Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Next is the turbo drain. The weld(s) aren't pretty but they don't leak. Used the fixture for the leak test with minerial sprits, did have 3 pin holes but thats fixed.

Really need to invest in a TIG welder, even the wife said the welds look fat and ugly.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Remake of the turbo drain:
Tried to make the engine mount work under the turbo drain, would not work with what I wanted. So scrapped that one and went to flex tube with -10 AN fittings.

Tried to take this pic from the same point as the one above. The flex line now clears the bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Engine mounts: First mockups

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Now,,, you are planning on using thicker material for the mounts,,, Right?

I would also recommend running the gussets out to at least the hole for the Rubber Mount. Farther if possible.

Go look at the Base Plates of my Motor Mounts of page 1 of my Thread. The actual mounts are a different style than yours, but the base plates do the same thing.

On the Left Side I used the 4 holes in the block, and that mount is in line with the #3 Cylinder.

The Right Side mount had to snake around the turbo drain, drop down and then go forward to pick up the two holes at the front of the block. That mount is in line with the #2 cylinder.

You well know these engines weigh 750 lbs and vibrate like hell, so the mounts have to be solid and strong so the engine doesn't move around.

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Now,,, you are planning on using thicker material for the mounts,,, Right?
edit........
Randy
Randy, The mounts are nonfuncting models used for test fitment, better than using cardboard.
I plan on using 1/4" material at least. If I can find 3/8" I will, fully gusseted. On the Scout I was able to use 1/4" only because the mounts were mounted next to the base. These test mounts extent out 4". The final mounts may extend out further.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The DS plate looks like it sticks out pretty far from the front mounting bolts. Can you not use the center block mounting bolts instead? Or tie the plate into the center block mounting bolts?

I might extend the gussets a little farther out to the mount bolt centerline, but otherwise, 1/4" would be plenty for that.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The DS plate looks like it sticks out pretty far from the front mounting bolts. Can you not use the center block mounting bolts instead? Or tie the plate into the center block mounting bolts?

I might extend the gussets a little farther out to the mount bolt centerline, but otherwise, 1/4" would be plenty for that.
Johnny C,
As of now both sides extend 4" from the base altho the driver side has extra 1.5 because of the way it's made. The pasenger side mount will be centered on cyl #3 leaving room up front for the AC compressor. The DS will be centered on cyl #2, staying out of the way of the starter motor.
Some of this could change when the engine is setting between the frame rails.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts