Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Didn't like the way the exhaust tip looked. I wanted a turn out but too cheep to buy one, so spent some time on the band saw with some left over elbows.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Not much is going to happen until beginning of next year.
Had my much anticipated white tail deer hunt go off with out a hitch, or deer. Left for deer camp Nov 23 and came home early on Dec 2 because of a nasty wet storm that came in.
Just got home from Tucson. Spent 3 nights there and then will have 2 day trips to Safford to finish off the week.

Still putting off doing the wiring that needs to be done.

Funds permitting I'll order the 2.5" spring lift kit in January.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Not too much happening. Changed my mind about the ratcheting (floor) shifter vs factory shifter on the column. The only way to clean up the steering column (if I used the floor shifter) was to replace the steering column with one from a J truck. It would fit but I'd have to rewire every thing, no thanks. So I bought a set of used factory shift controls over the holidays. They came from back east so there's a lot of rust.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
Revised (custom) shift linkage is in.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Intercooler piping routing looks very neat and clean.
Thanks.
I did have to break the tackwelds on the drivers side pipe and rotate the 2 halves for better alignment.
Santa didn't leave me a tig welder for Christmas so my pipe welds still look crummy but they will hold.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 · (Edited)
Looking at fabricating a fan shroud, noticed that the fan tip could hit the fan shroud on the drivers side. Spent 2 days cutting, welding and drilling on the radiator support. The radiator now sits 1" more to the drivers side. Which also made more room for the radiator overflow/catch can. I only made the brackets, bought the can.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
When I cut the front bulkhead removing the cross piece for easier engine removal and install. I figured the opening would spread, it did, about 1/8". Enough spread that the holes were off center enough that the screws wouldn't fit.
The fix was to add a long screw between the two front radiator mounts and pull them together. Had 2 used R8 drawbars, cut off the bad parts and welded them together. One big long screw.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 · (Edited)
Now I need to figure where to hang a crank case vent can. There's no room for the can down by the starter. But there is room at the front between the engine and the radiator, both sides. I know that the later Dodge 6B's moved the crank case vent to the front of the timing cover. That would work but it still dumps oil on the ground. The Moroso can uses a -12AN fitting to attach the hose to the can.
I'm thinking about attaching it to a valve cover. "If" there's room inside I might be able to use a male bulkhead adapter. Cut off what isn't needed.
Another thought is mount it on the screw cap on the timing cover and use a 90° bulkhead adapter. If I mount it off center it might clear the injection gear nut.

Attachments

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Actually, the Dodge setup had a catch can although some fell off. Another possible is the top valve cover vents. These vent the vapor but trap the oil so it doesn't end up on the ground. In original application they had their vent hose routed to the air filter. Sort of like the PCV valve in the old days. You don't want oily vapor going into your intercooler so there would be a filter to catch it. Those PCV filters are only about $4 or you could use a catch can with a breather. Here's a photo of that setup and one showing 2 sets on a 6bt. Only need one on a 4bt.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Thanks,
I think the top of the valve cover PCV is too high and might hit the hood. But the price gets in the way too.
The third photo, could happen or something like that.
I bought the Moroso can for my wife's Jeep Liberty Diesel. Jeep in it's infinite wisdom routed the crankcase tube into the front of the turbo on the Liberty. So you know what it looks like down stream. But unfortunately there no room under the hood in the Liberty for the Moroso can. For now the Liberty has the old style, dumping on the ground.
I'm trying to use the Moroso can on my Jeep somehow.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 · (Edited)
Looked at examples of PVC relocation kits for the Dodge Diesel and all you get is a catch can like I have and 10' of hose.

I going to mount the Moroso catch can on the radiator support or near there and run hose from the tappet cover to the catch can.
Just ordered 5' of hose.

· Registered
366 Posts
Thanks,
I think the top of the valve cover PCV is too high and might hit the hood. But the price gets in the way too.
The third photo, could happen or something like that.
I bought the Moroso can for my wife's Jeep Liberty Diesel. Jeep in it's infinite wisdom routed the crankcase tube into the front of the turbo on the Liberty. So you know what it looks like down stream. But unfortunately there no room under the hood in the Liberty for the Moroso can. For now the Liberty has the old style, dumping on the ground.
I'm trying to use the Moroso can on my Jeep somehow.
They clear the hood, on a chevy/gmc setup, I use two (2) of those double cover units on my build, vented to air filter, no oil residue whatsoever.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 · (Edited)
One more thing to take care of again, the front of the transmission pan just started to seep, enough to leave a small pool of atf.
It's been holding the ATF for over month no problem, all of a sudden it lets go.
Mabe I'll try a cheap gasket this time. So much for the $20 FelPro gasket.

· Registered
1,898 Posts
The "Like" button is not appropriate - We need an "Oh poop" button...

Reactions: scout4bta
221 - 237 of 237 Posts