Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Attached the trans to the engine for a preliminary look see. When the bolts that attach the flex plate to the crankshaft arrive I'll assemble the trans to the engine, start it up and run it to completely fill the trans and run it thru the gears to make sure it works. What could go wrong?

Looks like the trans dip stick might me in the way of the exhaust. I'm trying to keep the engine as close to the firewall as possibly. Jegs makes a 30" flexible dip stick that could replace the factory one.

Reactions: GLTHFJ60

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
One of my objectives is to mount the engine as high as possible so as to use the least amount of spring lift to clear the front axle. I'd milled the heater grid down as far as I could to make that happen. Then I noticed that the air horn on my 91.5 Dodge W250 sits lower (3/4") than the froward facing air horn that came with the 4BT. Only problem is now the heater grid sets too low for the new air horn. No problem I'll just weld the cut off piece on to the the new air horn.
Only 3rd time using the mig spool gun. Ugly welds. So the engine can sit 1/2" higher.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a mystery as to what caused that crack. That area does have some vents for fluid but they are very small.
I first looked for a replacement, best I could find was a used valve body for $150 on ebay. The plate turned out to be mild steel so easy to weld. The best I could do was the spot welds. The shadows are walls separating areas that are under pressure, so no welding there.
I will have to try your suggestion, thanks, man.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Electrical problems. Need a connector for the OD solenoid. Don't have salvage yards within 2 hrs drive so that's out.
No luck on finding a pigtail on the internet. Least not at a reasonable price. P.A.C.T. sells one for $49.00 plus shipping. I am not going to spend that much on one. Persuaded my wife to help in the internet search. She's an expert at researching, Nothing.
Plan 2, bought one (echlin EC11) that looked close enough and modified it to fit. This is just the prototype.

The fun part will be making it weatherproof.

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The Dorman 645-1000 does fit although it's a little loose but it does lock in. It will require some weatherproofing.

Did find that NAPA EC1456 $40, is supposed to be a direct fit, but I'd already ordered a dorman 645-1000 for $10, the EC11 was $15.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Testing the trans and T case

https://flic.kr/p/2kX8hnS
No leaks, no strange sounds or vibration. Guess I got the shift kit in OK.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Cool, Love it when a plan comes together.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Wow that sounds alot like mine! It will be quieter when it's in the Waggy.
As a side note: I saw a really nice Waggy for sale in Oak View CA a few days ago. I saw it as I passed by and had to turn around and have a look. I should have taken pics as it was one of the nicest Waggy's I have ever seen.

1987 Navy Blue with wood, new Tan interior, had a 360 in it , and I was considering buying it on the spot as I had glanced at the sign and saw $4500! after looking it over closely I went back to the sign and read a little closer,,, He was asking $45,000 for it,,, which might be a little high even for one this nice. It still needed the Gladiator Front Clip and a 4 BT or even the new 2.L which would have even been a nicer setup as he was advertising 1012 MPG and 150 to 200 miles on a full tank.

But it didn't have AC ! Which was a deal Breaker for me!!! Ha! Nevermind the $45K price tag !!!

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Wow that sounds alot like mine! It will be quieter when it's in the Waggy.
As a side note: I saw a really nice Waggy for sale in Oak View CA a few days ago. I saw it as I passed by and had to turn around and have a look. I should have taken pics as it was one of the nicest Waggy's I have ever seen.

1987 Navy Blue with wood, new Tan interior, had a 360 in it , and I was considering buying it on the spot as I had glanced at the sign and saw $4500! after looking it over closely I went back to the sign and read a little closer,,, He was asking $45,000 for it,,, which might be a little high even for one this nice. It still needed the Gladiator Front Clip and a 4 BT or even the new 2.L which would have even been a nicer setup as he was advertising 1012 MPG and 150 to 200 miles on a full tank.

But it didn't have AC ! Which was a deal Breaker for me!!! Ha! Nevermind the $45K price tag !!!

Randy
For $4500 I'd drive to Calif and tow it back. But $45000 if about right for a "restored" one.
As for the Gladiator front clip, from my preliminary measurements and observation I think there is room for the AC condenser/dryer to be mounted inside the engine compartment with all the other stuff, fan, radiator, intercooler etc.
Still looking for the elusive Gladiator grill.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
For $4500 I'd drive to Calif and tow it back. But $45000 if about right for a "restored" one.
As for the Gladiator front clip, from my preliminary measurements and observation I think there is room for the AC condenser/dryer to be mounted inside the engine compartment with all the other stuff, fan, radiator, intercooler etc.
Still looking for the elusive Gladiator grill.
Try that Boyce Surplus Outfit in Utah, they sell all the big Military Axles and stuff like that. The Front Clip would probably come off a M715, and they might have something like that laying around. I agree it probably won't be that easy to find a good one but at least if it came out of AZ or CA or UT it wouldn't be all rusted out. You're gonna have to paint it anyway.

You want to run the A/C Pump with the Serpentine Belt not the vee belt like I did. That way you cna mount a big Vibration Dampener for a 6BT to tame down the vibration.

My biggest problem with no A/C is getting something that looks right for the interior, preferring stock parts above all else. I can't believe that they didn't have A/C on that car. It would be unbearable to drive in the summer time here in Ojai, I can't imagine going anywhere in AZ with no A/C !!!

I'll ask around and see if I can scare one up.

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Try that Boyce Surplus Outfit in Utah, they sell all the big Military Axles and stuff like that. The Front Clip would probably come off a M715, and they might have something like that laying around. I agree it probably won't be that easy to find a good one but at least if it came out of AZ or CA or UT it wouldn't be all rusted out. You're gonna have to paint it anyway.

You want to run the A/C Pump with the Serpentine Belt not the vee belt like I did. That way you cna mount a big Vibration Dampener for a 6BT to tame down the vibration.

My biggest problem with no A/C is getting something that looks right for the interior, preferring stock parts above all else. I can't believe that they didn't have A/C on that car. It would be unbearable to drive in the summer time here in Ojai, I can't imagine going anywhere in AZ with no A/C !!!

I'll ask around and see if I can scare one up.

Randy
Randy I misspoke, I would be looking for the Gladiator grill, headlights surrounds (buckets?) and the 2 small covers.
My plan is to use the Factory AC evaporator, convert to R134A and enjoy the cool air.

Had plans today to put the engine on a makeshift stand and run it at speed to test the 3 gsk springs I installed.
Got the engine moved to the door and the engine lift gave out. Bought it in 1987. A new 8 ton long ram is on order, should be here next monday. Oh well need to tidy up the shop any way.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
... The Front Clip would probably come off a M715...
I first saw a National Guard m715 in 1967, when I worked for GE in Burlington, VT.

Steve,

I'll look around down here. I know a guy that has a Jeep shop truck of that era. A couple of back yards to checkout... And a huge military surplus yard in Tucson. My Google search is not getting anything up-to-date and no internet presence. I should be in Tucson on the 15th, I'll swing by and see it it is still open.

Russ

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Curb Weight:
Ran the 89 GW over the scales, 4600 lbs. Thats with a full tank of gas.
weight on the Front axle, 2400 lbs, weight on the rear axle 2040 lbs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The weight is good to know. My 12v 89 wagoneer tipped the scales at 6100.
That was before the d60/ Sterling and 35 gallon fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Had time to weld up the right side engine mount with some left over 3/8" plate.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
The Left side engine mount.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Lifting Brackets,
I think who ever designed the lifting brackets or should I say the placement of the brackets ought to be fired. I've never liked how they worked, could never get the engine level when it was tilted so it would slide into the engine bay easily.
Fixed it.

Now the engine lifts straight up and down, I can set it on the cradle, no problems.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. it took two tries to put my engine in my truck and that is with the front clip removed. I couldn't get it leveled from left to right.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I agree wholeheartedly. it took two tries to put my engine in my truck and that is with the front clip removed. I couldn't get it leveled from left to right.
Used to take me about 4 tries to just set it on the cradle, now its so easy. 20 years ago when I did the Scout 4bt swap it was a real pain getting it in doing it by my self. Now that I'm 20 years wiser I don't want to waste time fighting with it.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts