Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dieselfidder had ask about some pics of the Chevy, and I kept forgetting to snap some, so I went out tonight and took a few. Don't pay attention to the dirt, it is a daily driver, and it is too cold and nasty here to wash anything.-Nicholas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the little aluminum 5-speed, I honestly have never checked the gear ratio. I am going to say it is probably like a 3.08 or so ratio. With the gears, and the 33" tires, I have to be doing 60 MPH to shift into 5th gear, or it will lug the engine. I have only checked the mileage a handful of times, and it is usually in the mid 20's, with the highest being 27.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cool man!! So overall are you happy with the swap? I am probably 2 weeks away from fireing her up. If your getting mid twentys and the highest being 27 mph ill be happy to get that too. You probably have 3.73's, that what i have with the NV3500. Thanks for the pics!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem. I am very happy with swap. I will try to take some conversion pictures, when I pull the 4bt out, to do a freshening up and transplant into the '97 GMC I picked up.-Nicholas

·
Registered
230 Posts
did you convert to hydroboost, or was it originally hydroboost? Is that the original master cylinder? Is the booster from the P-van? Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
The most common gear ratio in 88 - 91 1/2 tons was the 3.42. Look at the RPO sticker on the inside of the glovebox and check for one of the following:

GU2 = 2.73
GU4 = 3.08
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
HC4 = 4.56

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you convert to hydroboost, or was it originally hydroboost? Is that the original master cylinder? Is the booster from the P-van? Thanks
I converted it to hydraboost. It is the master cylinder from the same year truck that I ordered the hydraboost from, which was '96 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually.-Nicholas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most common gear ratio in 88 - 91 1/2 tons was the 3.42. Look at the RPO sticker on the inside of the glovebox and check for one of the following:

GU2 = 2.73
GU4 = 3.08
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
HC4 = 4.56
From what I can make out the code looks like a GU6, 3.42. I know with this set-up, I can bury the 85 mph speedo, without hitting the governor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drool!

I can't see far enough in the future to say never, but it isn't very likely I'll be able to ever do one of these or own one.

We messed around with Chevies in the 70's, but were Ford from '79 to '03 for me and '06 for Dad. Now I drive an '03 Ram 2500 Cummins CR and Dad an '01 Ram 1500 gasser. The '01 would make a pretty neat 4BT truck except it hasn't got a straight panel on it ANYWHERE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts