Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
681 - 700 of 701 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I will be looking at the sending unit and gauge this weekend. The ball valve will be in on Tuesday. I would like to have this running by next weekend, then restart the wiring project. I am looking forward to the first drive. 🍺🍺🍺

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Yes Russ, I believe you are correct on those Cummins numbers. Those are the minimum allowed pressure output and maximum pressure loss across the filter. If you're losing more the 3 PSI it's time to change the filter. Most people would never know that unless they had a dual gauge setup like I showed that would give before and after numbers.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
I was looking around and figured I would follow Russ and braze a fitting onto the fuel filter outlet banjo bolt. I could then take the filter outlet fuel pressure reading from that point. Then I discovered a banjo bolt that might fit the bill.

The description states:
"Description
Perfect for fuel system projects needing an access point for a high flow return line! Made from solid 3/4" stainless steel and tapped for 1/4" npt fittings. This is not the standard 1/8" tapped banjo used for pressure gauge installation. Be sure not to confuse the two. Replacement sealing washer are recommended when changing banjo bolts."
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 · (Edited)
I have also notice the temp probe for the transmission temp gauge is the nail head type. The connector seems to be obsolete, but a few places care them. I pulled this from another forum; it give some good information to what is needed for the various styles of temp probe connections.
I require the slotted connector (Second one from the left). I was also surprised that the old style probes/ senders may not match up to a modern gauge. I think it wise to order the gauge as a kit with the sensor.

Font Line Screenshot Recipe Glass bottle

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
Russ, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Inlet Valve for maintenance
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Inlet to the filters and pumps
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Discharge through the check valves
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Auto part Wire

The new Banjo Bolt
Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exterior

I have the fuel pressure sender and will install soon. I also picked up the transmission temp gauge and sending unit. I will need to drop the pan on the 4L80e.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Funny, I get called "Tom" more often than "Tim" which is my name. I have an uncle Tom whom I admire, so I am not bothered by it. I dunno, your installation looks every bit as good as mine. I am working on the harness now. I am after clean look. BTW, where did you source the replacement filters for the pump inlets?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
OOPS - Tim.

... BTW, where did you source the replacement filters for the pump inlets?
I have not thought about replacement diesel filters in front of the electric pumps. I have just under 4 years on these filters and just a few thousand miles. I had to Google it. Turns out that Edelbrock sells a diesel specific filter (Edelbrock # 17312).

The appear to be a "special order part", not likely to find them at a parts store. I need to get 2 for my on-board parts stash (and some sort of thread sealant - not the place to use Teflon tape...). Summit Racing, Speedway, Jegs and Amazon sell them. I will wait until I get a big enough order to get free shipping.

Russ

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
I seem to be hoping from project to project. I have the wires from the fuel pumps connected. I could run one to battery and bleed the air out and test. I am still waiting on some fittings to connect the fuel pressure sending unit.

In the mean time, I started to think about the mount for the electrical relays and terminal strips. So I started constructing the mount.

The evolution saw works great for cutting metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Saw
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Asphalt Fender

Then started tacking it together
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Bicycle part Musical instrument

This view is upside down.
Window Rectangle Wood Gas Font

This is also upside down but shows the mounts on either side to secure the mount/platform.
Grille Wood Rectangle Bumper Composite material

A quick test fit to tell me I screwed up on one mount. I should have used a small level when fitting. Cant trust the eyes anymore.

Electrical wiring Wood Twig Gas Electrical supply

The main breaker and toggle switches arrived today.
Gesture Bumper Auto part Art Font

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Did some work today. I found that the horns would not fit as the intercooler piping was in the way. You know, when you rearrange things, everything else needs some type of an adjustment. :unsure:

So I extended the bracket
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Bicycle part

Welded the Bold head on the other side
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Installed the horns
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Cylinder Automotive design

My original design for the fuse/relay platform showed a discrepancy with my eyeball measurement. I recreated the bar that goes to the fender. It is close to level now. I painted it too.

Wood Automotive tire Tread Composite material Asphalt

I did a few other things I will post when I take the pictures. 🥃

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
I wanted to strengthen the relay/fuse block support so I added another leg to the back of the support. This helped me level the support as well.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Grey
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

I painted the pieces as well. Then I looked at the fuel pressure sending unit and decided on a mounting location. I attached to the brake master cylinder mount. In the end it was simple in design, which requires more thought than a complex design. Like Russ McLean, I brought the sending unit up so It is the high point in the fuel system. I added the ball valve for bleeding purposes (Like Russ too.)

Train Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Rim

I still need a guard between my oil filter and a shield under the truck as the fuel hoses are over the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 · (Edited)
I agree with another post, it has been cold to work in the weather. I did look at the wiring this weekend and came up with a few observations.

*** You ask five people what is the best way to crimp wires and you get five answers.

I purchased a waterproof relay box in November.

I was debating how to crimp the wires and quickly found my three favorite tools for the task.

Guitar accessory Nipper Hand tool Tool Wood

The wire cutters are great and double as wire strippers

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Wire Wrist Rim

The Wire Strippers are second to none. I love this tool. It is fast and easy to strip wires. One of the best tools ever.

Gesture Liquid Font Electric blue Screenshot

The Barrel Crimpers are also the way to go

Font Auto part Screenshot Tool Composite material

The crimps are strong as ever. I had to trim the crimp that went around the 18 gauge wire, otherwise it will be too long. I did not have to cut back on the crimps when using 12 gauge wire. (Note: You will only need to trim the part that goes around the wiring insulation.)

Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Gas String instrument accessory Cable
Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Font Automotive design
Wood Hand tool Electrical wiring Electronic component Data transfer cable
Font Material property Wood Metal Jewellery
Wood Gesture Revolver Finger Eyewear

They just snap into the relay box.

Hand Finger Electrical wiring Gas Engineering

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
The box is waterproof. I like to think of it as bug proof as well.

Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Cable Engineering
Light Electrical wiring Line Red Electricity

The wire sizes are different as two are 18 gauge (Control Circuit) and the others are 12 gauge to do the work. My color coding follows a relay that came in a kit. My red wire is the pin 30 wire (input going to the Load, 12 gauge). My blue wire is the wire to the load (Pin 87). The other two wires are white (pin 86, from the trigger source) and black which is the ground (pin 85).

Finger Electrical wiring Wood Thumb Cable

At one point, I said, this looks like a mess. But it makes logical sense. I just need to arrange the wires by color and run them to the 1) ground for black wires 2) Fuse for red wires 3) Load for blue wires, and 4) trigger source (switch) for white wires.

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Automotive design

I also need to complete the layout for the terminal blocks, fuse block and relay box. The sheet metal came from my neighbor's oven he threw out the other day. The tray is the inside of the oven drawer located at the bottom of the oven. This should work over the frame I put in last week.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Gadget Electrical wiring

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
I ordered the transmission oil temp gauge (Previously mentioned) but did not like the idea of drilling out the pan and putting an adapter through it with plastic seals. I looked around and then decided that it would be nice to have a drain plug as well. I found this:

Bumper Font Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Screenshot

I was impressed by the design. That being said, I know nothing about this brand. I did like the YouTube video which explained the operation. I believe I can forego the transmission cooler, but will probably install it anyway. I have never seen a cooler inside the pan before.

Here is the video link:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Tim,

One more picture - took me a while to take it...

Gas Technology Electrical wiring Cable Machine

It is under the hood, near the fuel filter. Easy to yes when bleeding.

Note the weather resistant switch - I killed 2 non-weather resistant switches.

Russ

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Amazon "Prime" 😂, you push the button and a package shows up? 🤣🤣🤣 Unless it goes through LA right?

Seriously, I was wondering about this switch in your system. It is in my plan to put one in. In fact, i picked up a float switch for this purpose. The lever makes it easy to turn on and off. My neighbor put one in his truck. Works great.

Rectangle Font Computer data storage Flash memory Sleeve

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 · (Edited)
Worked on the Exhaust Shield today.

The problem encountered was the new exhaust pipe runs underneath the tank selector valve. A shield was needed in case of a fuel leak.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

The first issue was moving the exhaust hanger 6 inches back which was only a matter of unbolting and rebolting.

I used the sheet metal from an oven drawer to build the shield.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

It turned out better than expected (below is the bottom view of the shield).

Rectangle Wood Door Road surface Bumper

Installation was easy. This is the view from underneath the drive shaft.

Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Trunk

View from frame attachment points (looking up from bottom of truck).

Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper Automotive exterior

681 - 700 of 701 Posts