Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1988 Jeep Wagoneer 4BT swap (Updated 04/06/08)

Have a 1988 Heep that has just blown motor number 3, guess I work it too hard when I'm pushing snow. The waggy has 4.5" spring with a 3" body, should make this swap easier as I have found out here. The donor truck is a 1994 Grumman 24' van from the very rusty city of Chicago. I paid $1800.00 for it and it only has 123K on the whole truck. Before I bought it though I confirmed this through the company records and I was able to speak to the fleet tech directly. As it turns out the truck ran excellent and I even drove it 150 miles after I got it home. The best thing about the truck is it's a intercooled version and came with hydraboost. I plan to put a 47RH behind it, more for the wife, and a doubled 203/205 combo, using and Offroad Design plate, Sorry TNDONOR don't have your wheelbase. I have a built D60 Chevy for the front and a D70 for the rear. Both have ARB's and 4.88 but I will be running 39's so I hope it will not be too deep of a gear. I plan to take the Premire Welder off of my CJ and the A/C converted air compressor, if I'm able to make it fit. Should be a tough vehicle so I can explore and not have to worry about breaking, elevation, MPG, or power when pulling the off road trailer I built to match.

Here's the van that I bought in Chicago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
sounds like you are well on your way.....and have a good game plan. Nice to have another fellow wheeler arround here. bounce Later, Aaron

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice pics :) I'd love to get out to the Rockies :(

Regarding your lift - you may want to look into some stock 7-leaf Waggy springs. The D60, having the SOA will net you about 6-7" alone and the 7-leaf's are great for flexing. Match that up to a shackle flip/drop kit in the rear to offset the SOA up front and you'll be golden for the trails :) Stock springs flex a heck of a lot better than lift springs in my experience.

You can source the flip-kits here (TT Fabworks) or build your own off the same idea like I did.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure he's planning to use a flywheel housing from a Dodge Cummins 6b.

Jim
bingo!!!!!bounce

I found a 1994 dodge truck that had a popped motor and no tranny. But the plate was there. The guy sold it to me for $40.00 with starter. good deal huh!:beer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice pics :) I'd love to get out to the Rockies :(

Regarding your lift - you may want to look into some stock 7-leaf Waggy springs. The D60, having the SOA will net you about 6-7" alone and the 7-leaf's are great for flexing. Match that up to a shackle flip/drop kit in the rear to offset the SOA up front and you'll be golden for the trails :) Stock springs flex a heck of a lot better than lift springs in my experience.

You can source the flip-kits here (TT Fabworks) or build your own off the same idea like I did.
Thanks I have a set of 2" SUPERLIFT 6 leaf that I plan to use. I hope it doesn't make it too high, although I have 39" for it.:beer:

I already did the flip in the rear and a extra leaf. I plan to remove the rear springs completely, lower the front spring mounts, and run a 56" suburban rear spring for a better ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sweet build! I love those fsjs. If I can ever get my wife through college I would love to build the ultimate towing Jeep with a 6bt. Something like a Jeep Wagoneer meets Ford Excursion capability.

Maybe when chrysler gets these new Cummins Motors with great fuel economy they are designing we can get something from them new, more like the a retro Wagoneer look and less like those ugly Commanders. Imagine it, seating for 7, mid 20's fuel economy and enough umph to pull a camper or your trail vehicle.

Anyway, enough rambling, :) nice rig, hope to see more pics. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
More Pic's

This is the first step to the swap is the easy part. The fuuny thing is the
4BT, 47RH, and NP205 is only 3.5" longer than the 360V8, TF727, and NP208, thats coming out of it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Old Motor

This is the tried motor that is now knocking thanks to a very large snow bank. I use this vehicle for snow plowing in the winter and was stuck, without the multi-mount winch ofcourse, and I over-reved the motor. OPPPS?? But it was time for the swap anyways, or so I told the wife.....HE HE HE :grinpimp: :beer: :beer:

The cool thing is I was able to pull the whole engine, transmission, and transfercase in one shot. All without pulling the front clip, however hindsight showed me I will pull the grill at least next time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's what I should have done.:D well two :beer: 's for you and lots of band aids, HE HE
haha, thanks! actually, compared to last time w/o removing the clip, it was a heck of a lot easier! other than disconnecting the a/c lines and draining the radiator fluid, it was four bolts on the cab; four bolts in the fenderwells; two body mounts and removal of the bumper - you don't have to deal with the stupid angles when trying to remove the whole package :)

- also gives you time to clean up the frame and spray it if you get ambitious!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts