced off flush so when I tighten down the bolts I wont be drawing in the ears at all. I am also going to do some measuring and see if i can get away with a 3/8" steel adapter plate.

I also have some questions about the oil cooler ports on the oil filter head, I wont be running a oil cooler so I want to know if I can just put 2 pipe plugs in the holes or should I run a short hose in a loop from the two ports. they both go to the outer ring of the oil filter and behind the oil filter and there is a little spring loaded restriction that makes the oil want the flow threw the oil cooler then into the filter but I guess the spring is there that if the cooler clogged up or something it will just bypass right in the oil filter, mind you now its not closed off normally, there is about a 1/4" gap letting oil into the filter past the cooler at all times. so i cant see a problem with plugging the ports.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some progress made, found out from spending the night looking all over the net that I can just plug off the oil cooler ports with no Ill effects. I also got the block heat changed out which is very important becasue where I live its a very cold 8 month long winter, when I used this engine in my ranger last winter the block heat was not working and the previous owner had one of them coolent hose heater installed but it was in a bad spot and 75% of the heat went into the rad.... so I pulled the old 400 watt one out and I just so happened to have 600 watt one in my garage that fit perfect, It was for a ford engine and the element was a bit longer and bent at a 90 while the original was at a 45 but it fits when its turned the right way. I also machined a aluminum spacer to bolt a ac delco 10si alternator in the ford bracket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some of you ( maybe most) will be unhappy to hear that I never did go threw with this engine swap due to lack of power for what I wanted so the jeep has a 5.7L v8 from a 79 corvette in t now with a few goodies on and in it, plenty of power now!

That said I'm keeping an eye out for something to put this great little engine in , I tried to get a jeep willys pickup but the owner will not sell it and I also looked at a jeep cj5 but owner wants to much money. But I did get a stand made up and got it running last night becasue I try and run all my engines ones a year at least to keep everything from sticking. so here's the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJSctPwIiE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts