Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

481 - 500 of 530 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Gave my first attempt to put the engine in the truck. Learned a few things and need to research other things. First, I put the torque converter in the transmission (after lubing the input shaft and seals with transmission fluid). After connecting the transmission to the engine, the torque converter became stuck and seemed to be pressed against the flywheel. I took it apart, put it back together, and took it apart again with the same issue. The torque converter is supposed to be 1.03 inches recessed from the transmission flange. The contact point on the flywheel is almost the same number from the transmission adapter to the face of the flywheel where the torque converter pads hit the flywheel. Since I am dealing with aftermarket products (Flywheel and torque converter) I am curious why this setup doesn't work, but since it is aftermarket, it seems to make sense. Any Suggestions?

20210130_124006_resized (002).jpg

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #482 (Edited)
After giving up (temporarily on the transmission torque converter issue I decided to put the engine and transmission together without the torque converter and test-fit the engine to add the forward mounts. This is where a few mistakes were made. The first one is the leveler chains were twisted a bit which gave the engine enough of a tilt the transmission adapter could not be bolted to the frame. The second mistake was the accessories on the engine (hydraulic hoses, turbo, and starter kept getting in the way of placing the engine where it needed to be. It seemed something was always hitting something. I will pull what I need to and tackle this again next weekend when I have another day off. Also, because I put my thermocouple where I did, the dipstick tube hit the pyrometer, so I had to make a small extension tab to move it over (Pic included).

This brings me to engine height. I have an AC compressor atop the engine. This lead to the question of how low the engine had to be in the engine bay. The front clip was removed so judging height could be an issue. The Problem: The AC compressor sits on top of a tall engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
I measured the distance between the bolt face on the flywheel and the adapter place with my rudimentary caliper gauge. It measured just over 1 inch. Close to 1-1/16th. I measure the foot on the torque converter to the transmission flange that connects to the adapter plate. It is short of one inch by about 1/32. Therefore, it will bind every time. I will have to go back to the machine shop and have 1/8 removed from the feet (mounting pads) on the torque converter. I didn't see this coming, but it is what it is. I did check to ensure the torque converter was in all of the ways just in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Now you see one reason why so many go with a manual transmission. On the AC compressor, that may be an issue with a GM vehicle. They tend to have a much lower hood line than Fords or Dodges of the same time period. Plus, with the hoses pointing straight up you'll have a couple more inches even with 90 deg hose adapters.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #485 (Edited)
Took some measurements at lunch to illustrate the torque converter issue. First, here is the measurement from the bell housing to the torque converter pads/feet which indicates how much room your flexplate will need to have. In the end, you should have a 1/8 to 3/16 gap between the flywheel and flexplate. When putting together the Torque Converter will spin freely. You can then pull the TQ forward and bolt it to the flex plate. The measurement from the torque converter feet is approximately 31/32.

Measurement from the Transmission Flange to the  foot of the TQ.jpg

Measurement from the Flex Plate Face to the Adapter .jpg
Next is the measurement from the flexplate to the adapter which allows the engine to bolt to the transmission.

Measurement from the Flex Plate Face to the Adapter-1 .jpg

Measurement from the Transmission Flange to the  foot of the TQ -1.jpg
The distance from the flexplate to the adapter is about 1- 1/32 which will not accommodate the transmission fit up. This would make one believe the torque converter is not seated correctly. However, we put the transmission vertical and slid the torque converter on. This has been attempted several times with the same result. Since this flexplate is a G-force, I called Destroked to see what they measured their flexplate at. So far no answer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Took some measurements at lunch to illustrate the torque converter issue. First, here is the measurement from the bell housing to the torque converter pads/feet which indicates how much room your flexplate will have. In the end, you should have a 1/8 to 3/16 gap between the flywheel and flexplate. When put together the Torque Converter will spin freely. You can then pull the TQ forward and bolt it to the flex plate.

View attachment 130280
View attachment 130281

Next is the measurement from the flexplate to the adapter which allows the engine to bolt to the transmission.

View attachment 130282 View attachment 130283

The distance from the flexplate to the adapter is about 31/32 which should be enough room to fit the transmission. Yet the TQ will not budge when the transmission is bolted to the engine.
I had the exact same issue with a 4l80e and my 4bt. Pull the transmission off and check to see if the ring gear on the flex plate is hitting the transmission case near the starter drive. I had to relieve a little of the case. Good luck. Just realized I may have read this incorrectly. I couldn’t turn the engine when the transmission was bolted up due to ring gear interference with the transmission case. If you can still turn the engine then it’s another problem. Do you have the flex plate installed correctly?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #487 (Edited)
Thanks, welderwiskey1,

I bolted the housing up with no issues. I also installed a Ford 6.4L starter with a snub nose to alleviate the starter as an issue. The ring gear does not hit the bell housing that I could tell. It bolts up solid. This is a problem of the torque converter not seating correctly or the aftermarket parts not fitting as needed. I suspect the latter. I will call Monster Transmission tomorrow to get their measurement of the recess of the torque converter in the housing. It might be the torque converter, or it could be the G-force flexplate. We shall see 👀.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks, welderwiskey1,

I bolted the housing up with no issues. I also installed a Ford 6.4L starter with a snub nose to alleviate this as an issue. This is a problem of the torque converter not seating correctly or the aftermarket parts not fitting as needed. I suspect the latter. I will call Monster Transmission tomorrow to get their measurement of the recess of the torque converter in the housing. It might be the torque converter, or it could be the G-force flexplate. We shall see 👀.
I got my 4l80e from monster as well. I’m running a PATC adapter and flex plate and the same Ford starter as you. I’d look at the flex plate. You did get the torque converter fully bottomed out in the transmission? It goes in at 3 different turns.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #489 (Edited)
I was considering the flex plate today. I emailed Destroked who stated I must run their flex plate with their adapter. I ordered a new flex plate from them and still asked the question of how far the bolt hole (where the TQ bolts to) is away from the adapter to see if I would have room for the torque converter. They acknowledged my question but have to go back to the engineers to get the answer. I hope the new adapter plate will solve the problem.

Yes, the torque converter is fully bottomed out. I had a few different people verify this. The TQ is only about 1/8th inch off. This could easily be fixed by the flex plate as it is a G-Force and the adapter is a Destroked. I would stay away from G-Force.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #490 (Edited)
New Flex Plate from Destroked came in today. After installation, the measurements were different as well. From the bolt hole (on the Destroked Flex plate) where the pad on the torque converter touches the Flex Plate to the Destroked adapter is 15/16 inch. The G-Force flex plate was 1-1/16 to the Destroked adapter. The new torque converter came in as well. The new measurement from the bell housing flange to the foot/pad on the torque converter is 1-1/16. Torqued the flex plate to 115 ft/lbs. The transmission is now mounted to the engine and ready for install. The TQ turns freely.

Destroked Flex Plate.jpg Measurement from the Flex Plate Face to the Adapter .jpg

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
char135, I agree, however, the torque converter should have been the same measurement. This is strange, to say the least. I have also taken the A/C compressor and turned it 45 degrees so the inlet and discharge are pointing towards the driver side of the vehicle. This will give me a bit more room when the engine is put in the vehicle (hopefully today).

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Welderwhiskey1, After torquing the flywheel I hooked up a battery and turned the engine over to check the engagement. The test was perfect. The starter engaged the ring gear on the flywheel perfectly every time. I have bolted the transmission to the engine and verified the torque converter spins freely. I will bolt the flexplate to the TQ before setting the engine/transmission into the truck.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
The answer is "Maybe". I more or less used another build thread as my guide. (13) 85 Chevy 4x4 4bt 4l80E | Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums (4btswaps.com) It seemed like he had plenty of room for his exhaust.

His clearance does not seem to be an issue, especially when he switched from a 700r4 transmission to a 4L80e which effectively moved his engine up 3 inches more making the exhaust issue a moot point. I have less room to deal with (see pics) and I too have a 4L80e transmission. Somehow this did not make sense.

And I am open to ideas. I do have a 6bt manifold that I can adapt as well.

Turbo Clearance.jpg Turbo Clearance 1.jpg

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
The reason I asked was your exhaust manifold appears to be the one that swings the turbo out away from the block like the one in the first photo below. Nothing wrong with the manifold but it repositions the turbo where the firewall may be a issue. The normal rear down drop manifold which is part 3912600 places the turbo closer to the block but it's not any farther forward so that may or may not help. See 2nd photo. Another option would be to use manifold 3901635 which puts the turbo up top in the center. See third photo. That one gains you plenty of firewall clearance so long as hood clearance doesn't become an issue. There are numerous down pipe designs but you need at lest 3"+ for clearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
If you look at my picture above showing the distance between the turbo outlet and the firewall, you will notice some type of sound dampening material there. If removed, I might gain another 1/2 inch. Additionally, the firewall is curved there. I have more room on the engine side of the turbo than I do on the outboard side. Does the 3912600 accommodate an HX30 turbo?

481 - 500 of 530 Posts