Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start putting my 4bt in. I Just pulled the the 5.0 tonight. I have to pull the zf5 tomorrow out of another truck and convert the 88 short bed to manual. I have read some of the posts others have posted till my eyes hurt looking for ideas for motor mounts. Looking for ideas from some of u that’s done it and maybe might have some opinions that will make this go a lot better. I have some mounts from a transit van not sure if they would work
C7479BE2-B3C4-45EA-A1A2-810F8169864D.jpeg

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Engine mounts are always an item everyone wonders about. There's an entire section on those. The 4bt produces quite a bit of vibration due to its firing order. Engine mounts used in the delivery vans came in 2 types. One was a traditional style angle mount like found in many automotive applications. Those were fair but the E350 delivery vans that had them weren't too concerned about the vibration. The second style mounts were a Lords brand fluidlastic type. Those are vastly superior in vibration control. There are some similar designed mounts that look like the Lords units but none are totally identical in performance. Lords makes aircraft engine mounts and theirs would be considered the gold standard. Genuine ones are fairly expensive and not so easy to find in the regular market. Anchor makes a similar style mount in their part 2859. Those are about $35-40 each where the Lord model can be many times that. Both of those type mount must be in a vertical position, not angled. One possible Lord part number is J18569. Uptime truck parts shows them in their step van catalog as part W8810953. No idea of current price. Here are a few photos. Most guys end up fabricating their own mounts. Another thing that can help control engine vibration is the addition of an harmonic balancer to the front of the crankshaft. The 4bt does not have harmonics but the additional mass helps. Some have used the rubber type balancer off a 6bt Cummins but those are not really that good. Not heavy enough to make any significant difference. The one that Cummins made for the 4bt is a fluid type and weighs near 28 lbs. The company Fluidampr make a similar unit. Neither are cheap. The Cummins unit was mostly on marine engines and that setup is around $600. The Fluidampr units are about $100 cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
That mount number 87-133 is the Lord style mount. Pretty sure that one is the Anchor 2859. That Mill Supply part showed up on the forum 9 years ago. Most every auto parts store carries those and most all of them don't have any at the current time. Likely due to the virus situation. They can be found on ebay in the $20-25 range which is about as cheap as you'll find them. Here's a link to one that's $25.39 shipped. Pro Line Engine Mount Front Right 2859 | eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local orielly has the 2859 mounts. What’s your opinion on them for vibration going to be driving this truck 120 mile round trip to work 6 days a week

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
That mount has been used by a number of users. It is a fluid type like the Lords and have heard no major complaints. I think some of the van companies even sell those as the replacement for the Lord units. Main thing to be careful of is when you build the mounting brackets, the mounts must be in a vertical position, not tilted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts