Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
621 - 634 of 634 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 · (Edited)
Picked up the exhaust pipes which connect to the downpipe. I had flanges welded on for the V-Band Clamps. I am also fitting a section of flex tube. So far the flex tube is the only thing that is not stainless steel. Picture 1 shows the adapter which will widen the exhaust from a 2.5 inch to a 3-inch exhaust. The second picture is the flex tube that will connect to the pipe in the first picture. 🍺

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle part Rim

Here are the three sections together. The flex tube will attach to this assembly.

Musical instrument Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
I decided to update the thread:

CONDENSER: Still looking and doing more research. I cannot find the condenser (Period!). Every parts store wants to sell the 16x 26 or 27 inch version while mine is closer to 31 inches. I will have to use the existing one (or so it seems at this point).

RADIATOR: I purchased a smaller radiator (for the same truck with a 350 gas engine). It is three row aluminum and should fit. Sorry for the project delay, but I have been plain stumped over this. Is a smaller radiator to be, or not to be... that was the question.

Saying all that, I have no timeline on the truck (other than my better half continually asking me when the project will be done). I do believe she wants her backyard back. The other factor is the south Texas heat. I cant stay too long out there on any given day. The word "BRUTAL" sums that up. I am jealous of those of you who work out of a big garage. In the end, I hope to have a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Tom,

If you use the existing condenser, it will need to be flushed to clean out the lubricant oil. The oil used for F12 is not compatible with R134A.

The smaller radiator should work OK. My 4bt runs cool with the replacement radiator specified for a 300 CID Ford gas engine (I did buy the slightly thicker AC version).

Note on both of the above: The condenser has dual electric cooling fans, helps a lot.

Russ

EDIT: p.s. Single pass R12 condensers are not as efficient as the same size triple pass R134A condensers. Using the bigger R12A condenser "probably" compensates... All my AC installations used new condensers (never had a good original condenser).

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
The system was converted to R134A from R-12 years ago. I would like to find a condenser that would work, but so far nada. Here is my last thought... This is a universal condenser for the chevy 81-87. I do not need the drier though. I like the fact that you can choose which side of the vehicle the compressor is on when choosing the condenser. It routes the compressor discharge to the proper side without having to run a length of tube/hose to reach it.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
Russ,

Before I disassembled my truck the AC system was working until I broke a line on my compressor. (the compressor mount broke and the solid aluminum part of the hose broke due to vibration). Not sure if this makes a difference, but I suspect the condenser is usable. It needs to be cleaned up and some of the fins straightened.

Tim

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Tim,

If the condenser worked before, it should work now. Just give the coils a flush.

Russ

Reactions: oldroofer

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 · (Edited)
Time to update the thread after the hot summer months are waning. I have worked on fitting a smaller radiator, not just because it was recommended, but to allow me to fit my intercooler piping. I ran into a few snags on the way.

First, the radiator (from Amazon) stated it was for the 6.2 Chevy but was way too short.
Hood Gas Office equipment Wood Machine tool

You can see the radiator doesn't reach the supports.

So, I worked on this issue:

Wood Rectangle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Tread Black Grey Style Automotive tire Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Black Grey Style Automotive tire Gas Wood Gas Auto part Machine Bumper .

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 · (Edited)
I was able to use the stock lower radiator support hose. It looks great. Even though the radiator is shorter, it fits because the length was knocked off of the driver's side. With the shorter radiator, the intercooler piping will fit as intended.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle wheel

The upper hose looked great too.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

I moved my heater return hose to the drain on the driver's side so I could use the stock drain location for the low coolant level sensor. I still need to hook up the transmission cooler lines though.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive exterior

After the radiator was in, it felt fairly solid, however, was not satisfied. I decided to shim up the lower supports and that is in progress. I also decided to start the intercooler mounting. That is in progress too.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
Worked on the intercooler this weekend. It started with an early morning walk at Sunset Lake in Portland Texas. I got the blood flowing to the brain.

. Water Sky Water resources Natural environment Beach

I got to pull out the Jobber Do. (I have become fond of the tool)

Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood Concrete Plant Automotive tire Wood Tool Grass Green Gas Auto part Metal Cylinder Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Auto part Rim

Then worked on Installing the Intercooler and Tubing.
Pipeline transport Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

I ended up one coupler short. It is on order though.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
Started the day with a 2-mile walk on Shoreline Drive in Corpus Christi. Caught the sunrise in front of the American Bank Center.

Water Cloud Sky Afterglow Sunlight

The hump hose came in. Note: I chose a hump hose as it allows for up to a 20-degree bend if case the ends are not in line with one another. This completes the inner cooler piping. On to the cold air intake.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Vehicle

I put the passenger inner fender on temporarily to figure out the air intake to the HX30. I just need to see how I will make it fit.

Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 · (Edited)
Worked on the Cold Air Intake some more, but I still need a support bracket or two.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

To fit everything up I installed the inner fender, the coolant overfill, the AC line to the Evap, and the battery support to ensure the location I chose would not interfere with anything else.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior
I also put some time into the transmission oil cooler lines

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

but was curious about the transmission cooling lines and (on the transmission) which port was an outlet and which was the inlet for the 4L80e. Found a good picture online:

Font Motor vehicle Parallel Auto part Watercraft

621 - 634 of 634 Posts