Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago we picked up an 86 k30 single cab with a whopping 12.5k original miles.
Truck is a 1ton 4x4 6.2l diesel th400.4.56 gears.

Has a utility bed and was a brush truck.and had a 400 gallon water tank and pump in back.

We bought it originally to swap but hoped the 6.2l would last a bit longer. About 5 months ago it became my brothers daily driver/work truck.

well the 6.2l is falling ill, low power, failed injectors, excessive oil consumption etc.
looked at the paperwork and the fire departments maintenance routine. The truck had over 80 oil changes in 12.5k miles -averaging 153 miles per oil change. I am guessing the motor never properly got broken in!

anyways we are now planning swapping in a 4bd1t /nv4500.
My 4bd1t is a runner(was when I got it at least 5 years ago)

Needs an exhaust manifold and turbo so if anyone has a manifold I would be interested.

What would be a good turbo? Hoping for 200+hp maybe. Not looking for a hot rod but we do work the truck and plan on working it more!

he221? Hx30? I am more familiar with the same Kubota diesels and the 6bt. This is newer territory for me.

do you think the 4bd1t will be a nice step up over the 6.2l?

·
Registered
126 Posts
There’s a HUUUGE thread on what turbo to use. I’ll give you a synopsis: TDO4HL-19t. It’s like a cheaper, slightly more efficient HE221. Lol.

Big fan of that truck. Your axle gears may be a little low, depending on what size tire you have. You've prob seen, or used this sighthttp://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
I bet the 4bd will be a step up! Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can you share a link to the thread? Or the name of the thread? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
More than you ever dreamed of--from technical discussion to input on specific turbo models (Thanks to Dougal!):

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes gearing is low. Tires are currently 33”. going to need new tires soon and will probably bump to a 34” but don’t want to lift it at all.
I have used Grimm many times.

I am okay with 60 mph freeway speeds.

where is a good place to find an exhaust manifold?
Was looking on eBay and found they have a number of he221w for around $300.

need to look into which exhaust housing would be best suited. 5.5 ,6,or 7cm

There’s a HUUUGE thread on what turbo to use. I’ll give you a synopsis: TDO4HL-19t. It’s like a cheaper, slightly more efficient HE221. Lol.

Big fan of that truck. Your axle gears may be a little low, depending on what size tire you have. You've prob seen, or used this sighthttp://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
I bet the 4bd will be a step up! Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think most used the 6 cm3 one, I’ll scan around. Also, I believe there is a manifold that mounts the turbo higher up, and has the correct flange for the HE221. I’ll get a break later and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ll have to do more digging. Couldn’t find the thread I was thinking of. But I think this is the manifold, just has the t25 mount instead of t3.

I have one of those manifolds I can sell if you decide to go this route, it wouldn't work for my application so I machined an adapter to use the stock manifold. It is new.

Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one of those manifolds I can sell if you decide to go this route, it wouldn't work for my application so I machined an adapter to use the stock manifold. It is new.

Jim
I am interested. What was the fitment issue, what vehicle?
Ken

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone ever used a Borg Warner R2S compound turbo setup off the 3.0l Iveco?

I have been wanting to try one on a v2203 Kubota but haven’t had time.

its a K03 and B2

I will post in the turbo thread asking the same question

Vehicle specs for reference [email protected] -3500 rpm

seems to be a higher rpm motor compared to the 4bd1t and wondering how it would perform

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will double check the flange on the manifold, but I am pretty sure it is a T25 flange so I could have bolted the TD04HL directly to it. I didn't have the clearance to use it in the Landcruiser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts