Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Unprogress:

After dinner I was thinking about how far I'd gotten after a full day in and on the SJ doing electrical. That's when I realized I'd I forgotten to heat the heat shrink on the butt connectors for the RV plug. So this morning ripped the tape of the loom and finished the heat shrinking and re-taped.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Insulated the exhaust tunnel. Aluminum reflective heat shield on the engine side and double foil backed jute on the inside.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Working on the exhaust. Waiting on the hangers and more mandrel bends to arrive.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
The final exhaust, so far.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Thanks!
The fun is getting the pipe up over the frame, then run along the frame (that's 3 90° bends) and stay away from the rear springs and exit out the side somehow.

· Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Good to see you running. Sounded good.! Randy

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·

· Registered
366 Posts
Thanks!
The fun is getting the pipe up over the frame, then run along the frame (that's 3 90° bends) and stay away from the rear springs and exit out the side somehow.
The pride is in doing it, followed by having an awesome rig...

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
The pride is in doing it, followed by having an awesome rig...
I agree wholeheartedly. When I did the Scout 4BT swap I had a time frame to get it done in. 4 months later it was on the road, no sound deadening, no AC, no intercooler, no mechanical fan, among many other items that took years to fix. You get the picture. It was a big learning curve on what not to do and what to do.
I've been working on the Wagoneer for just over a year. A lot had been accomplished and still much more to do.

Being "retired" has it's benefits for long term projects.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 · (Edited)
A week and half not much progress to report. Last weekend went to a Army Reunion in Tucson. Meet some old buddies I worked with, had a good time. Came home Sunday 23rd felt fine. Monday woke up to my 3rd case of Covid-19. Since I'm in the the high risk category, started the Dr Z's treatment protocol. Felt good enough by Friday to spend a afternoon in the shop. Today Feeling very good.

Been working on getting the exhaust up over the frame trying to make sure the pipe doesn't hit the body. It's been hit and miss getting the alignment just right. Ended up putting in some alignment pins on the slip joints so the pipes go in the same way every time. Slow progress. Once the pipe is outside of the frame it needs to stay about .5" from the frame so when I put the 31x10.50r15 I have clearance between the tire and exhaust pipe. Probably will do some pipe wrap to control the heat.
The 1" body lift turned out to be mandatory for the exhaust.

Attachments

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Good news on the rapid recovery. I'm impressed how the exhaust "snakes" through the tight areas!

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Good news on the rapid recovery. I'm impressed how the exhaust "snakes" through the tight areas!
All I can say is Ivermectin works!
It would have been better to have the top two 90°s a reduced radius. I think the lip/body seam may have to be hammered over to keep the pipe from rattling against it.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
The piping between the air box to turbo fits.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 · (Edited)
The throttle needed some work.
The original throttle cable had a swaged ferrule that slipped into the back of the white plastic piece. The large allen socket head holds the cable, while the button head provides a floor for the cable. Both ends of the screws are polished flat so to not kink the cable.
I'm still thinking about adding another set of screws for a fail safe.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Simplified the design and added the second set of screws for a little more fail safe.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
Back on the exhaust. Now I have to figure out how to hang it. Because there's no room on top to "hang" the pipe it has to be supported from underneath.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
The exhaust is pretty much done other than a little paint and some lock nuts.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 237 Posts