Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

601 - 620 of 621 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 · (Edited)
I had to relocate the tensioner to a lower position as the current location wasn't allowing proper tensioning of the belt. So I welded a tab to the existing location after drilling a hole and fitting it up a bit.

AC Mount Tensioner Relocation1.jpg
AC Mount Tensioner Relocation.jpg

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 · (Edited)
After the morning thundershowers, I was able to work on the AC mount again today. I added a small bar to the bottom to assist in supporting the mount extension. I cut a circular hole in the top of the mount to facilitate access to the oil fill plug on the compressor. I trimmed the mount to give it a cleaner look. Finally, I painted the mount.

AC Compressor Mount Profile.jpg Compressor Mount Hole Drilled for Access to Oil Plug.jpg Making the Lower AC Brace.jpg Lower AC Brace Completed.jpg AC Compressor Mount New Look.jpg New AC Belt.jpg Lower AC Brace Installed.jpg AC Brace Installed 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Worked on the radiator support today. I was able to get some things done, but ran into an issue when installing a new condeser. The new condenser is 1 row while the old condenser is 2 rows (or so it looks). The mountings were different as well. The cooling fans look decent.

Radiator Core Support.jpg Radiator With Cooling Fans.jpg

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
One thing I notice is that appears to be an awfully big radiator. Are you sure you need one that large on a 4bt? Those engines run cold. Except for when the ac is on, those fans may never turn on due to engine coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 · (Edited)
That is what the Chevy 6.2 came with. Looking at the picture I see another issue: I still have to fit the intercooler piping around it. One other thing is not apparent. The radiator sits more to the driver's side of the truck (Off-center). That makes a big radiator, look bigger when one looks at the picture.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
You might find that radiator to be too big. A 3.9 4bt doesn't make near the heat as a 6.2. As I said, the cooling fans may never turn on unless you have them set to come on when the ac is active. The true test might be winter time if it gets cold where you live. May take a while to get heat into the cab. On the intercooler, guys sometimes use the one off a Duramax which is quite wide. I'm guessing around 40-41" between the inlet/outlet pipes. Overall those are near 4 feet.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 · (Edited)
I will try this configuration anyway to give it a tryout. As it is, I am in an extremely hot climate and winters are mild, save this past February when the arctic air blew in and shut down Texas to the southern border. I can change this later when I save the cash if I have issues. As far as the Intercooler, unless it is a cheap item, I will use what I purchased. I will research it though, and I do appreciate the feedback. You have been very helpful and have made the build possible.

I just picked up some more of the exhaust pipe sections I had welded.

Exhaust PIpes Welded.jpg

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Those Duramax intercoolers run in the $300 range for stock type units. The aftermarket ones can go over $1000.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
I ordered the wrong condenser twice over. Both were guaranteed to fit. Both do not fit. They are smaller and have plate-type tubes that cannot be cleaned. the original version has tubes that can be cleaned. Here is the comparison with the pictures. Does anyone know where to purchase the correct condenser? Otherwise, I may have to reuse what I have after cleaning it up. The truck is an 1984 Chevy K10 Silverado with a 6.2 diesel.

AC Condenser Comparison.jpg AC Condenser Comparison1.jpg

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
O'Reilly shows an AC/Delco unit part # 15-6960 which is $234.99. Ouch. It appears to be a different design also but bigger in size. One designed like your old one may not even exist. NAPA shows one under part RNR NC3642A for $152.99. Strange but AutoZone doesn't show one. With one of the stores you could take the old one to compare. Rock Auto has the AC/Delco 156960 for $140.99. They show it has a 26" core. Don't know if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
I do not believe they make the condenser anymore. The NAPA shows the core for the gas engine K10s. Nada for the 6.2 diesel version. A choice will have to be made to either use the old one or make new mounts for the new one.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 · (Edited)
The part stores do not show a different part # for the diesel vs gas. Why would it have been different?
Great question. The NAPA version shows only for the gas models which indicates the diesel condenser is a bit different. Looking at mine, the width is approximately 31 inches. The difference in the condenser picture above shows the new and old are not close in size to one another.

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
Great question. The NAPA version shows only for the gas models which indicates the diesel condenser is a bit different. Looking at mine, the width is approximately 31 inches. The difference in the condenser picture above shows the new and old are not close in size to one another.
Back in the "80's" GM pick ups, suburbans and blazers used two different radiator supports; one for the gasoline engines and one for the diesel 6.2's. As you have stated - The diesel version was wider. The last time I checked (about 15 years ago) the only aftermarket radiator support body part available was for the gasoline engine versions. The aftermarket suppliers chose the more popular gasoline engine version based on what people were building at the time.

I believe you only have two "qwick" options. You can find a replacement gasoline version radiator support and swap it out however this will require a replacement radiator. The other option is do as you stated - Build a support for the A/C condenser.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Is the old condenser cracked or damaged? If not, don't see why you can't reuse it. Here is a company you might want to contact. They say they make the condensers to exact OEM factory specs so maybe they have one in the correct size. They say theirs are exact fit. Might call them. They have a toll free number. Here's their site. Chevrolet Suburban AC Condenser Parts, View Online Part Sale - discountacparts.com

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
I have looked at the site at a glance. I see them selling the same condenser I purchased twice over with one difference. They look to have the mounting pads with the condenser (at least they show pictures of the pads). That may change the game as far as fit. I will research a bit more.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
I called DiscountACParts com. They sell the condenser with the foot mounting pads. Seems like the way to go. Free shipping as well.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 · (Edited)
The Condenser came in today. I couldn't be more disappointed.

1. The foot mount pads were not in the box.
2. The box was damaged
3. The condenser was warped (either from something heavy sitting on top of it or manufacturer defect.

Condenser Ad.PNG 6-17-21 Condenser box damaged on arrival.jpg 6-17-21 Condenser Warped1.jpg 6-17-21 Condenser Warped.jpg

Picture 1 shows what was supposed to come in the box. Picture 2 shows obvious warping. Picture 3 shows the manufacturing aspect of the condenser. The whole condenser is warped and the mounting pads from picture one are missing. Mind you, I called the supplier to ensure the mounting pads were in the box before ordering. They confirmed they were, however when the box arrived today, they were not in the box. The last picture (blown up) really shows the lack of craftsmanship with the condenser. Too bad. I am in process of returning this part.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
I called the auto parts company that I purchased the condenser I am sending back. I do like the condenser although the condenser (minus the intake and outlet tubes) is approximately 24 inches. The condenser had fins that would not bend when you touched them. This is unlike the others I purchased that if you grab the condenser and even brushed the thin sheet metal fins, they would bend. I ordered another one and asked them to verify the mounting pads are in the box. It will be about three days to ship so by early next week I can sing praises or curse the company who made the darn thing. Who knows, maybe the one above was made on a Monday and the worker's mind wasn't caught up with the product quality. We shall see.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
The issue with that second one is the box was marked FRAGILE. That means drop it off a 2 story building and run over it with a truck. Box looks in about that condition. Have you gone down to a local Chevy dealer to see what they may have for your truck? It would be interesting to see if they have something different than the basic junk you've been getting. If you could find the OEM GM part number you might accidentally find an old one somewhere. There are companies that specialize in obsolete OEM parts. Unfortunately, their stuff was never cheap. Another possible source of parts is military. GM diesel trucks were used by the military but heaven only knows what the military part number would be.

601 - 620 of 621 Posts