Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to share my build. I’ve been contemplating for a while about putting a 4bt in my woods/hunting truck. I finally pulled the trigger and started the conversion. This is my first time doing a diesel conversion like this, so I know I am going to learn a lot along the way. The truck has already come a long way since I bought it a couple years ago. A buddy of mine had it sitting in a barn for a while and I bothered him every chance I could about selling it to me. I finally talked him into it, and then the fun began. It started out as “I’m just going to put some good tires on it, and drive it like that”. Well that didn’t last long. I have about a hundred pictures of the build since I bought it, but I’ll just share a few from along the way.

Here is a picture of my buddy with the truck the way I bought it

First thing I did was buy some tires for it, then the Nissan bed had to go

Project flat bed is underway

Off to sand blast and powder coat

While the bed was gone, I figured now would be a good time for some fresh paint

Fresh paint and freshly powder coated bed

When loaded, the bed would rub the tires some times, so I installed a 4" lift

Then we built some drop shackles for the front springs to give it the more desired stance I was looking for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I pulled the trigger and bought this 1986 Ford Grumman step van for a heart donor

Motor is out

After a little bit of degreaser and pressure washing, she came clean

22r is out

I didnt want to put a body lift on this truck, but I had to, due to the height of the 4bt.

Motor fits. Taking measurements for motor mounts

Well this is where I'm at as of yesterday, I will continue to update with more pictures and I know I will have some questions along the way.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That's a great looking little truck! Can't wait to see it all go together again.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Are those body mounts permanent or temporary? I would never recommend running a body lift that high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, they're permanent. I didn't want to put a body lift on it at all, but due to the engine being so tall, I had to for it to fit in the engine bay.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just judging by your last pic it looks as if you could shorten that lift some, mabe even half?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the measurements, it needed about 3", so I built it 4" to play it safe. Once I get the motor in, mounted, and the hood back on, I'll be able to see the smallest I can go, and build new body mounts.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I love that late '70s body style "Yota. I drove a rough beater 4x4 just like that during college for a bit. I'd love to have that gutless wonder to bomb around in again. Due to their ability to rust just by showing them a picture of the Gulf they are nearly impossible to get. I'm jealous and love the bed. Keep the updates and pics coming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well slowly but surely, this project is coming together. Motor is in and running. I just have a few things left before it is on the road. Radiator and electric fan will be installed tomorrow, then driveshaft will hopefully be made next week. Down pipe on exhaust is installed and just have to finish running exhaust. And for the people that were giving me a hard time about the body lift, it took every bit of those 4" in order for my hood to clear the motor. I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '83 Hilux that I'm wanting to put a 4bt in, but the 4 speed T-19 trans looks like the shifter lever is too close to the engine, so it would be up under the dash. Can you put some pics up of how the inside looks, and if the shifter has plenty of room to move? Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
so it would be up under the dash.
I've seen quite a few Jeeps with the same issue where the guys just added more bends to the shifter to get it back where it needs to be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
why did you do a huge body lift? is it because you were looking for transmission tunnel clearance? if so why not just cut tunnel and raise it for clearance?

·
Registered
215 Posts
From the looks of the front of the truck there definitely looks like there is room for the engine/trans to be lower. Another way to gain more hood clearance is to change the routing of the intake tube to make the engine shorter. I know where I'm from it is illegal to have anything over 3" for body lifts but Florida may be different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hav a question! where you get this bellhousing??

Then I pulled the trigger and bought this 1986 Ford Grumman step van for a heart donor

Motor is out

After a little bit of degreaser and pressure washing, she came clean

22r is out

I didnt want to put a body lift on this truck, but I had to, due to the height of the 4bt.

Motor fits. Taking measurements for motor mounts

Well this is where I'm at as of yesterday, I will continue to update with more pictures and I know I will have some questions along the way.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I hav a question! where you get this bellhousing??
That is a 7 year old post. Most likely, the bellhousing came with the 4bt in that 1986 Grumman van -

It looks just like the bellhousing that came in my 1986 Grumman van. I kept the adapter and went with a 1997 5 speed overdrive transmission (1997 Ford F150 with a 4.2L V-6).

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Yeah Russ, that's just a standard small block Ford bellhousing which was used with the T19 transmission and lots of other Ford manuals. Believe the part # is E4TA-7505-DA.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts