Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Don't honestly know if there are any fan blades of smaller size that would fit that Dodge assembly. Since that fan blade is metal, you could conceivably remove some material from each blade. Would just need to mark it carefully so as to keep it in balance. You'd be taking 1" off each tip to get down to 20" Don't think that would have any adverse effect on its cooling ability. Here's what the fan blade looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually you are in luck if you still have your 6.2 fan it should fit the Dodge clutch.
So you could get the Dodge hub and clutch and run your 6.2 fan.
Or
According to the Hayden catalog your 6.2 had the 2799 clutch so it could be simple as pulling the hub out of the mount and having it thrown on a lathe and turned down to .75in leaving a lip to center the pulley and possibly slotting the holes on the clutch flange you could actually use the fan and clutch off your 6.2 if you still have it. This would be a good time to replace the hub bearing as well.

Glendon

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Yoder, you might do that but there could be an issue with turning down the pilot. Most of those pilots are hollow so if you remove 1/4" in diameter you're getting pretty thin. If the stock 6.2 fan blade will fit then that would be much better. I'm a bit curious if the 1984 engine had a clutch fan. All the fan blades I've found for that model year were direct drive. The clutch fan blades seem to start with 1988 6.2 diesels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I have enjoyed this discussion. I have the 6.2 fan and it is on a clutch in my 84 Silverado. (see picture). I ordered the 5.9 eBay assembly and another bearing for the assembly as well. Looks like the fan might fit. I was wondering if I had to use the 5.9 Cummins fan, could I bend the tips of the fan blades in to maintain the correct weight balance? Looking at my fan on the 6.2 is they look to be bent at the fan tips.

Fan and Clutch Assy .jpg

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If the bolt pattern is OK, then you can just switch fan blades. I was just wondering about the fan because all the replacement blades were for '88 up 6.2 engines. Maybe they forgot the 6.2 came out before that. If it all works out you could sell the Dodge blade and recoup some money.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If the bolt pattern is OK, then you can just switch fan blades. I was just wondering about the fan because all the replacement blades were for '88 up 6.2 engines. Maybe they forgot the 6.2 came out before that. If it all works out you could sell the Dodge blade and recoup some money.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
My thoughts exactly. I will reapproach it when I pull the 6.2 /700R4/ NP208C drivetrain and let the forum know if it is a match. (Might just pull the fan to test it when the eBay 5.9 assembly arrives.) Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, I'm happy to confirm that the Hayden clutch 2799 does work on the 4bt if you can get the hub turned down and massage the mounting bolt holes a little with a dremel, installed mine Thursday and it worked nicely. I went with the Hayden after reading a lot of bad reviews on the Duralast clutch. Going with the Dodge clutch as you are doing should be just as easy and they have the same fan mount diameter and bolt pattern as well.👍

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
The verdict is in. I ordered the 5.9 fan clutch/pulley assembly. I removed the 6.2 fan from from my 6.2. Engine. After the swap I found that the 6.2 fan (19.5 inch) does fit on the 5.9 clutch assembly. I was disappointed that the fan on the 5.9 clutch assembly was bend/damaged upon arrival (see pics), but am elated that the 6.2 fan fits. It solves the problem.

Another thing I noticed was the assembly I purchases has reverse threads when screwing on the fan/clutch to the pulley. Thus, I had to turn the nut right to remove the fan clutch. I was looking at the Youtube videos and saw that on the newer 24 valve engines the threads are regular right hand threads. I was surprised to see this.

Fan Clutch with Bent Blade1.jpg 6.2 fan on 6.2 clutch.jpg 6.2 Fan on Cummins Clutch.jpg Fan Clutch with Bent Blade.jpg

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Yes, the newer engines have reverse rotation fans. Early models are all standard rotation like the one you have. That old fan blade was really mangled. That's not the one shown in the photos on ebay. Glad the old GM fan blade fits. How did the bearing feel in the Cummins fan?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
The bearing had slight end play. Probably around 1/16 inch. Not much and really moot as I purchased a new bearing when I ordered the fan clutch assembly. Just have to install. I did look at the 4bt counter part and found they have enough meat to be turned down as mentioned above. I have a couple of them. See pics. As far as the bent fan that came with the 5.9 assembly; I was able to straighten it quite easily. The fan has fairly thin metal and easily bent by hand. The other issue I ran into was the 5.9 cummins fan clutch. When I unbolted the 4 cap screws that held the fan to the clutch some threads came out on two of the screws virtually stripping the holes. Now, I have to order a new fan clutch or enlarge and tap holes. Probably do the new fan clutch.

2 fan hubs.jpg

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I remember you ordered a new bearing. I've changed one out before and it's a bit of a task. Those are pressed into the housing. I didn't have a press so once I got the old one out and the new bearing started in place, I put it in my vice and just started tightening it and tapping gently on the jaws. It drew it right in. The Dodge dealers probably have a tool for that but I took my time and got it in place. A replacement fan clutch probably isn't all that expensive. Factory bolts were often coated with a sealer when you have steel against aluminum to prevent what happening when you removed the bolts. You might put some anti seize on them. Don't think they'd work loose. Same on the threads of the spindle where the clutch screws on. Threads stripping out sometimes happens on the flywheel housings. Bolts often have zinc coating or black oxide to prevent the electrolysis.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
I remember you ordered a new bearing. I've changed one out before and it's a bit of a task. Those are pressed into the housing. I didn't have a press so once I got the old one out and the new bearing started in place, I put it in my vice and just started tightening it and tapping gently on the jaws. It drew it right in. The Dodge dealers probably have a tool for that but I took my time and got it in place. A replacement fan clutch probably isn't all that expensive. Factory bolts were often coated with a sealer when you have steel against aluminum to prevent what happening when you removed the bolts. You might put some anti seize on them. Don't think they'd work loose. Same on the threads of the spindle where the clutch screws on. Threads stripping out sometimes happens on the flywheel housings. Bolts often have zinc coating or black oxide to prevent the electrolysis.
I have a harbor freight 20 ton press. I can use the old bearing to press in the new bearing. I ordered a new fan clutch and paid $40.00. Anti-seize is a good idea I use it often. I found that coating lug nuts is especially helpful as I have broken a lug or two in my time due to corrosion.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts