Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

341 - 360 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
You mentioned an issue with the starter fitment. Was you starter for a Ford 6.4 Powerstroke? That is what is specified for your adapter plate. The Ford 6.0 is listed as an option but may require grinding on the bellhousing for clearance. Unless someone screwed up at the adapter plate factory, the starter should have been a simple bolt on.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
char1355, agreed, it should be been a simple bolt on :rolleyes:. I made the adjustments to the block to fit the starter and the initial fit was there. However, the holes did not align as they should have.

The instructions that came with the adapter plate state that the 6.0 is the starter to use. Then the instructions state that a 6.4 starter is good as well. I went with the 6.4 as it is a bit more powerful and the starter housing does not stick out into the transmission bell housing.

Speaking of the adapter plate, and looking at Johnp77's build: 85 Chevy 4x4 4bt 4l80E, he had issues with his adapter plate aligning to the transmission that caused the torque converter to crack. In the process of figuring this out, he went through a few torque converters. I will attach the transmission bell housing and see what the run-out is. I may need some offset dowel pins to get the alignment right. I am preparing for this eventuality as the starter holes are off, what else is off?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #343 (Edited)
Pulled the trigger on the TPS bracket. Expensive little bugger,o_O but did not run across too many other options. Now the question is what TPS to use :unsure: and where to find a pig tail I can plug into the TPS to meet the Baumann OptiShift Controller wiring. The Opti-Shift has been in the box since the project began in 2011-2012. I do have the GM 4L80E wiring harness as well.

TPS Bracket.PNG

·
Registered
656 Posts
After you determine which sensor you'll need and the OEM application check the Rockauto catalog for connectors. Their catalog is an excellent source for part numbers. I no longer purchase from them because their return policy is unreasonable and because Amazon's prices are nearly as low as Rockauto's. The last items I purchase from them were oil filters. They sent an incorrect case of filters and I had to pay return shipping. I have since purchased oil filters for our 2004 Yukon from Discount Fleet Supply - Heavy Duty Fleet Products - Buy Online! - www.DiscountFleetSupply.com . The case price of WIX 51522 filters is about the same as Rockauto.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
I too use Rock Auto, but have yet to return anything. That is why I have never had a bad experience I guess. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Worked on finishing the motor mounts (attached to the engine) and just received them back from the weld shop today.

Mounts Welded.jpg
Mounts Welded 2.jpg
Mounts Welded 3.jpg

I also had the oil pickup tube reinforced.

Welded Oil Pick Up Tube.jpg

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
I purchased the HX30 turbo for the 4BT. What is recommended to connect the turbo air outlet to the crossover pipe?

Turbo to Crossover Pipe.jpg

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Normally, that turbo is run with an intercooler and there is a 90 deg elbow attached to the turbo outlet. As far as I know, there were no other outlets for the V band joint on the HX30W. See photo. Industrial models of the HX30W had a slip connection on the compressor outlet that might connect to the pipe like you have. See photo. To use your style compressor housing you need a custom part made to connect to that crossover tube. Member Eggman may be able to help you there. That is a fairly complex joint where the elbow and compressor housing meet. You would also need V band clamp 3918951 and the O ring seal. That turbo is not commonly run without an intercooler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
Nothing is ever simple. I would like an intercooler but funding is an issue not to mention the fab skills needed to pull it off. My son gave me an intercooler but it doesn't seem like a fit for my square body. Here are the pics.

Intercooler.jpg Intercooler profile.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Straight coupler

90 degree coupler

I think you could make that intercooler work with some fabrication and trimming. It's free, so I'd give it a try.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #352 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I will consider both. I just need time to think it out and look at other build threads where the intercooler is used.

Looking at the two couplers it would seem that a reducer could be used (2.5 inches to 2 inches) which would make the cross over tube work with the straight coupler while the 90-degree coupler would be used for an intercooler. Right?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looking at the two couplers it would seem that a reducer could be used (2.5 inches to 2 inches) which would make the cross over tube work with the straight coupler while the 90-degree coupler would be used for an intercooler. Right?
That sounds correct for the straight coupler to the cross over tube.

For an intercooler, you can use the 90 degree coupler or maybe the straight coupler with a silicone ELL or silicone reducing ELL. You can also reclock the compressor housing to make the outlet point in a more favorable position, if needed. The outlet of the HX35 on my Dodge 12 valve is pointed at ~ the 7 o'clock position when looking at it from the front.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
That is good info. Didn't know anyone was making a straight outlet for the HX30W. For $39 that's dirt cheap. Heck, the OEM Cummins clamp and O ring costs that much. The 90 deg kit is a copy of the Cummins for $50 where the OEM is around $100.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
I agree and love options. I would like to go with the intercooler but need a bit more confidence to head down that road. A working or understandable direction would be helpful in this situation. I am glad you guys are back in the discussion. When I look at my thread I try to fill in the issues as they arise. There are some great build threads here, but the frustration is not knowing how someone got from point A to point K when B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J are skipped and treated like they might have been common knowledge. Nothing here is common for me, especially little tidbits like this.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just need time to think it out and look at other build threads where the intercooler is used.
Link to Chevy square body build using an intercooler similar to the one you have. The photos have the PITA photobucket tattoo.

Maybe you contact Denny T through his website for more information.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Looks like a cool build. I saw the intercooler and wonder if the reason the grille is not installed is due to room constraints. I will give it a look since I just pulled the "buy" trigger on the 90-degree coupler you listed above.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Bolts came in for the engine mounts. M12x1.75x30 (3 each mount) and M12x1.75x65 (One each mount) torqued with thread locker to 80 ft/lbs. the mounts are completed for the engine.

Motor Mount Complete and Torqued.jpg

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
I am back to looking at porting the heads and exhaust manifold but will have to wait until Monday when the burring tools come in from Amazon.

Here is looking at the head... Looks like a substantial amount of material could be removed.

Attachments

341 - 360 of 378 Posts