Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I happened on to an outstanding deal on a 4bt Frito van the other day. So the decision to put a 4bt into my 1984 RC has been finalized. Pay no attention to the stick/debris. The little monster fired right up and sounded great!!! Intercooled too!

This...

Is going into this.(I hope)

I'm planning an "off-road" focused vehicle, but want to keep it streeable/Legal.

The plan currently is: 4BT/A518 auto/NP205(jb conversions 3:1)/D60F/D70R. Planning some suspension mods for plenty of flex, cross-over steering, disc brakes on all four wheels(hopefully hydro-assisted).

I will keep you all posted! Should be a fun build. I'm fairly certain I will have a question or two along the way.

Thanks!
Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
So now I know where that van for sale on Craigslist went...:thefinger:

Just kidding... sort of.

I'm also in Littleton and planning to drop a 4BT into an old Land Rover. I'd love to see your project, and even offer help if needed to possibly gain a bit of knowledge out of the deal.

RW

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the van...Had to do it.

Your Rover should be awesome! I'd be happy to help where/when I can.
We'll get together sometime soon.

Andrew

·
Registered
197 Posts
You gotta take off the air deflector and show the Ram. I keep mine polished. Your gonna love all the room in there for that engine. Does your 4BT have a vacuum pump or hydroboost from the van?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D.W. The deflector is gone now, but so is the Ram! I'll get another. My 6BT RC has it!

Not sure on the Hydro boost, but it didn't appear to have a vacuum pump. Pretty tough to see everything while the motor is still in the van. Can't wait to get it here and get the motor out.

Andrew

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sort of like a REAL strange Christmas present, I drove the StepVan home today. Awesome is all I can say. It's amazing how the 4BT pulls a 7000lbs van along...Very well!!! This is going to be fun!!!

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went with Andrew on this little "Van Rescue" operation. The trip from the seller's place back to Andrew's place was gloriously uneventful, but once that 25 foot long, glowing white monster was parked in his driveway, you could FEEL the neighbors giving us the "hairy eyeball":eek: from behind drawn curtains. Pulling this engine and turning that monster into a pile of Aluminum that can go the the scrapper$$ is going to be "interesting".:eek:

RW

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
neat also, that is a air/air intercooled 4BTA :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a SWEET running motor. Andrew got a screaming deal, no doubt about it.

Now he just needs to figure out just how to get that engine out and turn that white monster into a pile of aluminum that he can sell. I offered to let him do the majority of the "dirty work" in my garage since I have the space..almost. We'll have to take the top off, but then it'll pull right in.

RW

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

Well...Weather pending, the P-30 is coming apart this weekend. Should be interesting, to say the least. I will take some pics during the "deconstruction". bounce

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Thanks guys!

Well...Weather pending, the P-30 is coming apart this weekend. Should be interesting, to say the least. I will take some pics during the "deconstruction". bounce

Andrew
Please Save me one of the vents on the drivers sides, I need one to transplant to the roof of my Scout. of course I'll pay$$

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Russ. Sawzalls it is!

Scout. We'll do! I'll P.M. you when it's out and Safe!

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
What time on Sat?

How much beer are you buying?

What KIND of beer are you buying?

None of that swill that I saw in the fridge last week I hope...:D

RW

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swill? What are you implying?:happyfinger:

Thinking 9:00am...Not for beer, but to start cutting.

Talk at you soon.
Andrew

BTW. Your chain is still in the bed of my truck. Remind me to get it back to you!!!

Andrew

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess we'll see in the A.M....I'm hoping the weather holds...

Andrew

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well. Big computer trouble over here.....I will post pics soon.

Russ! Thanks! I appreciate the help! Thank you!!!!!

Whew...Lots of work!!!!!

I did a ton more work today...

Andrew

1 - 20 of 37 Posts