Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone,

THANKS FOR THE ADD! I here looking for advise. I'm building this jeep for my Son and I need a lot of help. I'm excited to have found this forum.
I wanted to see if this would be possible and if so what adapter I would need for the swap.
I have the Jeeps full Vin: 2BCCZ8110JB541298.
THE TRANSMISSION IS A 3 SPEED AUTO TF999, The engine I want to put in is a inline CUMMINS 4BT, ENGINE #44755636.
All advise would be cherished.

Thanks in Advance.

Tony

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
A number of Jeeps have been done on the forum. First off, that transmission is not probably what you will need. The TF999 (also referred to as a 32RH) is only a 3 speed with no OD. Unless you run very high gears you run out of RPM's for highway cruising. Changing transmissions can be an issue with Jeeps with short drive lines. Possible alternates might be the Dodge 46RH or 47RH is you want to stay automatic. You'd either adapt to you current transfer case or use one of the Dodge units. Also, remember that the 4bt is a heavy engine in the 750 lb or higher range. Will require HD springs and maybe better axles to stand up to the weight and engine torque. The torque pulses of a 4bt can be very damaging to weak drive train parts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a lot more that needs to be done when swapping a 4bt.as mentioned the 999 is a poor choice for a 4bt. Strength wise and no OD. Axle upgrades, transmission/t-case frame stiffening etc are all part of the equation.
Have you looked into a VW tdi or Kubota. Easier builds generally

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check out my build. Not an automatic, but also no frame modifications! None are required into an 88 Jeep. Now, if you are going to rock climb and induce huge stress spikes by slipping and grabbing 40" tires-then thats a different ballgame. I have a 4" lift and a 2" body lift in order to gain hood clearance. As far as the weight, the 4bt is no more than the original 6 cylinder plus a winch up front. I'm adding a winch too, so we will see if my front sags. Setting level now but dont have much road time on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I may have my 47rh available soon,
Would come with everything from adapter plate to adjustable pressure switches to control lockup and OD.
Was going to use it in my Wagoneer but may be going a different route.

23 spline output so you may be able to reuse your np231 t-case

1 - 5 of 5 Posts