Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from semi-sunny southern Arizona.

Not so sunny Southern, Arizona.JPG

This is a winter retirement project. The above vehicles are our daily drivers (2001 and 1994). They are economical to operate, but, I can't patch them forever. And can not afford new replacements.

Last September, I found a 1986 F150 on the Tucson Craigslist. The 300 CID, 6 cyl engine had 2 dead cylinders and the primer job was bad. It had a manual trans, so it might be an easy swap with the 4BT in my 1986 Ford E350 Grumman bread truck.

F150 arrival.JPG

Stuff sat for a while, I had lots of property maintenance before the winter came. I eventually got the front clip off and the engine/trans out. Then stripped out out all the ac / heat / defrost stuff.

F150 - no engine.JPG

Then patched the big holes in the firewall. The porcupine looking objects are Cleco fasteners - great for pre-assembling patch panels.

Lots of Cleco fasteners.JPG

After a couple of power washes, I used up a few cans of flat black that were on the shelf. Maybe not my best choice, flat black shows everything.

Flat black shows everything.JPG

To be continued...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Making it quieter

First, the truck needed to get quieter. Dynamat on the engine side of the firewall.

Dynamat on firewall.JPG

Then cope with the floorpan. The driver side had some rust. After some work with a wire cup on the grinder, there were a few pin holes. I patched these with JB Weld. Followed with a coat of cheap, brush-on, bed liner - to seal the floor from moisture. Do NOT forget to tape over the threaded holes before applying the bed liner.

Floorpan - in progress.JPG

NOTE: The black rectangles are some "cheap" asphalt based sound mats I bought locally. The are like asphalt shingles, with out the grit. I DO NOT RECOMMEND them. I am using them up on the flat spots - after preheating them with a heat gun.

The base model Ford truck cab is like living inside a bongo drum... I got a roll of insulation at Lowes - 1/4" thick "bubble wrap" with aluminum foil cover on both sides. Here, I am building up the back of the cab, under the back window. Use automotive upholstery adhesive to stick it to the cab.

Cab - Sound mat and insulation.JPG

I have more done, I need to take more pictures.

Later,

Russ

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CR,

Thank you.

I will run the step-side for a while, then switch to a 1952 Bell Telephone Company service bed.

This project is happening in stages. Not all of the stages were successful.

Stage 1. Acquire a 4BT powered step van. Friends found me a running step van (1986 Ford Grumman ex Hostess Bread truck). There are some threads on this site about the Twinkie truck. Deal of a life time, paid $800 and drove it 320 miles home.

Stage 2. Develop the 4BT and see if I trust the motor. It got a pyrometer, oil pressure gauge and an intake manifold pressure gauge. Then I got a Tiny-Tach. Installed a piston lift pump and new filters. Now that I had a baseline on the engine, a 3.400 RPM governor spring and added a little advance. Then added a free first generation Dodge charge-air-cooler (intercooler). All of this is on the web site (search Twinkie truck).

Stage 3. Drive the wheels off of it - we eventually peeled the tread off of a 20 year old tire. It was our 5th registered vehicle, we could not afford $930 for a set of new tires. We put the truck on blocks and it is now a storage shed

Stage 4. Prepare a 1986 Ford F150 chassis to take a 1948 IH cab and front clip. EPIC FAIL The 1948 IH front clip would not fit over the much wider (at the front) F150 chassis. Sold the IH for 1/2 the acquisition cost, cut the F150 frame in small chunks (got $32 for scrap), and moved on.

Stage 5. Bought the 1985 F150 short bed shown above. I will reassemble it with the 4BT replacing the 300 CID straight 6 engine. Going to use the existing 4 speed transmission and the existing 8.8 inch rear axle. Drive it for a while, determine what needs to be fixed. Get a good feel for what changes are needed to the rear axle ratio. I am about 40% into this stage.

Stage 6. Once I have a good feel for what is needed. I will install a M5R2 (5 speed overdrive transmission - I have one ready to install). This will require some reworking of the hydraulic clutch system - the M5R2 has a slave cylinder that is concentric with the input shaft. I have a 9 inch rear axle that will get regeared to put the engine RPM in the sweet spot. I probably will install the intercooler at this time. I also will hookup an aftermarket air conditioner that I have sitting on the shelf.

Stage 7. Rebuild and install the 1952 Bell Telephone System (telco) service body. Some pictures. The bed was converted to a trailer at some point in the distant past. Unloading it in my back yard.

1952 telephone company truck bed.JPG

There is a storage compartment for the spare tire on the driver side.

1952 telco bed - spare tire storage.JPG

A door with a pull out drawer on the passenger side.

1952 telco bed - insert picnic basket and cooler.JPG

And double doors in the back. I removed it from the frame (the back half of a 1952 chevy 1/2 ton ?) and made a dolly to roll it around the shop. The roof was rotted out - this picture shows where I am now with it. It will be many months before I get back to it.

Top removal #2.JPG

NOTE: I did successfully fit it to the first F150 chassis during Stage 4.

Stage 8. Body work and a nice coat of paint

NOTE: I have not painted a vehicle in the first 67 years of my life, I do not expect to paint this truck much beyond a basic hot rod flat or semi-gloss "quickie" coat. ;)

Russ

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good weather - Pulled the 4BT

We went away for a few days, came back to good weather.

I got the 4BT disconnected and pulled. The ground slopes toward the driver front corner. I ended up making a bunch of plywood panels for the engine hoist wheels to roll on. I had to use 2 come-alongs to move the engine hoist, one anchored to the chassis and one anchored to our 1975 IH Scout.

I was a little worried about the weight of the 4BT/T19 engine/trans combo. I eventually realized that the the IH 392/727/D20 engine/trans/transfer case combo is somewhat heavier. I had no problem with that combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
ooks great. i could come by and gvie ya a hand if you need it

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I was a little worried about the weight of the 4BT/T19 engine/trans combo. I eventually realized that the the IH 392/727/D20 engine/trans/transfer case combo is somewhat heavier. I had no problem with that combo.
so, would you also consider to swap a 4bt into the scout?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm watching this thread. I have an '84 with the regular bed. I got a few dings and some rust on the cab and bed I gotta fix but it seems like a good candidate. Looking forward to your progress.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooks great. i could come by and gvie ya a hand if you need it
Thanks for the offer. I am south west of Tombstone, AZ. This place is a 400 mile round trip from Phoenix. We will be in Phoenix on 13-14 Jan. Some friends are starting a local chapter of the Historical Vintage Truck Association. Maybe we could get together on Friday the 13th or see you at the show on Saturday the 14th? We will probably drive the Scout - One last gas-guzzling trip.

Russ

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
would like to do that,were is the meeting going to be at? and i wish i could drive the 72 truck that im working on but, it kinda dont have a running motor yet :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, would you also consider to swap a 4bt into the scout?
We thought about it. The Scout has a factory rebuilt 392 from IH (Franklin Power Products was the sub-contractor). It was in my 1971 1210 (3/4 ton) pickup. When the truck got hit & totaled, I swapped this engine into the Scout, had the automatic trans (727) rebuilt and transfer case inspected and resealed. This vehicle has lots of good miles left. This is our "spare" vehicle. This is a case of: "If it is not broken, do NOT try to fix it".

We have only one 4BT. The retirement income does not leave me with tons of spare cash. We decided to build a pickup truck.

Russ

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truck show 10 AM to 2 PM
Flying J Truck Stop
67th Ave & I-10 (South of I-10)

Same thing here, motor is now dangling from an engine hoist...

·
Registered
704 Posts
i get off work after 4;15 PM on friday so lets meet then. same spot or......

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Friday - some progress and some set backs

I got the 4BT & t19 combo loaded on a pickup truck and drove it around to the shop. While the 4BT & t19 was dangling from the engine hoist, I attempted a test fit into the F150. The load leveler hit the firewall before the motor mounts were lined up. I will have to modify how I hang the engine to the load leveler.

Also, the steering column will not unlock. It did work a couple of months ago...

I got the bread truck reassembled, it is now a full time storage shed.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
is the front clip off ?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
704 Posts
perfect

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
We have only one 4BT. The retirement income does not leave me with tons of spare cash. We decided to build a pickup truck.
sure... btw how many mpg does the scout achieve?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sure... btw how many mpg does the scout achieve?
9.5 MPG or a little better on local driving. More like 11 MPG on interstate driving at 75 MPH. Closer to 7 - 8 MPG towing a small travel trailer at 65 MPH.

1 - 20 of 358 Posts