Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Yeah, life sometimes gets in the way of projects. Just take your time and be patient. This is a great project and deserves that. They sure gave you plenty of extra on that front cover gasket. Here's a good video that gives some tips when installing the oil pan. Mostly old school but that works.
Great video... Thanks! It made me wonder about the tappet cover though... why doesn't he seal that as well?
Tim

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
That tappet cover gasket has often been a headache. Not really a design to use any kind of sealant although some do try it. It is often a source of leaks. If you wanted it pretty much leak proof, go for the aftermarket billet aluminum unit that uses an O ring seal. It offers an option of having the draft tube or none. When the draft tube is eliminated, you go with a vented valve cover system. That billet setup is $225. Don't know if anyone has ever tested it, but it may reduce engine noise a tad bit. You find those vented valve covers in many aftermarket suppliers. They were actually stock on some Case tractors. Here's a photo of the Keating Machine tappet cover. A little expensive but a first class part. Also, here's what the valve cover unit looks like. It costs around $170 in the aftermarket. Haven't checked Case's price lately but they used to be cheaper. 6bt guy often use 2 of those. Looks kind of neat.

Attachments

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
335 Posts
We have had great success by putting a nice steady stream of rtv sealant on the sealing side of the tappet gasket & waiting till it just skims over to the touch....then installing it. Make sure the tin covers bolt holes are not dished from over tightening ( make sure are flat ) as some people try to tighten harder to stop leaking, which is a no no.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Thanks for the advice (Nascarmark and char1355). I liked the billeted cover and pulled the trigger on it. I can sell the stock cover and recoup some of the investment. The thought of no leaks was the factor. Nascarmark, the over-tightening of the bolts is a common reaction to a leak. When asked who was guilty, I would have to raise my hand for the occasions I believed the leak could have been caused by a loose bolt.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
KDP fix. Found this on Ebay. They delivered it to me and I was happy. The seller contacted me and stated they were sorry I did not receive it. I explained that I did and it was timely. They sent another one anyway. Is that great service or what?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Tappet Cover Update: Keating Machine.

I could not install the tappet cover from Keating Machine and feel like I just threw away $225.00. I was impressed with the tappet cover out of the box. It looks extremely well made. My impression changed when I tried to install it. The cover for the tappet cover vent routes the plumbing into the fuel filter. I could install the tappet cover but then could not install the fuel filter.

Next, i removed the close nipple and elbow I installed and tried to reinstall the fuel filter. As luck would have it, the fuel filter could not be installed due to the protrusion of the cap screws on the vent cover. So I removed the two of the four cap screws to make room for the filter. As it turned out, the vent cover which attaches to the tappet cover protrudes enough on its own to prevent the fuel filter installation.

I have included pics and have reached out to Keating machine for resolve.

The first picture shows the tappet cover with the close nipple, 90 degree angle and hose barb fitting.
The second picture shows the fittings are in the way of the fuel filter install
The third picture shows how close the fuel filter would line up without the fittings to connect the vent pipe/hose. Again, removing the two cap screws from the vent plate also did not give me enough room to install the fuel filter.

Tim New Tappet Cover.jpg Fuel Filter wont fit with new Plumbing.jpg Fuel Filter wont Fit with New Tappet Cover.jpg

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
335 Posts
Well that sucks. Keating is a decent company so I’m sure they will look after you one way or another.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Fuel Filter wont fit with new Plumbing1.jpg Fuel Filter Tappet Cover Clearance.jpg Here are a few more pics. The first pic shows how much in the way the vent elbow is. The second is how much the filter literally covers the hole. Note, the two cap screws behind the filter are not installed and I am in fear of forcing the filter on as it is already pressed against the vent cover.

Tim

·
Registered
588 Posts
View attachment 126531 View attachment 126532 Here are a few more pics. The first pic shows how much in the way the vent elbow is. The second is how much the filter literally covers the hole. Note, the two cap screws behind the filter are not installed and I am in fear of forcing the filter on as it is already pressed against the vent cover.

Tim
Can you make a vent plate with the threaded hole offset to the front and angled at 45 degrees to the front?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I was thinking along those thoughts. The plate would need to be thinner first of all. The plate that is currently on there is too thick to allow the fuel filter to be installed. The plate would need to be countersunk to prevent the screws from protruding as well. Then a welded tube running at a 45 degree angle toward the front of the engine. Possibly threaded. I am not a real fab person. I will see if Keating Machine has a solution first.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I wonder if their engineers ever installed one on an engine with the standard fuel filter? If you look at the stock part, the area for the draft tube is offset to the front, not centered like they did. Looks like an engineering oops. One option might be use the Cummins filter head 3930969 which was used on 4bt and 6bt engines. It spaces the filter out farther from the head. Problem there is it would require new plumbing hoses. One option that wouldn't need new hoses is Cummins filter head 3936315 which is designed for dual fuel filters. The 2 filters probably still wouldn't clear but when used on some Ford trucks with the 6bt, the first filter was replaced by a fuel heater. Just have to worry about clearance to other vehicle parts with that one. Of course that thing is expensive if you ran out and bought a new one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I will wait for Keating Machine first. Second, I was already thinking about the location of the stock vent verses the vent on the Keating product. I might try to manufacture a vent that will work. I don't have the machine to cut CNC parts, but would just make a square and weld the vent that I have from the original tappet cover. I don't want to re-plumb the darn thing. Just make it work.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
A bit more progress today. I painted the exhaust manifold with Rust-oleum 2000 degree paint. Not sure how it will hold up though. It looks like it will match the engine nicely. Exhaust Manifold painted.jpg

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Installed and torqued the head. Put the injection pump gear in alignment with the cam gear. One thing I didn't do was to put the piston at TDC and pushing the timing pin in before disassembly o_O. I was reading that the key-way on the injection pump gear needs to be at approx 4:30 to be at TDC. Looks like I am not far off the mark. So I will rotate and push the timing pin in before installing the rebuilt injection pump.

The first gear train pic is before disassembly. Since the crank was polished, the machine shop wiped the marks I had off the crankshaft gear. Luckily, the key on the crank was a give away for the alignment. The second pic is reassembly. The head is torqued. Long bolts to 89 ft-lbs + 90 degrees. The shorter bolts to 66 ft-lbs +90 degrees. All torque was accomplished in sequence and stepped up from lower torques to higher torques.

Gear Timing Marks.jpg Gear Train Alignment.jpg Engine Head Torqued.jpg

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Update: Just got off the phone with Keating machine (speaking with Keating). He is very helpful and will look at the issue. He needs to dig his 4bt out and we should regroup in approx 2 weeks to see what we can figure out. I am definitely impressed with Keating and Keating Machine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep. They will, they bend over backwards to work with people. You know my billet craving & the oddball pieces I commissioned LOL.

Well that sucks. Keating is a decent company so I’m sure they will look after you one way or another.
I've had a couple one off pieces CNC'd by them; they are real compliant given the right input. There're very few people in this current Deezul Racketsz scene that I trust - Keating Shelley, Nascar Mark DieselTuff, Dave Goerend, Jeff Garmon, Pat/Van Haisley are who come to mind right off the bat.

Update: Just got off the phone with Keating machine (speaking with Keating). He is very helpful and will look at the issue. He needs to dig his 4bt out and we should regroup in approx 2 weeks to see what we can figure out. I am definitely impressed with Keating and Keating Machine.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
If they could make that plate for the vent with the port offset to the front that should clear the fuel filter. Being centered puts it in an impossible position like you found. On a 6bt that probably wouldn't have mattered but things on a 4bt are a bit tight.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
If they could make that plate for the vent with the port offset to the front that should clear the fuel filter. Being centered puts it in an impossible position like you found. On a 6bt that probably wouldn't have mattered but things on a 4bt are a bit tight.
I agree. The vent plate would also have to be thinner or the base plate cut out to accept the thickness of the vent plate. The thickness of these parts do not allow the fuel filter to fit. Moreover, the vent plate would need to be countersunk to accept cap screws so they do not hit the filter. By moving the vent port to the left, it could feasibly clear the filter, but i would recommend the vent be at a 45 degree angle forward to ensure clearance.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Yeah the thing just needed a bit more engineering. There are other makers of that part on the market and theirs leave the vent area blank. If you want a vent you bore and thread the hole yourself. That way you don't have that extra plate on the outside. Theirs looks nice, but leaving the panel flat and just putting the threaded hole would have been sufficient. In fact, one of those is by Keating. The one you have must be a new design. Here's a photo of the other one.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 211 Posts